Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why wasn't an 'Engineer' Class never developed or conceived for this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why wasn't an 'Engineer' Class never developed or conceived for this game?

Kingsbount
08.09.2017 , 06:30 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Better said, why wasn't the game given a new class at all? All the other MMO's have added at least one new class, in Guild Wars 2 the Revenant, in WoW also something (not sure what as I don't play that game), in ESO the Warden... but SWTOR got no new classes. I do wonder why, probably resources and time but maybe Keith could answer this question?

I've always thought Knight of Zakuul would be an excellent class to add.
Exactly.
SWTOR is stuck on his way.
This game really needs something new. And no - im not talking about operations/flashpoints/house.

This game needs a new gameplay features. Which new CLASSES can provide.

This is Star Wars after all dammit!!!
This Universe is literally LIMITLESS!!!
So are the possibilities for the new classes!

If the devs main argument that they cannot afford new story for additional classes - there's always an option to make them Outlanders.
"Дебилы, б****дь" (с) Сергей Лавров

MingusPho
08.14.2017 , 11:10 AM | #22
I think this is a good idea given the sheer amount of things that could be crafted --- healing, harvesting, and combat drones; turrets; furniture; ships; mounts; and ship mods.

I fear the game needs a new game overhaul to impliment such a thing however by reviewing and improving the game's overall crafting mechanic with crewskills.

Ellisande
08.15.2017 , 03:45 AM | #23
No. The Non Force Using classes we already are already a huge blight on the game, adding more just makes the problem worse. Plus the "Engineer" class is always the most ruinous one because the concept makes no bloody sense. Especially in Guild Wars 2. The "turrets" that the engineer places are turrets that need to be hand cranked to work,but the Engineer doesn't hand crank them. They just place them and somehow the turret is hand cranked and aimed by absolutely nothing. That class ruins the game because it is so ridiculously stupid and such a violation of the setting.
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk View Post
You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing.

Elessara
08.15.2017 , 05:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
No. The Non Force Using classes we already are already a huge blight on the game, adding more just makes the problem worse. Plus the "Engineer" class is always the most ruinous one because the concept makes no bloody sense. Especially in Guild Wars 2. The "turrets" that the engineer places are turrets that need to be hand cranked to work,but the Engineer doesn't hand crank them. They just place them and somehow the turret is hand cranked and aimed by absolutely nothing. That class ruins the game because it is so ridiculously stupid and such a violation of the setting.
No, they are not a blight on the game. Not everyone wants to play a Jedi or Sith and - in my opinion - this game would be pretty boring if that's all you saw running around. Also, in SWTOR, one would not have to hand crank a turret nor would one have to aim it. It would fire and aim itself because technology. This IS Star Wars, turrets like this are pretty much droids that do one thing and one thing only - fire a big gun.

The most likely reason BioWare won't make a new class like an Engineer is they are very unlikely to create new class stories for them so they'd have to fit them in with the current class stories. I could kinda see how Engineer might fit in with say Imperial Agent/Smuggler (maybe, kind of a stretch) but then, to keep things fair, they'd have to come up with another class for the existing archetypes that would fit into their class stories. That would be 3 new advanced classes to fit into 7 more stories. Then they'd either have to allow people to switch advanced classes or allow more character slots per server because some people have used up all of their character slots and don't want to delete (yes, these people exist) and they don't want to play on a new server. Then they'd have to balance these classes for PvE and PvP and do we really want them to do that?