Tank dps in pvp - does it work in end game?

TheBlackBaronn

Hello everyone,

I really love TANK specs but I'm that guy who wants to put pressure with a very good amount of DPS on the enemies nonetheless. That is why I rolled a tank class but mainly equipped it with DPS gear.

I just reached level 75 with my Immortal Juggernaut and I'm currently working on reaching 306 lvl gear.

I'm also levelling a tank PT (lvl 58 currently). My Assassin is level 75 but I always used it as pure DPS (Hatred... I know its unusual!). OFC I always have the shield on, which is a tank gear I never separate from, although most of the remaining gear pieces are meant for dps.

That being said, the questions are the following:

1) How good can be a tank class equipped mainly (but not only) with DPS gear? Is that viable, generally speaking, a hybrid Tank/DPS?

2) Which of the three tank classes suits best for a hybrid Tank/DPS? Powertech, Assassin or Juggernaut?

3) Is this a viable option for level 75 pvp, both for random and ranked?

Thank you in advance! :)

I wouldnt call a skank a "hybrid" even though it's the closest you can get in swtor. You're still fully expected to fulfill the role of a tank.

Juggie is the best to do that, however.

PT is better off just exploding things.

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated. Just don't understand what you mean for PT is better off just exploding things, isn't it good in terms of overall DPS compared to the jugg tank? Unfortunately I noted that the Firestorm ability on paper is much stronger than the ability for the damage it does. Don't know if its a bug or only my perception but it really seems so.

As for assassin tank I never really tried it seriously but I think it lacks the dps of the jugg from just reading the tree

If you are going to do that, Jugg is the only viable tank to do it on.

Thank you! Well, I really supposed so, my Immortal Jugg is performing quite well for now in overall DPS in its hybrid role.

I honestly hoped the PT could be also a viable option but it seems to really lack the dps as firestorm is good only on paper and it deluded my expectations. I would like to try an Assassin DPS/TANK hybrid but I fear it would be underwhelming compared to the Immortal Jugg on this regard.

That being said, the questions are the following:

1) How good can be a tank class equipped mainly (but not only) with DPS gear? Is that viable, generally speaking, a hybrid Tank/DPS?

2) Which of the three tank classes suits best for a hybrid Tank/DPS? Powertech, Assassin or Juggernaut?

3) Is this a viable option for level 75 pvp, both for random and ranked?

Thank you in advance! :)

Not only is it viable, for ranked playing tank with dps gear is the ONLY viable way to play it (with shield offhand of course). You should run 0 accuracy, 1213 alacrity, 3k-3.8k crit, and the Grit Teeth tactical. Descent of the Fearless and Force Bound are both important sets to have to succeed in ranked.

Jugg tank is by far the best tank for pvp, and it's not even close.

For regs, anything goes. You can play a full mitigation tank and still be useful because stalling can be game changing. In ranked, you are a detriment to your team in anything but full dps gear.

And as Kendra pointed out, your choice of gear shouldn't affect how you play. Your primary focus should still be swapping guard, taunting, ccing, pushing, etc.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Not only is it viable, for ranked playing tank with dps gear is the ONLY viable way to play it (with shield offhand of course). You should run 0 accuracy, 1213 alacrity, 3k-3.8k crit, and the Grit Teeth tactical. Descent of the Fearless and Force Bound are both important sets to have to succeed in ranked.

Jugg tank is by far the best tank for pvp, and it's not even close.

For regs, anything goes. You can play a full mitigation tank and still be useful because stalling can be game changing. In ranked, you are a detriment to your team in anything but full dps gear.

And as Kendra pointed out, your choice of gear shouldn't affect how you play. Your primary focus should still be swapping guard, taunting, ccing, pushing, etc.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. That being said my problem still remains because I have no clue how to play ranked solo decently since I noted that it's way different than a regular 4vs4 arena. But at least I might get a viable character for it! I assume my hatred assassin would get obliterated in ranked...

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. That being said my problem still remains because I have no clue how to play ranked solo decently since I noted that it's way different than a regular 4vs4 arena. But at least I might get a viable character for it! I assume my hatred assassin would get obliterated in ranked...

I don't play tank in ranked, but the main thing to get used to is swapping guard onto the target taking damage (and once you get better at anticipating, swapping it to whoever is about to take damage). Sometimes that means swapping guard every few gcds, but that's what it takes to be a good tank. Obviously how much damage you put out and how effectively you cc can make a difference, but learning to guard swap is by far the most important thing.

And yes, hatred assassin is one of the worst specs for ranked right now.

It would be nice to learn mastering the swapping in ranked if it were not that you get kicked or insulted by your "pro" teammates if they consider you unsuited for the match.

Can't say for DPS, since I was used to be nuked in eyeblink playing the assassin xD

I'm still trying to understand which classes perform better in ranked, because for now I think it was me really SUCKING at it, despite I consider myself a decent pvp player in randoms, both 4vs4 and full-scale.

It would be nice to learn mastering the swapping in ranked if it were not that you get kicked or insulted by your "pro" teammates if they consider you unsuited for the match.

Well, they did remove vote kick from ranked, so you don't need to worry about that anymore. People might still yell at you if you consistently perform poorly, but there's not much anyone can or should do about that.

Can't say for DPS, since I was used to be nuked in eyeblink playing the assassin xD

I'm still trying to understand which classes perform better in ranked, because for now I think it was me really SUCKING at it, despite I consider myself a decent pvp player in randoms, both 4vs4 and full-scale.

Some people complain about balance, claiming there are only a handful of viable specs, but there are many viable specs in solo ranked. AP PT, conc op, lightning sorc, mm sniper, arsenal merc, fury mara, deception sin are all fine right now. The only dps without a "viable" spec is dps jugg, but even then, there are some players that make vengeance work. And in addition to the specs I listed, pyro pt, lethality op, engie sniper, io merc, and carnage mara are also playable. Even madness sorc, often touted as the worst spec in the game for ranked, is possible to get at least silver on.

So do some specs have an easier time than others? Absolutely. Is balance perfect? Of course not. But there are many viable specs for ranked, especially considering the fact that some specs are only excellent in certain game types (like conc ops, the best class for 4 dps games, are not nearly as strong in tank/heal games, and vice versa for AP pts).

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Well, they did remove vote kick from ranked, so you don't need to worry about that anymore. People might still yell at you if you consistently perform poorly, but there's not much anyone can or should do about that.

Some people complain about balance, claiming there are only a handful of viable specs, but there are many viable specs in solo ranked. AP PT, conc op, lightning sorc, mm sniper, arsenal merc, fury mara, deception sin are all fine right now. The only dps without a "viable" spec is dps jugg, but even then, there are some players that make vengeance work. And in addition to the specs I listed, pyro pt, lethality op, engie sniper, io merc, and carnage mara are also playable. Even madness sorc, often touted as the worst spec in the game for ranked, is possible to get at least silver on.

So do some specs have an easier time than others? Absolutely. Is balance perfect? Of course not. But there are many viable specs for ranked, especially considering the fact that some specs are only excellent in certain game types (like conc ops, the best class for 4 dps games, are not nearly as strong in tank/heal games, and vice versa for AP pts).

Thank you very much for the explanation, that was indeed very helpful to me, as I am really uncertain which class I'm going to level, and my final aim in the game is being capable of handling ranked battles (which I failed a time ago...). I'm more than aware of the fact that there are classes I might like, which however are terrible in ranked (see Assassin hatred). For now, I am absolutely sure of my Immortal Juggernaut, then I'm evaluating also the other classes and I will certainly take into consideration those you mentioned!

AHH, another point I forgot. You did not mention at all Marauder on Annihilation. Is that absolutely thrash on ranked, or might it be viable? I used to use it quite successfully (at least in randoms) a time ago.

AHH, another point I forgot. You did not mention at all Marauder on Annihilation. Is that absolutely thrash on ranked, or might it be viable? I used to use it quite successfully (at least in randoms) a time ago.

I'm not really sure, you'd have to ask a mara main probably. Like most dot specs, it's probably decent against stacked melee, but not very good against spread ranged, etc. Like carnage, anni lacks the cc immunity of fury, generally making it worse. If you want to play mara in ranked, I'd definitely start with fury.

I have the same issue and I made a thread about it recently

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=986525

Yes, I think I saw your thread and I agree with you. Firestorm ability is an absolute disappointment and probably the main reason why the class can't tank/DPS properly and, I would say, makes it quite boring.

On the other hand, the Pyrotech has insane DPS potential but it's squishy as hell. I might give a try to AP spec, which I never really tried so far.

I'm not really sure, you'd have to ask a mara main probably. Like most dot specs, it's probably decent against stacked melee, but not very good against spread ranged, etc. Like carnage, anni lacks the cc immunity of fury, generally making it worse. If you want to play mara in ranked, I'd definitely start with fury.

This is probably true. I can just imagine in a ranked environment, since even in 4vs4 under 75 arenas it's challenging to stick onto range dps like merc or sorc without being knocked back, rooted etc every few second and have the dot work.

I always found the fury spec pretty boring and, I would say "with no personality", if you know what I mean, like plain and casual... but it's always been quite efficient and now probably even more for pvp. I should give it a try. For now I'm going carnage and I'm only 53 or so... very far from having a complete framework of its potential.

It's a pity for the assassin. Hatred doesn't work in ranked, the tank darkness spec seems unsuited for dps hybrid (it really is? dunno), and deception... well... literally everyone is playing deception and I think it got boring.