any tips for an assassin player?

Mewmaster

i am somewhat new to playing warzones, never really played them much. i started with a trial account and now am subbed. my main right now is an assasin that i am leveling, and i was wondering what i should be doing as an assassin. i seem to be the guy who sneaks into the area and tries to place the bomb in voidstar (main one i have been playing as i got it 3 times in a row) i am not sure how well i did and when i asked no one answered.

i seemed to be terrible at them, though maybe it is just me, i died a lot and useally only had about 6 medals at the end of the game. once i had 11, though i think that was part luck, and part me accidentally kill stealing

i think my problem is that i try to do to much damage and not enough CC, and from what i read, CC is what assassins do best. should i just switch to my juggernaut if i can't stop thinking that way.

thanks for any help.

Edited by Mewmaster

i am somewhat new to playing warzones, never really played them much. i started with a trial account and now am subbed. my main right now is an assasin that i am leveling, and i was wondering what i should be doing as an assassin. i seem to be the guy who sneaks into the area and tries to place the bomb in voidstar (main one i have been playing as i got it 3 times in a row) i am not sure how well i did and when i asked no one answered.

i seemed to be terrible at them, though maybe it is just me, i died a lot and useally only had about 6 medals at the end of the game. once i had 11, though i think that was part luck, and part me accidentally kill stealing

i think my problem is that i try to do to much damage and not enough CC, and from what i read, CC is what assassins do best. should i just switch to my juggernaut if i can't stop thinking that way.

thanks for any help.

Regardless of spec, throw those taunts out there. Popping your AoE Taunt (doesn't break stealth) in the middle of a big battle is 2-3 medals right off. Sins also do very well 1v1, but it takes a bit to get your rotations down. I mainly run the equivalent of your deception spec, but there are a few Darkness hybrid specs out there that have more survivability and nearly as much DPS as a pure deceiver.

Well, I play a shadow, your mirror class. I am by far *not* the best one out there, so read with that in mind.

You say you started trial and just recently subbed, so are you still in sub-50 PvP? If so, your ability to take on different roles will change/grow as you level. I think it might help to know what level you are. I think you don't even have taunts if you go in right at level 10, for example. And you won't have the AEO taunt for even longer.

I think the overall "job" you should strive for is to look at objectives and adjust your "job" as needed compared to what everone else is doing... what seems to be working... what's not working. Watch chat and respond to "orders" if anyone is giving them. Try typing in some yourself if no one else is. Who knows, you might get lucky and have others listen (OK, that was a bit synical).

Anyway, as a Sin I think you can fill just about any of the "jobs" as needed. I've tried a Sent (DPS) and an Scoundrel-healer, and I find my Shadow to be the most versitile of all of them. You are a stealthy, so you can be the one that tries to "ninja" the door/node (Nov-Coast and Civil War you try to take the turrets - same concept as putting a bomb on the door). Be intelligent about this though. If you've tried it a time or two, and you see that the enemy team is good enough to watch for it and stop you, then stop wasting your time trying it and switch to a different tactic (IMO).

Depending on which tree you have I think Sins are some of the most annoying DPSers. They are that guy that's spamming lighting at you that is sucking away your health and slowing you at the same time so all you can do is slowly walk towards them to arrive just in time to die at their feet (said as a former sentinal who often made the mistake of opening against them with "leap"). :)

We have great taunts, and guards to help keeps healers or other top DPS up and going. As you mentioned, we have a ton of Cc... "pull" (in Huttball, the most fun ability ever!), "knockback", mezz, a 4 second stun, a 2 second knockdown. We have an 8 second stun(lift) but by default that's an interruptable cast (I think one of the trees lets you make it insta-cast).

And I also feel strongly there is no such thing as "kill stealing" in a WZ. Out of all the medals you can get, I think a max of 2 can come from individual kills (killing blow, and solo kill?). It's a team game. If anyone called you out in chat for kill-stealing just know that the VAST majority of people will be loving you for doing the same thing and they will call it "focus fire". :)

All IMHO of course. I have no doubt, and actually look forward to anyone coming in here and telling me where I'm all wrong. It's at least one way for me to learn I'm wrong and get better myself.

Edited by Banderal

Well, I play a shadow, your mirror class. I am by far *not* the best one out there, so read with that in mind.

You say you started trial and just recently subbed, so are you still in sub-50 PvP? If so, your ability to take on different roles will change/grow as you level. I think it might help to know what level you are. I think you don't even have taunts if you go in right at level 10, for example. And you won't have the AEO taunt for even longer.

I think the overall "job" you should strive for is to look at objectives and adjust your "job" as needed compared to what everone else is doing... what seems to be working... what's not working. Watch chat and respond to "orders" if anyone is giving them. Try typing in some yourself if no one else is. Who knows, you might get lucky and have others listen (OK, that was a bit synical).

Anyway, as a Sin I think you can fill just about any of the "jobs" as needed. I've tried a Sent (DPS) and an Scoundrel-healer, and I find my Shadow to be the most versitile of all of them. You are a stealthy, so you can be the one that tries to "ninja" the door/node (Nov-Coast and Civil War you try to take the turrets - same concept as putting a bomb on the door). Be intelligent about this though. If you've tried it a time or two, and you see that the enemy team is good enough to watch for it and stop you, then stop wasting your time trying it and switch to a different tactic (IMO).

Depending on which tree you have I think Sins are some of the most annoying DPSers. They are that guy that's spamming lighting at you that is sucking away your health and slowing you at the same time so all you can do is slowly walk towards them to arrive just in time to die at their feet (said as a former sentinal who often made the mistake of opening against them with "leap"). :)

We have great taunts, and guards to help keeps healers or other top DPS up and going. As you mentioned, we have a ton of Cc... "pull" (in Huttball, the most fun ability ever!), "knockback", mezz, a 4 second stun, a 2 second knockdown. We have an 8 second stun(lift) but by default that's an interruptable cast (I think one of the trees lets you make it insta-cast).

And I also feel strongly there is no such thing as "kill stealing" in a WZ. Out of all the medals you can get, I think a max of 2 can come from individual kills (killing blow, and solo kill?). It's a team game. If anyone called you out in chat for kill-stealing just know that the VAST majority of people will be loving you for doing the same thing and they will call it "focus fire". :)

All IMHO of course. I have no doubt, and actually look forward to anyone coming in here and telling me where I'm all wrong. It's at least one way for me to learn I'm wrong and get better myself.

thanks for the help, i am level 19, almost 20, and am using 24/1/17 build (or at least starting to) so i do have my single target taunt and several important abilities, only main ones i am missing are my defensive CDs, Death field, and my aoe taunt. actually, no one said anything to me about it, just in many games i have played you normally don;y want to do that, thanks again for the tips.

I have 2 Assassins, one 50 (65 valor) and one 32, both are mostly Darkness speced and the 50 has a mix of mostly DPS with a few key Tank gear pieces, the Saber, Offhand, Ear, 1 relic and legs, then everything else is offensive and all gear is willpower augmented. She works best when using area and single taunts, using lots of area damage like discharge and whither, and shocks (with the harnessed Darkness Force Lightning mixed in, along with as many knock down and mauls as I can get in, always be on the move, get into stealth as soon as your out of battle and 100% healed and use force shroud as soon as it comes up when in battle, if you get into trouble use force cloak.

Ive tried a lot of variations with gear and build, I generally like to be a utility player in pvp, defending doors, running the ball ect but also want to win one on ones without a problem so this build works for me, but you'll never be top damage, or top protection.

Tips, hmm, experiment. Assassins are fun cause all specs are viable and lots of room for hybrids. Get field respec when you can afford. On my 50 assassin I preffer 'mostly' deception build, but (despite hybrids being much better) if I'm to be healers pet (guard) I prefer full darkness due to 10 m range.

Find your way. I preffer: stay stealth, pop out, kill target, leave no one alive asap, cap objective. people tend to panic when stealther comes out and does his open rotation.

look for openings, don't charge into battle without thinking that's mara/jugg job.

leave force cloak as emergency for changing node (like 4vs1 and your guys are calling incs on east, you drop battle and run to other objective), or for those 1 vs 1 where no one is coming to help you...

last but not least, force shroud is your friend. learn your enemy.

My advice for any new assassin is always this. Run either full darkness or a hybrid until you start getting some decent gear and start pumping out the damage. This is for 50 PvP, lowbie PvP you can run whatever but trust me run some variation of darkness when you reach 50 you will have a more enjoyable experience. Edited by cycao

I have 2 Assassins, one 50 (65 valor) and one 32, both are mostly Darkness speced and the 50 has a mix of mostly DPS with a few key Tank gear pieces, the Saber, Offhand, Ear, 1 relic and legs, then everything else is offensive and all gear is willpower augmented. She works best when using area and single taunts, using lots of area damage like discharge and whither, and shocks (with the harnessed Darkness Force Lightning mixed in, along with as many knock down and mauls as I can get in, always be on the move, get into stealth as soon as your out of battle and 100% healed and use force shroud as soon as it comes up when in battle, if you get into trouble use force cloak.

Ive tried a lot of variations with gear and build, I generally like to be a utility player in pvp, defending doors, running the ball ect but also want to win one on ones without a problem so this build works for me, but you'll never be top damage, or top protection.

That most certainly is not true, if you get the gear at 50 and do a little research on how to play the class, you definitely can top charts in both categories. Shadows/sins have very good builds to make sure of it.

My advice for any new assassin is always this. Run either full darkness or a hybrid until you start getting some decent gear and start pumping out the damage. This is for 50 PvP, lowbie PvP you can run whatever but trust me run some variation of darkness when you reach 50 you will have a more enjoyable experience.

Cycao those links are the same.

My advice for any new assassin is always this. Run either full darkness or a hybrid until you start getting some decent gear and start pumping out the damage. This is for 50 PvP, lowbie PvP you can run whatever but trust me run some variation of darkness when you reach 50 you will have a more enjoyable experience.

^ This is good advice for you OP.

I ran a classic hybrid, like that cycao linked, for a while and found it to be really good while leveling. Sins rely on clever tactics and timing a bit more than some other classes, so there's a learning curve. Once you get them down I'm sure you'll love it.

thanks for all the help. i have actually been using the hybrid for a couple days now, found it on another forums post. there is definitively a learning curve, i still need to get used to the amount of CC that i have and to remember i can sneak around in stealth right when i am out of battle.

The best way to find the answers to your questions is to do some research.

A few tips:

1. Don't ask anyone who accuses you of kill-stealing anything. There's no such thing as kill stealing in team PvP, and anyone saying that kind of stuff has immediately shown that they are bad.

2. Read everything in the class forums.

3. Read everything about PvP zones and their unique objectives. If you're darkness, your job is to probably guard stuff and delay until help arrives. If you're deception or one of its variations, your job may be to float around and blow up high priority or low health targets. If you're madness.... you're either phenomenal at the game or masochistic and atoning for something.

4. Watch some assassins' Youtube videos or streams to see where people are and when, and when they do stuff. Spend more time watching the hotbars and buff bars than you do the toons themselves.

5. Stand on your fleet and ask if someone is able to answer some questions. Listen mainly to the people who are the least arrogant, give good explanations, and spell properly. Try what they say on a dummy and then in matches.

6. Overuse your Imperial banner.

thanks for all the help. i have actually been using the hybrid for a couple days now, found it on another forums post. there is definitively a learning curve, i still need to get used to the amount of CC that i have and to remember i can sneak around in stealth right when i am out of battle.

Yes you will have excellent control with the hybrid which is imo its real strength. It is the best at defending nodes solo, you can stall a group of 2-3 people with instant WW, stealth mez, and your hard stun and out of stealth knock down. Once you get the hang of the class and get some gear (<---really important as you will melt w/o it) I encourage you to try some DPS builds. Full madness or deception can really pump out the damage or you can run hybrids of both, check out the class forums someone made a post with all the hybrids our class has to offer.

About the "getting gear" that a few people have mentioned (and in case you don't know)... since you are lvl 20ish right now, there is no special PvP gear. I think until level 40 (?) you can't get anything that has "Expertise" on it, which is the PvP stat that you want. So until then any gear you can get will be the same as your PvE gear.

That said, there are PvP vendors on the fleet that you can use. You can buy a "PvP" armor set at level 20. In my opinion, it's a pretty good deal, because it costs commendations, instead of credits, and if you PvP a lot you should have plenty of comms by then. But there's nothing "PvP ish" about it except its name. At level 40 there is another set, and that one I think includes a bit of expertise. There is another vendor you can buy "PvP" weapons from (near the quest terminals). Again, cost is comms instead of credits, so if you have lots of extra comms feel free to buy (but see about saving up comms below). Note that all these pre-50 "PvP" sets are tossed aside as soon as you ding 50.

Once you ding 50 you throw all the previous stuff out (give to lower level alts, or to companions), and throw on the free set of "recruit" gear you'll get. And *NOW* is when the gear grind begins. (The exact gear grind is, apparently, about to change with update 1.6 - but I'm sure there still will be one. :) ) Whatever the grind is will certainly involve spending "warzone commendations" and "ranked warzone commendations". You can save several thousand of each of these (ranked ones starting at level 40). Plan to do so (save as many as you can - maxing out your "bank" of them if you play enough sub-50 PvP), and then when you ding 50 you will be able to get some post-recruit gear right away. You can look for previous topics about what gear to get in what order.