is it wintrading?

The_Hightower

Outset:

Eight players conspire to intentionally trade wins & losses in teamranked, possibly not for gaining rating (I could not check that yet), but at least such that each team completes their PvP ranked weekly and each player obtains the same (or almost the same) amount of RPM-13 crafting materials (which are posted on the GTN by these eight players).

Questions:

a) Is this behaviour, irrespective of whether Bronze (or higher) rating is gained, wintrading and, thus, punishable?

b) In case they carefully pay attention that they stay below any possible threshold value for Bronze rating (which will, as usual be set at the end of the season), e.g., by not completing the required amount of matches per character, keeping the number of losses and wins in balance etc., is it still wintrading?

Causes for the questions are among others:

Two teams, each consisting of DPS only, who list simultaneously and who immediately leave matches (before first round even started), if they do not go against one another but against a third team and subsequent ingame messages from a member of the team who quitted to a member of the third team whether they also list with two teams.

Or in case the players who quitted are directly being accused of wintrading, receiving answers like "we only decide who wins or looses every second match"...

Edited by The_Hightower

Looks and smells like wintrading. It doesn’t matter if it’s for mats or completing the weekly, if you conspire as a group to let one side win over another, it’s wintrading.

tihs exactly this.

they gain something they should not have.

It's wintrading, and it's unethical, but it's not like the devs didn't incentivize this behavior. They're practically begging for it.

Stat-improving gear or the mats thereof should never be obtainable only through elite-level endgame content such as ranked. Flashy, aesthetic, status symbol gear, like ranked-exclusive mounts and weapons? That's fine.

Components to craft augments? Bull. And let's not even go into the PvE mat-farming.

They could have just done what they did with the Charged Matter Transubstantiators in 5.something where the things had a random chance to drop from command crates (now would be renown caches) and maybe had them drop at a modest rate from conquest rewards if they wanted to make it a slow (but still practically feasible) grind.

Do the devs even want people to be able to play with the new augs?

I experienced a wt'ing event a couple of weeks ago. Figured I would see if I get lucky and get a mid afternoon solo pop. I got into a match and it was obvious what was going on. Despite all this, why solo's? If mats were their main objective, why would they not be doing this in granked? The % of mat drops increase dramatically in granked. Just wondering?

I experienced a wt'ing event a couple of weeks ago. Figured I would see if I get lucky and get a mid afternoon solo pop. I got into a match and it was obvious what was going on. Despite all this, why solo's? If mats were their main objective, why would they not be doing this in granked? The % of mat drops increase dramatically in granked. Just wondering?

practice

According to Eric Musco it is not win trading. Eric said in this thread that win trading is boosting a characters rating. So if the rating is not boosted it should be ok.

These are players who manipulate Ranked matchmaking to play with and against specific players in an effort coordinate winning and losing, allowing them to boost a specific characters ratings.

According to Eric Musco it is not win trading. Eric said in this thread that win trading is boosting a characters rating. So if the rating is not boosted it should be ok.

Good luck with that excuse if you are doing it because I think you’ll find they will take action against any subversion of the system.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

sorry mate you are totally wrong

Hi All,

My name is Mike Bradley and I work as a Live Producer on the SWTOR team. As Eric alluded to, I’ve recently been delving into Ranked PvP and I’d like to talk about win trading in our game. As ‘win trading’ has become an umbrella term to describe a number of different cheating behaviors, I feel like it might be helpful to clarify at the onset some different types of manipulation this can refer to.

• Conspiring with others to intentionally trade wins & losses
  • Queuing with bots to boost rating earned per win
  • Using multiple accounts to control the outcomes of individual matches

Any form of matchmaking manipulation to coordinate winning and losing is against our Terms of Service.

In addition to the previous post quoting Mike Bradley, which mentions rating boosting as an example for wintrading, Musco wrote in this thread [emphasis added]:

"One thing that unfortunately comes up during and after a Season is about players who cheat, and in particular, win trade. These are players who manipulate Ranked matchmaking to play with and against specific players in an effort coordinate winning and losing, allowing them to boost a specific characters ratings.

The expression "allowing them" by no means confines win trading to boosting rating.