To shield or not to shield

Banderal

So, I'm a shadow tank. I know, way overpowered. I'm just not sure I'm taking advantage of all my overpowered-ness. I'm a 31/0/10 build. Have mostly Stalker gear, but I still carry my augmented WH Survivor shield. Been thinking about trading it out for a generator. I've read plenty about shielding being next to worthless in PvP, but I just can't quite bring myself to give it up. What do you all think? Is it worth it / crazy / the only sane thing to do to give up the shield and go with a generator? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm a shadow tank. I know, way overpowered. I'm just not sure I'm taking advantage of all my overpowered-ness. I'm a 31/0/10 build. Have mostly Stalker gear, but I still carry my augmented WH Survivor shield. Been thinking about trading it out for a generator. I've read plenty about shielding being next to worthless in PvP, but I just can't quite bring myself to give it up. What do you all think? Is it worth it / crazy / the only sane thing to do to give up the shield and go with a generator? Thanks for any help.

The tank spec relies on having a shield, so use one.

If you're wearing DPS gear then don't bother honestly. And don't take the kinetic ward talent since that's all about shielding. In fact consider switching to a 27/0/14 or a 23/1/17 hybrid.

If you're going to try to tank in PVP go all out, but I don't think you'll enjoy your performance.

If you're wearing DPS gear then don't bother honestly. And don't take the kinetic ward talent since that's all about shielding. In fact consider switching to a 27/0/14 or a 23/1/17 hybrid.

If you're going to try to tank in PVP go all out, but I don't think you'll enjoy your performance.

Also I thought I've read somewhere if you rip DPS mods out and put them in a shield offhand that your primary damage will still be lower... I haven't tested this myself, but will take a look at it in a day or two.

But look up any of the Shinarika armory/builds/guides/threads/videos and you'll see some of the exampled hybrid builds. Even then I would take those and modify them to your play style, hell due to field respec and a full lockout in the spawn room I might change up specs if its required.

IMO, I don't look at the OP'ness of being able to 1v1 or anything like that. I look at the fact you can be extremely annoying/capable of stopping caps or holding out till reinforcements show up in any of the 24/x/x builds. Also excellent at killing ball carriers in hutt ball...

But that's my play style, I am the one who will normally take one for the team and run to snow or grass or east or west, and just sit there if I have to. The one who waits near our in zone when a ball carrier passes that comfort zone of getting close to a cap.

But this is coming from a two week old 50 assassin that's called a noob or pos for having 16.8 k health in every other warzone i queue up in.

Also I thought I've read somewhere if you rip DPS mods out and put them in a shield offhand that your primary damage will still be lower... I haven't tested this myself, but will take a look at it in a day or two.

But look up any of the Shinarika armory/builds/guides/threads/videos and you'll see some of the exampled hybrid builds. Even then I would take those and modify them to your play style, hell due to field respec and a full lockout in the spawn room I might change up specs if its required.

IMO, I don't look at the OP'ness of being able to 1v1 or anything like that. I look at the fact you can be extremely annoying/capable of stopping caps or holding out till reinforcements show up in any of the 24/x/x builds. Also excellent at killing ball carriers in hutt ball...

But that's my play style, I am the one who will normally take one for the team and run to snow or grass or east or west, and just sit there if I have to. The one who waits near our in zone when a ball carrier passes that comfort zone of getting close to a cap.

But this is coming from a two week old 50 assassin that's called a noob or pos for having 16.8 k health in every other warzone i queue up in.

Wow bro, L2P.

If more stuff was shieldable I would make this compromise, but too much isn't.

There are plenty of abilities that your shield can mitigate.

Ravage, Gore, Impale, Vicous Slash, Vicious Throw, Obliterate, Snipe, Series of Shots, part of Cull, Followthrough, Ambush, Take Down, Assassinate, Maul, Unload, Rail Shot - just to name some important ones.

I wouldn't underestimate it.

There are plenty of abilities that your shield can mitigate.

Ravage, Gore, Impale, Vicous Slash, Vicious Throw, Obliterate, Snipe, Series of Shots, part of Cull, Followthrough, Ambush, Take Down, Assassinate, Maul, Unload, Rail Shot - just to name some important ones.

I wouldn't underestimate it.

Gore won't really be mitigated as it's the armor debuff that's the dangerous part of it. I won't address the rest of it. Too much is yellow damage, and you have to stack shield rating to make it really worth it, and at that point you're doing it wrong.

Gore won't really be mitigated as it's the armor debuff that's the dangerous part of it. I won't address the rest of it. Too much is yellow damage, and you have to stack shield rating to make it really worth it, and at that point you're doing it wrong.

I'm aware, but it will mitigate the damage of the listed abilities, so there is reason you won't address it.

Procing your shield also reduces the active cooldown of Shroud and provides you with force.

If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).

My recomendation is :

Survivor armorings

Stalker/survivor mods (critical rating/defense rating)

Force master/Stalker enhancements (Power/surge/Accuracy)

Defense rating augments(redoubt)

Skill tree:

28/1/12

Of course focus and resolve stim with dark guard up.

You will be a challenge for every DPS or Tank out there, 12/16 medals per wz.

Edited by _Zhatan_
typo

The damage from Gore will be shielded...

And does it go Shield Absorb > Armor > damage taken? so like 1000 damage initially gets hit by shield absorb for 20% to bring it down to 800 and then it hits the armor for the 38% more reduction to do 496 total damage?? Pretty nice IMO

Did a quick test on DPS mods in a shield and there was no stat degradation. So I retract my last statement. If someone else was able to get different results then I am at a loss.

Wow bro, L2P.

Yep there it is, because my skill level is shown by the quality of PVP gear I'm wearing...

Ohh wait not its not, since skill has no reflect on your gear, just how much time you can dedicate to grind it out.

It really depends on your style of play. Shadows/Assassins are one of the best classes for both PvP and PVE.

There are multiple ways to spec and play one really well in PvP.

It does give you some benefit, the shield, and you don't lose that much DPS if you mod yourself correctly. You can run the spec you mentioned with almost all DPS gear and still make effective use of the shield, and be really annoying to the other team.

Most people go with the focus, though. I like the shield, feels less squishy, even though a lot of attacks go through it.

If you want to do something at WZs drop the shield...rip off all your shield/absorb mods and go for 30% defense chance (defense rating).

My recomendation is :

Survivor armorings

Stalker/survivor mods (critical rating/defense rating)

Force master/Stalker enhancements (Power/surge/Accuracy)

Defense rating augments(redoubt)

Skill tree:

28/1/12

Of course focus and resolve stim with dark guard up.

You will be a challenge for every DPS or Tank out there, 12/16 medals per wz.

Interesting. How many HPs do you have with that approach?

Also the reason for the hate on Shield Chance is because crit will push it off the table, which since the relic changes is harder to achieve. Shield Chance is more useful then you might think but the real stat that makes a difference is absorb! Also white dmg only Edited by Schil

I am a 31 0 10 Shadow BIS WH/EWH stalker dps gear and I alternate between shield and focus. It seems that with a shield, i mitigate a bit more but with a focus i get 60 more force bonus dmg. I havent replaced the shield mods with focus mods as I do not deem that option viable because I often set up for huttball carrier in full survivor gear.

I use on dps stalker gear the survivor bonus which gives a 20s spinning kick. This is always available for ravage or smash.