Character Transfer - Pointless

MorbidSouls

I was one of those unfortunate people as someone from Europe to start on a US server due to my Guild made up of EU and US players started on a US server in open beta. Allot of people left soon after and some time after that our server Kinrath Spider became dead which prompted me starting life brand new in a EU server with the hope of someday transferring my character over.

Wasn't unable to make use of free character transfer or anything and now paid transfers are available i thought superb, finally.

BUT, it appears you cannot transfer a US character onto a EU server, which is ridiculous.

I keep telling you bioware i want to give you money so i can transfer my character over to my home but your not letting me.

You overestimated by placing too many servers in the first place, many ppl left due to the buggy disgraceful state of the game in open beta and launch and we your loyal supporters have had to suffer with those consequences.

Just let us pay you and let us transfer from a US to EU server, seriously what is the problem.

Edited by MorbidSouls

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the area of server transfers Bioware has done nothing but drop the ball for sure. Hopefully they will add in the US to EU and vice versa soon and not another year from now. I feel you pain!

It makes complete sense that they do not yet have this feature.

Why?

Because they are on different server farms on different sides of the world.

They had to jury-rig the APAC players to go either direction. And jury-rig =/= production released paid character transfer.

I support them adding EU <---> NA transfer capability by the way.. and I am sure they will have it some day.

Why?

They had to jury-rig the APAC players to go either direction. And jury-rig =/= production released paid character transfer.

I support them adding EU <---> NA transfer capability by the way.. and I am sure they will have it some day.

I have no idea what your point is trying to convey but i'm glad you agree in the end it should be enabled.

Fact is SWTOR has supported people from different regions to play on different servers, the gaming community is not divided generally by EU or US only guilds, they can be varied and vast.

There is no logical or reasonable reason why the US to EU character transfer should not be enabled.

Why?

That's BS, the tech is there as they allowed APAC to US and EU. So they can do it. I know you have to defend BW at any costs but this is over the top.

That's BS, the tech is there as they allowed APAC to US and EU.

They hardwired the three APACS to EU and NA. Derp! Simple hardwired one way moves.

To enable bilateral on demand moves from any EU to any NA server or vice versa clearly would require additional work on their part to achieve. The servers are in independent server farms, with separate logistics, etc. etc. Anyone that thinks that's a one hour remap of what they jury rigged for the APAC retirement moves is delusional IMO.

Given how buggy server transfers were early on just between NA servers and the PTS.... it's clearly more difficult then feeding your pet gerbil. :p

Edited by Andryah

I have no idea what your point is trying to convey

That it is non-trivial to create an automated on demand database transfer service between two different server farms on opposite sides of the world. That it takes effort and care to set it up so that it works without human intervention. That I believe it is popular enough that they will get around to extending server transfers between EU/NA but it will take additional effort.

On the surface, it could seem trivial to the casual user... but keep in mind that these two sever farms have absolutely no reason to be interconnected together to transfer data between them (in either direction, on demand, and automatically). So you have to create the capability.

Now, one could argue that they were foolish not to plan this as part of their paid character transfer project that has been in development since at least last summer... but you know what... at that time they may not have figured it was a service that was popular enough to be worth the effort at that time. But if they have proven one thing to players over time.. they do listen to requests and do get around to implementing them if they make business sense and are technically feasible. They just don't do it on the players timetable.. they do it on their timetable.

Edited by Andryah

They hardwired the three APACS to EU and NA. Derp! Simple hardwired one way moves.

To enable bilateral on demand moves from any EU to any NA server or vice versa clearly would require additional work on their part to achieve. The servers are in independent server farms, with separate logistics, etc. etc. Anyone that thinks that's a one hour remap of what they jury rigged for the APAC retirement moves is delusional IMO.

Given how buggy server transfers were early on just between NA servers and the PTS.... it's clearly more difficult then feeding your pet gerbil. :p

So the tech exists! And I'm glad you mentioned the PTS cos I could copy from APAC servers to PTS 'on demand'. So it can be done. Ur point is just that you love BW and they can do no wrong.

Andryah, I'm starting think that you're an EA employee. a quick glimpse at your post history tells me that you're on the forum all day everyday jumping on every thread complaining about the game to defend Bioware.

Anyway, I agree with the post above. If they could do it with APACS, there's no technical reason to put that restriction on EU-NA transfer. There must be another reason that they're not telling us.

So the tech exists! And I'm glad you mentioned the PTS cos I could copy from APAC servers to PTS 'on demand'. So it can be done. Ur point is just that you love BW and they can do no wrong.

:rolleyes:

Just because you do something with a one-off one way path =/= ability to do it bidirectionally on demand from any server to any server in the world.

So.. to use your own term "tech" NO.. the tech to do it any server to any server, on demand, automatically, does not exist. As of today, it now exists within the NA farm server to server, and within the EU farm server to server. It clearly does NOT EXIST server to sever between the NA and EU server farms YET.

And please, stop with the ad hominem character assassination attempts.

If they could do it with APACS, there's no technical reason to put that restriction on EU-NA transfer. There must be another reason that they're not telling us.

Interestingly enough... a year ago they could transfer characters from NA to APAC.... but could not do it the other direction and could not provide on demand paid character transfers either. Why? Because the ability to do a one off of something =/= the ability to do it with an automated service.

Why is this such a hard concept for some of you to grasp?

Edited by Andryah

Andryah, I'm starting think that you're an EA employee. a quick glimpse at your post history tells me that you're on the forum all day everyday jumping on every thread complaining about the game to defend Bioware.

Actually I am on the forums for an hour or two at a time several times a day, while doing other things on my computer. Many topics I never comment on at all. And if you read my post history with care and attention, you will find that I do not agree with everything Bioware does, nor how the game works.

Right now you are just channeling tin foil... I guess because I gave you a strong debate on your demand for flat fee transfer of characters. Nothing I wrote to you was personal, so please refrain from come at me with personal ad hominems. :)

Really? Didn't you call me a whiner pretending to give BW feedback while actually demanding free stuff on another thread about character transfer? It's not a coincidence when so many people call you out on this.

I think OP has a legitimate question here. Unless you have you're a BW employee yourself, your guess is as good as everyone else's. Until we see an official response from BW, we can only reason with each other about the most likely cause of this restriction. So far, technical difficulty has been ruled out.

I will when when you give up your trolling of any 'negative' thread that is posted on these forums. You set yourself up for it.

Oh and copies to the PTS are 'on demand' and are only 1 ways for an obvious reason. :rolleyes:

They're working on it, there's a dev post about it here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6409055#post6409055

So it's coming eventually.

Thanks for the link. And from the post: "....as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation."

So there, no wire this or wire that difficulty BS.

Edited by ClamTheDuckDown

Really? Didn't you call me a whiner pretending to give BW feedback while actually demanding free stuff on another thread about character transfer? It's not a coincidence when so many people call you out on this.

Actually, when people call her an EA employee, that usually means that Andryah has kicked their butts with logic and a superior understanding of how the gaming world works, but rather than try to debate further, they will simply call her a shill and think that they are the victor.

But to everyone else, we know that person's argument failed hard.

And it's not a tech issue as I have been saying!

Context is important when making such claims.

In context.. he was saying that the technological abilities exist. Well DERP! You must also actually code, and wire and debug and complete each server connection so that it works. What is done for one farm =/= done for another farm.

The problem is.. you use the term "tech" as your base reason for everything, in very broad brush and dismissive manner. You know what... the code, and communications interconnections between server farms is also tech and is also required for each connection point. And it all must be built for each and every connection. APAC to EU =/= APAC to NA, or EU to NA or vice versa. They are all different and all must be built. In the case of APAC moves... it could be cheap, simple, and hardwired for one time use and discard. And of course one way connections are simpler then bilateral many point connections.

Anyone with even limited understanding of how communications works in the internet knows all of this.

Edited by Andryah

Actually, when people call her an EA employee, that usually means that Andryah has kicked their butts with logic and a superior understanding of how the gaming world works, but rather than try to debate further, they will simply call her a shill and think that they are the victor.

I think many people use the phrase "Are you en employee of company X" as a sarcastic rhetoric to point out a fanboy. However, we're way off-topic here. I think the link provided above pretty much ended this thread.

Really? Didn't you call me a whiner pretending to give BW feedback while actually demanding free stuff on another thread about character transfer?

I did not call you a whiner.. I pointed out you were stating that you were providing feedback, but really were just making personal demands... a point which you actually agreed to after I pointed it out in your thread. ;)

It's not a coincidence when so many people call you out on this.

Depends on how one defines coincidence. If you define it as tin-foil laced ad hominem attacks... then it's coincidence. Personally I just find it amusing that people resort to personal attacks rather then discuss my points with me directly. It's a sign of weakness of position IMO. :)

Except she has not. The tech exists, she is wrong. If she were a BW employee she would know that.

Context is important when making such claims.

In context.. he was saying that the technological abilities exist. Well DERP!

The problem is.. you use the term "tech" as you base reason for everything. You know what... the code, and communications interconnections between server farms is also tech and is also required for each connection point. And of course one way connections are simpler then bilateral many point connections.

Anyone with even limited understanding of how communications works in the internet knows all of this.

You never give up, do you? You're 100% wrong on the guesstimate. We even have proof from bioware using the exact same logic about APAC and you're still denying and now deflecting it with an argument on semantics. This is getting so silly that it's hilarious.

I did not call you a whiner.. I pointed out you were stating that you were providing feedback, but really were just making personal demands... a point which you actually agreed to after I pointed it out in your thread. ;)

Depends on how one defines coincidence. If you define it as tin-foil laced ad hominem attacks... then it's coincidence. Personally I just find it amusing that people resort to personal attacks rather then discuss my points with me directly. It's a sign of weakness of position IMO. :)

Yet you have been proved wrong.

I think many people use the phrase "Are you en employee of company X" as a sarcastic rhetoric to point out a fanboy. However, we're way off-topic here. I think the link provided above pretty much ended this thread.

Oh the thread is not over. Just because the tech exists doesn't mean they can just use it now, which is what I think Andryah is getting at.

Plus, when someone starts with this idiotic fanboi nonsense, the mud slinging don't end until everyone gets bored and moves on to the next thread and repeat the cycle.