Axes? Really?

kmontyw

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are several types of metal a lightsaber can't cut through in Star Wars lore, so that's not really an issue. Also, axes are traditionally used by Gamorrean warriors as their weapon of choice and I'm sure a number of other species use them as well.

With that out of the way... not everybody uses the Jedi/Sith classes as actual Jedi or Sith, they could also be used to simulate Force adepts or simple melee fighter types using vibroblades, axes, etc.

Unfortunately BioWare decided to allow only Jedi/Sith the use of melee weapons...

Beskar AKA Mandalorian Iron is lightsaber resistant and, if processed correctly, can be light enough to wield on the end of a stick while still being an effective weapon.

Well, building something into the lore post 4/5/6 and confabulating an awkward explanation does not make it rigorous or logical. Midachlorians anyone? If lightsabre hilts were able to be made from such metal, why are they continually severed by single strikes in the movies?

But the inelegant contrived lore is a side issue really. Axes and Jedis? It's a complete dilution of the fantasy. You guys are undermining your own universe.

Edited by kmontyw

yeah and do you know what is the funny about that? well light sabers can cut through metals but now you can fight a Jedi/Sith with 2 metal Axes against their Light saber lol, go play Lotro ppl at least better looking Axes there.

the worst than that is the THRONE which you can DRIVE!

now would it be kinda stupid for a Jedi/Sith to change his Light sabers with normal AXES? hmmm guess not because the freaking Axes gonna do the same damage as a light saber, WELL DONE BIOWARE!

ever heard of cortosis?

Well, building something into the lore post 4/5/6 and confabulating an awkward explanation does not make it rigorous or logical. Midachlorians anyone? If lightsabre hilts were able to be made from such metal, why are they continually severed by single strikes in the movies?

But the inelegant constructed lore is a side issue really. Axes and Jedis? Sarcasm aside, it's a complete dilution of the fantasy. You guys are undermining your own universe.

It isn't diluting, it is enhancing. The axes aren't new to lore, gamorreans use em. Whats to say some evil jedi or sith doesn't take the axes and use them as a trophy like revan took the mandolarian mask?

So first of all There are many different species and races in star wars and not all of them use lightsabers or blasters. There are Vibroswords, and techblades, electrostaves, vibroknives, and yes from day 1 the Gamoreans have been using axes, and like the above poster says mandalore is seen using an axe as well. So that it is available as a equipable item in the game doesn't bother me.

For those of you who are worried about "Lore" please remember that a jedi is trained to make use of all available resources on the battlefield to resolve the conflict. This could mean using the force to drop a piece of machinery on someone, or cut them with a lighsaber, or if they're lightsaber is taken away or damaged grabbing another item from the battlefield, be it a vibrosword or a electrostaff, or yes even an axe, to continue the fight. It may not be preferable or the most comfortable weapon for them to use but i don't see why it shouldn't be "allowed"

What I'd actually like to see and maybe I can get some feedback on this from the community is actually an ability to use any weapon in the game on any character.

Before you all go ape on me please read it through:

1) you'd get a various scale of debuffs for that weapon depending on how different it is from your main weapon.

example : as a trooper, you should be familiar and comfortable using most "gun style weapons" so you have have only say a 5 or 10% debuff on the damage of the weapon,and obviously wouldn't be able to use any of the AC abilities. But with a lightsaber or a vibrosword, now you get a 25% or 40% reduction on the damage rating, and are just able to use it in a standard way.

This way if you choose to use it there's no play advantage to being able to equip other items. but you could use it as a social ability or in a RP immersion.

Like youre using an axe as a sith warrior, because you took it from the gamorean cheiftan and your using his weapon as a signal to the rest of the gamoreans of what you did (Btw this happens in real life militaries now)

So, Jedi/Sith will be running around with axes instead of lightsabres come the F2P release. Axes. Do they come with Dwarven beards as well? Can they be upgraded to kitchen knives perhaps?

You say Jedi, I immediately think "ax". It's a natural part of the fantasy, and lore. This is going to be so great.

Bladed weapons sit well within the lore. Maybe you should do some research before commenting?

Sith were famed for their bladed weapons before proto sabers and later light sabers became prevalent.

Not only that but axes, pikes and swords were all common place in the early SW universe...before blasters became common place. Errr...whats the problem here?

Oh I get it, you are just annoyed that players will have additional ways in which to customise their appearance? No? Then I have no clue what your problem is :(

Driz

1) you'd get a various scale of debuffs for that weapon depending on how different it is from your main weapon.

example : as a trooper, you should be familiar and comfortable using most "gun style weapons" so you have have only say a 5 or 10% debuff on the damage of the weapon,and obviously wouldn't be able to use any of the AC abilities. But with a lightsaber or a vibrosword, now you get a 25% or 40% reduction on the damage rating, and are just able to use it in a standard way.

This way if you choose to use it there's no play advantage to being able to equip other items. but you could use it as a social ability or in a RP immersion.

Like youre using an axe as a sith warrior, because you took it from the gamorean cheiftan and your using his weapon as a signal to the rest of the gamoreans of what you did (Btw this happens in real life militaries now)

While this is an interesting Idea I would rather spend the time required to make it on more story updates and pvp/pve updates.

Just doesn't seem like a very [ Time effective : Content ] Ratio.

It's odd that You can't make any melee weapons from Mandalorian Iron. Or can you?

There might be a recipe for a moddable techblade that uses mandalorian iron. I haven't gotten my armstech all of the schems yet, but i think most to them would use Cortosis instead since it's lighter than mandalorian iron.

Plus we don't know yet what new schems are in the works for when the raise the lvl cap

While this is an interesting Idea I would rather spend the time required to make it on more story updates and pvp/pve updates.

Just doesn't seem like a very [ Time effective : Content ] Ratio.

Same here i'm just putting it out there as an explination as to why the idea of axes and other "non jedi" weapons should be allowed in the realm of the game. It'd be stupid to think that a jedi who lost/broke his main weapon wouldn't grab an axe just because it "doesn't fit" into his fashion sense.

Now again not really relevent in this game since their isn't a weapon disarming mechanic in this game (which frankly would be pretty cool) . Even though it happens all the time in the movies and novels. If that were to be applied into the game you could have all kinds of interesting weapon/combat choices until you could retrieve your "lost" weapon

There might be a recipe for a moddable techblade that uses mandalorian iron. I haven't gotten my armstech all of the schems yet, but i think most to them would use Cortosis instead since it's lighter than mandalorian iron.

Plus we don't know yet what new schems are in the works for when the raise the lvl cap

Yep. I have alt with Armstech, but still at very low level.

What I'd actually like to see and maybe I can get some feedback on this from the community is actually an ability to use any weapon in the game on any character.

I am cool with this idea. Just make characters less skilled with a weapon that isn't their main. I mean, why couldn't my sin pick up a blaster and fire it? Makes no good sense. In this way, a trooper could carry the axe and bad-*****, but a bit clumsy.

So first of all There are many different species and races in star wars and not all of them use lightsabers or blasters. There are Vibroswords, and techblades, electrostaves, vibroknives, and yes from day 1 the Gamoreans have been using axes, and like the above poster says mandalore is seen using an axe as well. So that it is available as a equipable item in the game doesn't bother me.

For those of you who are worried about "Lore" please remember that a jedi is trained to make use of all available resources on the battlefield to resolve the conflict. This could mean using the force to drop a piece of machinery on someone, or cut them with a lighsaber, or if they're lightsaber is taken away or damaged grabbing another item from the battlefield, be it a vibrosword or a electrostaff, or yes even an axe, to continue the fight. It may not be preferable or the most comfortable weapon for them to use but i don't see why it shouldn't be "allowed"

You mean similar to SWG? Essentially in that game you could equip ANY weapon found in the game however if you lacked the right 'licence' to use that weapon your damage was impaired with it. I would support this type of system in SWTOR wholeheartedly.

In fact, Warhammer Online was the first MMORPG I played that forced you in to using certain weapons dependent on the class you rolled. If you roll a Slayer, you can only EVER equip about 3 types of Axe and a few different types of the SAME armor. Coming from SWG that lelvel of restriction boggled my mind and has botherd me ever since.

Do I want my BH to be able to equip a carb or a rifle or a force pike in SWTOR? Yes I do. Same for every other class too.

Driz