Supreme Chancellor Leontyne Saresh is a ...

JonStan

Sith Lord or Imperial spy/puppet

She is a Warmonger (an the empire/emperor wants war ...)

She wants to relase General Rakton for only thousands of prisoners

Taris under her rule feels like a big trap for the Republic

In the Novels there are hints that she is on a power trip

She is angry at the end Makeb Storyline ( **** no full War with Hutt Cartel)

She makes Jace Malcom Supreme commander ... Why ....

(does Saresh know that he is the Ex-Lover of the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order)

Why was Darth Tommen so interested in killing of Janarus

Her slimy talks with the Republic Characters ... (reminds me of Palpatine talking with Anakin)

How she treat the workers on Taris :mad:

Her skin color is poison green :eek:

Her whole background stinks (From imperial slave to chancellor:rolleyes:)

Her Codex Entry (look at the bold parts)

The Supreme Chancellor of the Republic serves as both political arbiter and leader of the free galaxy–and no one is better suited to the honor than Leontyne Saresh. Enslaved by the Empire as a young child, the charismatic, ambitious and fiercely intelligent Saresh escaped her captors to become a passionate opponent of Imperial injustices. After Imperial forces sacked the Republic capital of Coruscant to end the war, Saresh launched an illustrious political career that would win her a seat on the Republic Senate, governorship of Taris and a fearless reputation. When war erupted again, Saresh was elected by the Senate to replace Supreme Chancellor Janarus. Surrounded by ardent supporters and loyal political allies, she delivered an impassioned speech on the steps of the Senate tower calling for the eradication of the Sith Empire. Saresh’s rousing words inspired millions and gave birth to a new age in which the Republic would stop at nothing to win the conflict and ensure the galaxy’s freedom.

Edited by JonStan

She is a Warmonger (an the empire/emperor wants war ...)

Against the Empire.

In terms of helping the Empire, she'd do a lot more if she wasn't pushing to Republic to maintain the offensive. I suppose the idea could be to feed the Republic military into the grinder and wittle them down by attrition, but that's not remotely what's happening. The Empire's being crushed.

She wants to relase General Rakton for only thousands of prisoners

Yeah, I don't know why. It's easy enough to talk her out of it, mind.

She is angry at the end Makeb Storyline ( **** no full War with Hutt Cartel)

That's not why she's angry. She's angry because she extended assistance to Makeb on the expectation the Republic would get something out of it, ideally to help fight the Empire. What they actually get are thousands of refugees and an ecologically dying planet.

She makes Jace Malcom Supreme commander ... Why ....

(does Saresh know that he is the Ex-Lover of the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order)

If there's a logical reason for this I can't fathom it myself, but this always struck me as more as an attempt to bludgeon Malcom into being relevant again.

Why was Darth Tommen so interested in killing of Janarus

Because he's Darth Tommen. He'd wage war on the sky just to destroy the clouds.

Taris under her rule feels like a big trap for the Republic

I'm under the opinion that Taris was a massive waste of time and resources, but the rebuilding wasn't her idea. She got assigned there by political rivals because the reconstruction was previously where political careers went to die. Saresh didn't pioneer it. And if the plan was to remove Janarus and replace him with Saresh as an Imperial puppet, not destroying the rebuilding effort would've benefited them more than doing so.

I do feel there's something going on with her, but if she turns out to be an Imperial spy I'll be massively disappointed. I would find the idea of her being a Sith the whole time hilarious though, but then I'm still waiting for Satele to not be inept so the Jedi being oblivious wouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by Bleeters

Don't qoute me on this but I think she appears in the Star Cabal meeting that the imperial agent crashes at the end of act 3. So no, she's not in with the imps, she's in with the guys trying to take out both sides and all force users in general.

I've seen this mentioned before but I don't think it's the case. Wookiepedia has a pretty good list of the Star Cabal members and she isn't on it.

P.S. I totally quoted you on it. Mwahahahahaha.

Don't qoute me on this but I think she appears in the Star Cabal meeting that the imperial agent crashes at the end of act 3. So no, she's not in with the imps, she's in with the guys trying to take out both sides and all force users in general.

That is the matriarch of the Twilek settlers of Tython.

I don't she is an Imperial spy.

But I think she is a dictator and obsessed with destroying the Empire.

I don't get why she put the Jedi Grand Master's lover in charge of the Military ( I know why the last guy got fired, being manipulated by a Sith Lord will do that) I don't see how (other then being Shan's baby daddy) is any were near the top of succession.

She also makes use of the GenoHardan, which says she is really shifty to me.

Well I think she had no idea of Malcoms "involvement" with Shan or at least their child, Theron Shan. Malcom was just the most impressive candidate she could find, a man scarred by the Empire, an icon of the repelled Sith Invasion of Alderaan and as Military Advisor already versed in the arts of politics and diplomacy. As an Imperial I tend to see Saresh as an uncompromising politician, somebody who would repeat the massacres during the last stages of the Great Hyperspace War, to finally drive the Sith species and all of their minions into extinction. A bit like Revan in the Foundry.

On the other hand, that might be what the Republic needs to ensure a lasting peace after the war. Therefore she might not even be evil, just very much dedicated to her job and historic mission. A bit too much machiavelian for the Jedi maybe, but they certainly won't interfere with any decissions of a chancellor that popular.

Edited by Count_Mario

I wouldn't call her 'evil' just misguided. I think she would be a good foe for Republic players as she would be someone who was doing good (fighting the Empire) but is gathering power for herself (to fight the Empire), kind of like Palps only with out the Sithiness.

I don't she is an Imperial spy.

But I think she is a dictator and obsessed with destroying the Empire.

I don't get why she put the Jedi Grand Master's lover in charge of the Military ( I know why the last guy got fired, being manipulated by a Sith Lord will do that) I don't see how (other then being Shan's baby daddy) is any were near the top of succession.

She also makes use of the GenoHardan, which says she is really shifty to me.

Is there any concrete reason to call her a dictator, other than your own personal interest in discrediting democratic leaders that oppose the Empire? What democratic opposition has she suppressed? What electoral shenanigans has she engaged in?

Should the "top of succession" matter when ability is at stake? If date of rank were the most important part of determining military leadership, men like Eisenhower, Vasilevsky, Moltke, and Grant would never have sniffed the commanding positions that they famously held. We simply don't know very much about Malcom's ability to command. Perhaps he really is qualified for the job. Obviously, the out-of-character reason for his position is that they want to use an existing character and existing voice actor as much as possible, but that doesn't mean that there's no in-character reason.

What exactly is "shifty" about the Republic's employment of the current incarnation of the GenoHaradan?

I've been noticing some of the stuff the OP has mentioned, and I have a similar theory with the OP, but with a little twist:

Saresh has actually been taken over by the spirit of the Emperor after the JK story or soon after.

Saresh may have already had strong emotions to eradicate the Empire, and these strong emotions may have made it easy for the Emperor to use her as a vessel after the JK defeated him. A lot of the really noticeable stuff with her that got me thinking happens during the class endings and her appearances afterwards (Operations, Makeb, etc).

Not to mention it would make a nice (and traditional Star Wars-ey, Palpatine-like) twist that the Emperor is now working in secret within the Republic, that I know writers can't resist injecting and referencing into a game like this.

It's a nice answer to "Is the Emperor truly dead?". And if my theory is true, then the answer is quite terrifying for the Republic.

Edited by Gamman

When did that happen?

I assume he's referring to Ilum, where Malgus enlists the Republic's help to eliminate Darth Arho, ostensibly because he was a warmonger and Malgus recognised the need for the Empire to stop fighting, but in reality because he was in Malgus's way somehow.

Of course, I wouldn't really call it manipulation, myself - Arho was always an objective anyway, all Malgus really did was point the Republic in his direction and wait.

When did that happen?

During the Battle of Ilum, Supreme Commander Rans was thoroughly outmaneuvered by Darth Arho - not exactly a paragon of military brilliance - resulting in his capture and torture. Rans was rescued by the player and returned to the main Republic base on the planet to coordinate the remainder of the campaign. He was promptly outthought by Darth Malgus, who manipulated him into destroying Malgus' rival (Arho). In order to manage the battle against Malgus' forces, Rans brought together a council of the Republic's most highly regarded leaders, who were then nearly killed by one of Malgus' assassins.

In short, Rans screwed up horrendously. Not all of the things that went wrong in the Ilum campaign were totally his fault (Arho would've been a target anyway, as Bleeters mentioned), but most of them were, and none of the things that he did do helped all that much.

Jace Malcom, his replacement, served on Alderaan during the first war and again at the outbreak of the second. He appeared in the "Hope" trailer and in the Republic's version of the Alderaan Bonus Series. Malcom's career during the first war led to an affair with then-Knight, later Master Satele Shan. Malcom is the father of Shan's son, Theron, as confirmed in the book The Old Republic: Annihilation. His appearance during Chapter 4 as the Republic's Supreme Commander, managing cleanup operations on Makeb, was puzzling to many people who had previously only seen him as a colonel on Alderaan.

The obvious rebuttal, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is this: Dwight Eisenhower. Eisenhower was a lieutenant colonel in the Regular Army when the Second World War broke out. In 1941, as the United States rapidly began to gear up for involvement in the war, he made full bird, and then became a general officer only two months before Pearl Harbor. When Congress declared war, Eisenhower had held no command appointments and was regarded as a career staff officer. There were many officers with better records who outranked him. Within a year, he'd been made lieutenant general and was slated to command the largest amphibious operation in the history of warfare. Given Eisenhower's subsequent record, it's impossible to gainsay his appointment. But at the time, it appeared as though the main reason he'd been tapped for command was his relationship with George Marshall.

Military history is replete with such examples. Eisenhower's contemporary, Aleksandr Vasilevsky, shot from obscurity to be placed in charge of STAVKA's planning and operations during the Second World War. It was Vasilevsky who directed the operations that destroyed the German Sixth Army at Stalingrad; he later took a position similar to Marshall's in America, conducting high-level strategy and logistical planning. Another American example would be Ulysses Grant, who came up from much darker circumstances (failed farmer, failed speculator, allegations of drunkenness leading to resignation of his commission) to lead the entire Army to victory over the Confederacy in the American Civil War. Or take the Prussian Helmuth von Moltke, who was tapped for command of an obscure planning bureau in 1859; by 1870, he'd be one of the most famous soldiers in the world, as the mastermind of victorious wars against Denmark, Austria, and France.

Of course, maybe Malcom goes on to be an incompetent mismanager. Maybe the appointment turns out to be bad. There are plenty of tyro generals catapulted from obscurity who turn out to be less competent than people might have expected. Some of them are even utter morons, like Robert Nivelle or John Pope. The critics may turn out to be right after all. We just don't know yet, and right now there's simply not enough there to suggest that he'll be unfit for command.

Edited by Euphrosyne

During the Battle of Ilum, Supreme Commander Rans was thoroughly outmaneuvered by Darth Arho -

<snip>

That's one interpretation, but Rans did win the Battle for Ilum. I don't think anyone in the story ever suggests that he was at fault for any setbacks or that he was fired from his job.

There's really too much speculation here.

I've never understood how she went from 'Completely failing to rebuild Taris' to "Supreme Chancellor'.

Like, who stood around and went "Well, she couldn't handle one backwater swamp planet, lets give her control of the entire Republic!" :p