Axes? Really?

kmontyw

It actually makes sense lore wise for a vibro-axe to be able to do comparable damage to a lightsaber, since vibro-weapons , well, vibrate at a very rapid rate, tremendously increasing the amount of damage that can be dealt with it. It's pretty well established in lore, and some melee weapons, like Force Pikes, were even capable of slicing through durasteel. Since the Jedi in this game do not actually reflect blaster bolts back at their targets, and instead simply deflect them away from themselves, it has no effect on gameplay as well, since the deflecting animation can simply be swapped out for a dodging animation when the player does not have a lightsaber equipped and gets a successful defense roll.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have preferred some kind of high-tech gun or a gun where you can actually see the colour crystal all the time.

Well, there are special rifles, snipers, and pistols that you get from the random packs that have special effects that change color depending on your color crystal, so I think thats as close as youll get :p Not sure about cannons though

How is it ridiculous?

Tie those particular axes to the animations of the knights/warriors and it looks rediculous, elegant movements that would not be possible with a weapon of such size and shape, they may as well throw in buster swords now.

Do you one better, they were in ROTJ.

The issue of manufacturing lore to fit game mechanics is kind of my point. It's always (always) a bad idea. The only games that got the Jedi/Star Wars experience right were the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. In an MMO, you would have had to exclude the "class" from players to avoid diluting and diminishing it to fit gameplay balance concerns. SWG initially were on the right track with their approach, but players tantrumed so much they changed things.

So, the point of magical metals ("sciencified" to make them somehow believable) actually makes my point for me. You can create any sort of device within lore that you want to, and manufacture any sort of explanation as to why it exists. That doesn't prevent it diluting and reducing the universe - which is always does. It takes real courage to maintain a fictitious universe and keep it authentic to itself. I agree that Star Wars passed that point years ago with the prequels.

None of which stops Jedis using axes instead of lightsabres from being a fatal undermining of the things that made the original Jedi idea, and the original Star Wars universe so compelling.

Edited by kmontyw

To be fair, the Jedi never used them in ROTJ... they could in KOTOR. :)

But they were in ROTJ, may have only been used by the gammorans but they were there. So enough of this "this isn't WoW" stuff, ROTJ beat WoW in introducing axes into Star Wars lore.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

But they were in ROTJ, may have only been used by the gammorans but they were there. So enough of this "this isn't WoW" stuff, ROTJ beat WoW in introducing axes into Star Wars lore.

Axes are fine. Jedis trading lightsabres for metal axes is the issue. The fact that quite a few don't immediately understand that, and why, emphasizes the point. Rather painfully, btw.

Axes are fine. Jedis trading lightsabres for metal axes is the issue. The fact that quite a few don't immediately understand that, and why, emphasizes the point. Rather painfully, btw.

I recall a Star Wars Tales issue where Darth Maul went to fight some old jedi who used nothing but a wooden stick, it was elegant and appropriate I thought, In a similar vein I have no issues with players/jedi/sith wanting to use weapons other than glow sticks (my "guardian" is a force sensitive troooper and uses a vibroblade for example)

I do have an issue with the ugly design and shape of said axes and how they fit in with the animations (badly to say the least) I just dont get what they were thinking of.

Its game mechanics, who cares? It ain't lore, its just something to have fun..not everything needs to be tied down to lore, so don't understand why its an issue at all.

The animations look fine.

How does it look fine? Is everyone going to be permanently "using the force" to bend the laws of physics to accommodate wielding such axes? Or is there a section of jedi dedicated to nothing but wrist exercises in order to flail them around? (make of that what you will) Or are they made of some super light material that means they weigh hardly anything? In which case why would they be shaped like that and be used by gammoreans?

As I said, if these fugly axes are acceptable, why not go the whole hog and throw in buster swords?

Edited by Slurmez

How does it look fine? Is everyone going to be permanently "using the force" to bend the laws of physics to accommodate wielding such axes? Or is there a section of jedi dedicated to nothing but wrist exercises in order to flail them around? (make of that what you will) Or are they made of some super light material that means they weigh hardly anything? In which case why would they be shaped like that and be used by gammoreans?

As I said, if these fugly axes are acceptable, why not go the whole hog and throw in buster swords?

You're looking into this way too much. Just see it for what it is, a jovial vanity item offered to those who want it.

With that said though, I'd love a Light-Buster Sword, would be sweet.

yeah gonna be fun watching a Jedi/Sith deflect the blaster shots with AXES!

The amount of jedis using axes will propably be no more than the amount of jedi wielding vibroswords.

Gamorian guards in RotJ had axes. Big creatures using axes work for me. It also wouldn't shock me to see a Sith pick up an axe, turn his evil, yellow eyes to an enemy, and grins like a mad man at the thought of the barbaric slaughter about to happen.

And I'm quite certain there will be no throwing the axe down after the fight and calling the weapon "Uncivilized."