Kathleen Kennedy has finally shown her true colors

LeGrindMax

Serious or sarcasm?

If serious, please explain how it is 'an amazing film.'

To be frank I have been thinking over the movie since I saw it and have come to the conclusion it is my favourite Star Wars movie of all movies.

The plotline is good, it keeps being interesting as well as exciting over the course of the movie. There is a lot of unexpected twists which is nice as it shows that things really won't go the way you think. Aside from that the movie is capable of capturing the Star Wars feeling in a very unique and great way. It's unlike all the other movies which is something I very much appreciate as it made the Last Jedi a fresh movie experience. The characters are well written and very nicely portrayed, the dynamic between Rey and Kylo was unexpectedly good, as well as the interactions of the other characters with one another. I loved to see how Snoke treated Kylo after his failure in the Force Awakens as it added more dimensions to that relationship of master and apprentice. It also made Kylo's response to Snoke's attitude that much more intriguing. I also adore what they did to Luke, because it finally reflects the things he had to go through throughout all of the story. It makes his arc as the fallen hero much more interesting and his redemption at the end much more meaningful.

And no, this is no sarcasm. I am being completely sincere here. I'd honestly rate the movie 8.7/10.

Edited by Ylliarus

A friend of mine on Reddit said he went to an 8pm saturday showing and barely anyone was in the theater. And he lives in a big city. Also one just has to look at social media, so far facebook, twitter, reddit and the chans are blasting the film. I get the feeling it will be on dvd in another 3 months at this point..

Well if you had taken the time to check the internet about the dvd, even before the movie was released there was a tentative date for the dvd in March/April so that was already planned and that was done before it was released which is normal with movies.

Well if you had taken the time to check the internet about the dvd, even before the movie was released there was a tentative date for the dvd in March/April so that was already planned and that was done before it was released which is normal with movies.

Definitely.

Also, news that came in today: in the Netherlands the Last Jedi currently broke all records regarding viewers. Currently it's the most visited movie here and the reviews are very positive for the majority. I also read in another article that, here in the Netherlands, the movie is rated to be the #1 Star Wars movie at the moment, which in my opinion definitely says something! I know many of you don't know Dutch, but the articles don't lie :)

Definitely.

Also, news that came in today: in the Netherlands the Last Jedi currently broke all records regarding viewers. Currently it's the most visited movie here and the reviews are very positive for the majority. I also read in another article that, here in the Netherlands, the movie is rated to be the #1 Star Wars movie at the moment, which in my opinion definitely says something! I know many of you don't know Dutch, but the articles don't lie :)

I'm happy to hear that! I went to the very first showing in Utrecht Wednesday afternoon and it was surprisingly quiet, which worried me a little though I did rationalize given how it was only 4.30pm on a Wednesday, the biggest crowd would likely come that weekend.

Its clear to me then that disney set up some kind of bot network or have shill accounts making it look better.

The people have spoken the Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie made and has tanked. At this point Disney needs to ditch just about everyone who had anything to do with it and give Star Wars a break until they can find people loyal to the ideals of Star Wars to pick it up and redo it.

Your right, The people have spoken. But to quote Luke, this is not going the way you think. 1.7 billion dollar worldwide NOT counting merchandising , tv rights, etc. Just box office take. (See RT article explaining projected sales based on first weekend sales) My guess is they are not going to take your advice. I would not either if it was my money on the line.

It's hilarious how people who hate a movie will go to any length to claim it's failed/is failing and that everyone hates it. When I read that the r/StarWars hates the movie, that was true. On release day. When not many had actually SEEN the film. Go there now, the majority are either praising it, admitting that despite its flaws it was an interesting and bold movie or stating it's neither really good nor really bad. Apart from the individual poster here or there, no mass hatred of the film exists anywhere except where haters will it to exist.

To be frank I have been thinking over the movie since I saw it and have come to the conclusion it is my favourite Star Wars movie of all movies.

The plotline is good, it keeps being interesting as well as exciting over the course of the movie. There is a lot of unexpected twists which is nice as it shows that things really won't go the way you think. Aside from that the movie is capable of capturing the Star Wars feeling in a very unique and great way. It's unlike all the other movies which is something I very much appreciate as it made the Last Jedi a fresh movie experience. The characters are well written and very nicely portrayed, the dynamic between Rey and Kylo was unexpectedly good, as well as the interactions of the other characters with one another. I loved to see how Snoke treated Kylo after his failure in the Force Awakens as it added more dimensions to that relationship of master and apprentice. It also made Kylo's response to Snoke's attitude that much more intriguing. I also adore what they did to Luke, because it finally reflects the things he had to go through throughout all of the story. It makes his arc as the fallen hero much more interesting and his redemption at the end much more meaningful.

And no, this is no sarcasm. I am being completely sincere here. I'd honestly rate the movie 8.7/10.

I agree about a lot of points here. I think it certainly is an accurate representation of the Luke character. Just taking the movies into account, Luke is often shown to be quick to judgment, impulsive, moody, and a quitter. Sorry, but it's just how he is when things get difficult with the Jedi stuff.

Rey is now well on her way to becoming a legend like she knew Luke as in the TFA. The story will circulate that she killed Snoke. People hate the First Order (presumably) so they will love her and raise her to mythical proportions. The Resistance saw how awesome Luke was at the end and all they know is that she uses the Force, too. So, of course they will look to her as a hero.

Really, I don't think there's much to hate about this film if you are able to let go of the old EU. And the overall message that the Force is for everyone and not just Jedi/Sith sets up some pretty exciting possibilities for future stories.

I am just amazed some people still are able to pour their racist, sexist and discriminatory views into Star Wars like the poster you quoted. We have a universe WHERE THERE ARE SENTIENT GAS BUBBLES, among others. You'd think it would broaden their perspective that black or white we're all human, all one race, all one species, that life is simply diverse and colourful... but nooooo, they still cling onto outdated and ancient views that somehow a black skin colour is different from white or any other skin colour. Or that gender matters so much that it needs to be treated differently or is inferior. Humans call themselves the most intelligent species on Earth, sorry, but I consider that to be a bad joke. If there is other intelligent life out there, truly intelligent life, then no wonder they steer clear from Earth.

But returning to the subject of TLJ, no matter how loudly those few people who didn't like the movie scream I still thoroughly enjoy it and can't wait to see it sometime again. I can't help it but The Last Jedi really has become my favourite Star Wars movie of all movies.

Right? It boggles my mind how any time there is a strong female or a person of color, there are commenters shouting that feminism and diversity are being "shoved down our throats." I mean, seriously??? :t_confused: People really think this way? How pathetic is that?

Personally, I just want good characters. Period. I don't care what gender they are or the color of the their skin. I want a good story. TLJ has a few flaws, sure. But, it largely delivers a fantastic story with characters who are starting to mean something. It was a good step forward. JJ just has to deliver an epic finale to tie this all up into a neat little package.

Edited by AlienEyeTX

That is your personal opinion, not that of the majority. You may hate it, you may hate the direction, from what I have seen a majority love it. I, a hardcore fan who has gone through a majority of Legends and EU content and loved it for years and still does, see the new direction as refreshing and great.

Just because Star Wars may be ruined for you doesn't mean it is for the rest of the fans. Don't enforce your opinion on everyone else with "Star Wars will be dead as a doornail" if it is your personal opinion and when majority actually see the Star Wars franchise growing.

Sorry. I take "Champion that which you love / against that which you hate" a bit too seriously. And TLJ is deadset in my KILL ON SIGHT category. I know that it'll earn 1,2-1,6 billion Dollars. I know that it is perhaps better than I give it. And I often choose based on facts. But facts here? That is was HALF ASLEEP during the movie.

Maybe it didn't offer what I'm looking? Maybe it was "too bold and too new direction" for me? I do prefer to EXPLORE THE KNOWN as opposed to exploring unknown. This is why I love TOR and, sort of, Prequels. They add nuance and details to an otherwise good, if bland painting. Sequels add...nothing. It's another painting altogether and I didn't ask for it.

Well, I suppose we'll have to notify LA and be sure they correct this oversight next time. Afterall, you are the first person I want to look to for creative direction. :t_rolleyes:

Well, tbh, I am gifted at designing characters and I guess I could do something with History of Star Wars. I'd love to see Darth Bane trilogy or something. Or an Imperial Trilogy. Perhaps something akin to Imperial Agent where there are most palpable difficulties in communication between the Sith Order and the Imperial Military / citizens.

Would be better than Kylo "the girl I desire turned me down! I detest women! Kill them if you have to. The Past too!" emo Incel crap.

At this point I'd settle if they did Hux justice. Come on! The one character I care about and...? ****!

/facepalm

Well, tbh, I am gifted at designing characters and I guess I could do something with History of Star Wars. I'd love to see Darth Bane trilogy or something. Or an Imperial Trilogy. Perhaps something akin to Imperial Agent where there are most palpable difficulties in communication between the Sith Order and the Imperial Military / citizens.

Would be better than Kylo "the girl I desire turned me down! I detest women! Kill them if you have to. The Past too!" emo Incel crap.

At this point I'd settle if they did Hux justice. Come on! The one character I care about and...? ****!

/facepalm

:t_biggrin::t_tongue: Thanks for the laugh... I needed that!

They're so setting him up betraying Kylo Ren in IX. It would hilarious at this point, finally introduce the Knights of Ren because Kylo was abandonned by the First Order ^^

So I'm really happy with TLJ, but I will admit that now you've got me thinking about what a three-way conflict between the First Order, the Resistance, and a rogue Kylo Ren leading the Knights of Ren, as the setup going into Episode IX, would have looked like if Kylo had gone his own way instead of seizing the throne. . .

Edited by DarthDymond

They're so setting him up betraying Kylo Ren in IX. It would hilarious at this point, finally introduce the Knights of Ren because Kylo was abandonned by the First Order ^^

What DID happen to the students who went with him? We have never seen them. I thought TLJ was ok. Some stupid parts (flying Leia) and everyone screaming that women are finally the strong characters (OMG Leia, Mon Mothma, Padme, Jyn). The SJW crap is getting tiresome. I didn't like how they changed Poe. In TFA, he seemed like a level-headed, cool under fire guy who could think his way out of trouble, but blast his way out if necessary. In TLJ, he was portrayed as more of a brutish buffoon who had to be stopped by purple-hair lady. As a middle movie, plot holes are to be expected. Hopefully, they'll wrap them up in the next one. Overall... 7/10

What DID happen to the students who went with him? We have never seen them. I thought TLJ was ok. Some stupid parts (flying Leia) and everyone screaming that women are finally the strong characters (OMG Leia, Mon Mothma, Padme, Jyn). The SJW crap is getting tiresome. I didn't like how they changed Poe. In TFA, he seemed like a level-headed, cool under fire guy who could think his way out of trouble, but blast his way out if necessary. In TLJ, he was portrayed as more of a brutish buffoon who had to be stopped by purple-hair lady. As a middle movie, plot holes are to be expected. Hopefully, they'll wrap them up in the next one. Overall... 7/10

I think TLJ implies that these students are the Knights of Ren, although none seemed to have lighstabers in Rey's Vision in TFA (She could be seeing wrong though).

As for Poe, the main reason he's "different" from TFA is because he's barely in TFA at all. Pretty much every supplementary material (His comic series, his short story in "Before the Awakening") established him as a bull-headed glory-seeker who didn't like to obey orders. Though TLJ is inconsistent on one point: In those stories, Poe HATES to lose wingmen and pretty much tortures himself mentaly when that happens.

P.S: 7/10 is pretty much my score too, maybe 8/10 after a second viewing. May rise or lower depending on how it meshes with IX.

My first viewing I went in with too many expectations from the various fan theories etc. My first time viewing it I would probably had rated it a 6/10. After watching it the second time knowing what to expect, focusing on what was happening, instead of looking for fan theories to be confirmed I enjoyed it thoroughly. Movie loses points for the awkward Leia scene that could have been handled better and the whole Finn dragging Rose back to base while the First Order is standing there. However, everything else was pretty great. 8/10.

It's hilarious how people who hate a movie will go to any length to claim it's failed/is failing and that everyone hates it. When I read that the r/StarWars hates the movie, that was true. On release day. When not many had actually SEEN the film. Go there now, the majority are either praising it, admitting that despite its flaws it was an interesting and bold movie or stating it's neither really good nor really bad. Apart from the individual poster here or there, no mass hatred of the film exists anywhere except where haters will it to exist.

December 24th MetaCritic Score 4.7

Positive 1,857

Mixed 638

Negative 2,222

Best of luck defending. I dabbled in TPM defending for a couple of days before I threw in the towel. The critics represent the hollywood machine and they despised George for defying them back in the day so they reveled in giving his movie a dismal review now we have a company that owns one third of the entertainment industry so the scenario is the opposite.

^ This. People will twist anything to suit their opinion while blatantly ignoring facts especially if they contradict what they believe. But it has happened in the past on the forums and sadly will be used as a method of "argumentation" for decades to come :(

i've had some posts land on my doorstep with most of the quotes cut out and made to look like i'm at fault for someone elses foolishness. it's almost as if the community wants to destroy itself with destructive crap like that.

I think there are those who are too caught up in what 'must be', according to their own vision of the Star Wars universe and their hopes/desires for this film. It's so ingrained in them they cannot accept this new universe and story. I believe Trekkies went through this too with ST:TNG but I mean, just as our world evolves and changes, so does the Star Wars universe and things will not be as they were, which is okay.

I also believe it's dangerous for writers and directors to follow the exact desires and demands of die-hard fans. It would lead to a movie enjoyed only by a small circle, an extremely specific crowd which I think would actually be detrimental to the franchise as a whole.

it isn't just TNG, but the new version of star trek from JJ Abrams himself and the one from Justin Lin, a lot of people had a lot of difficulty getting over that this rebooted Trek isn't the one they loved and enjoyed. There is no way you will cater to everyone, some will never let their egos see what they want see and that includes ignoring and hate unconditionally on new stuff, you will literally be talking to a brickwall if you tried to argue with them.

once you get around that, it basically means there is nothing to dislike about it. What Mrs. Kennedy has done or hasn't done doesn't matter, this new film which i haven't seen yet (also since this thread doesn't have spoiler tags around it) means that it should be good from reviews, but i already saw reviews from the special screening on the 9th of this month, so i expected the trend to start up from there.

Edited by Celise

IMDB score is at 7.7 not 4.7

Indeed it is, yet that doesn't matter to those who hate the movie. They will call it propaganda or make up conspiracy theories that Disney uses bot accounts to up their scoring and review. They will go to any length just to have their opinion be enforced on everyone, they will do anything to bury positive reviews and opinions beneath their negative ones. It's just an annoying and very vocal minority who are forcing their opinions onto everyone and everything. Facts and reason are Disney propaganda to them, you can't appeal to their reason or rationality.

Actually it was a group of ******s claiming to be "EU fans" who created bots to spam Rotten Tomatos, etc. with phony reviews. Those idiots are continuing to give us a bad name.

I'm a hardcore EU fan, and was massively disappointed with the sequel trilogy's direction. It really wasn't because it defied the EU, it was because it defied Lucas' vision set in Episode 6. I thought TLJ was a terrible movie, despite the fact I had heard it was better than 7 and was looking forward to it. My opinion comes mainly from plot standpoints: Obvious, totally unnecessary plot twists, heavy overuse of comic relief, a bad attempt at a literary foil which rendered the side plot and the character development of Poe and Finn irrelevant, a few other things. The Canto Bight scene and Snoke being killed I really didn't have qualms with.

As for Rian Johnson directing a whole new trilogy, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has the chance to take the complexity that he crammed into TLJ and spread it out properly over a trilogy. The sequels not having a solid plotline set out was a mistake IMO, but with that set I think Rian can do a good job.

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Actually Rotten Tomatoes confirms those are all real reviewers and it's still going down.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-jedi-low-audience-score-rotten-tomatoes-real/

just that they are real accounts and not that they are unique accounts. If you look at them they are almost all made in the past few days with the only review being TLJ.

As i said in another thread that audiance review score doesn't match the box office returns. If it was really at 50% it wouldn't be about to cross 1 billion in the next week.

It also goes against other sites like IMDB

if it was really at 50% then the petition to get TLJ removed from canon would have more then 25k sigs