Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why wasn't an 'Engineer' Class never developed or conceived for this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why wasn't an 'Engineer' Class never developed or conceived for this game?

AngFour
08.09.2017 , 12:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by bdatt View Post
I can see it now:

Vitiate: "You were my sole focus."
Engineer: "Really, I just fix stuff."
Oh man, can you imagine all the over the top dialog KotFE/ET had and replace our Outlanders with Fixer 12 from Imperial Intelligence?
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/WdlNy8 I get stuff, you get stuff, we both win!

SavantDreadtech
08.09.2017 , 01:05 PM | #12
Cannot the same be said of any class not used?

Limited resources I guess would be the reason. No game is ever going to get anything limitless, be that character classes, planets or lands (if set on a single world) or anything else.

Qouivandes
08.09.2017 , 01:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by HeatRacer View Post
Cybertech is already the crew skill for crafting mounts, though they haven't added any new schematics in awhile.
i know this, too. The last mounts they added to them were those crew skill themed mounts. i guess they felt they needed something after taking both droid parts and armor'ings away. rather wish i wouldnt have gotten rid of that on my sniper and kept him as cyber so i wouldnt have to relearn all those on the rails ship parts again.

regardless, sorry for half hijacking the thread. a retooling of crew skills would most likely result in more subs lost regardless of the outcome.

if done properly, an Engineer class would be interesting. We can be Engineer 12 of 16 Corellian Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-Five-Nine or CTA-1216-U059. for short? to think, just yesterday i was grease monkey on Corellia...today, thanks to my bearded benefactor, i rule the Galaxy...not a bad day and the benefits are great!
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

WorldSmasher
08.09.2017 , 01:24 PM | #14
I thought the Imperial Agent, with all of the various probe droids and such was the engineer class....

CaptRogue
08.09.2017 , 01:32 PM | #15
I'm not quite sure why or how engineer would be a class? A crew skill yes. But a class, no. It doesn't even fit with the theme of the game.
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

JepFareborn
08.09.2017 , 02:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
I'm not quite sure why or how engineer would be a class? A crew skill yes. But a class, no. It doesn't even fit with the theme of the game.
Heals (Medic), DPS (Infantry, Assault, Sniper), TANK (Heavy Support?)

Engineer . . . .

Clear it up, any?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/920407-b...d-2/faqs/52497
I'm currently residing on Server - Satele Shan - formerly from The Harbinger and before that Gauntlet of Kreshh.

Verain
08.09.2017 , 04:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Spyderwoman View Post
Maybe not a class but could do a new crew skill? That would be a good one
If OP is asking for an engineer class, he wants to lay turrets that deal meaningful damage, far outside of what would be acceptable for a crew skill to give. He wants a character that deals indirect damage with deployables and pets as a significant portion of his total character damage / heals / etc. That would require a class, not some addition.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Ylliarus
08.09.2017 , 04:57 PM | #18
Better said, why wasn't the game given a new class at all? All the other MMO's have added at least one new class, in Guild Wars 2 the Revenant, in WoW also something (not sure what as I don't play that game), in ESO the Warden... but SWTOR got no new classes. I do wonder why, probably resources and time but maybe Keith could answer this question?

I've always thought Knight of Zakuul would be an excellent class to add.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Verain
08.09.2017 , 05:06 PM | #19
WoW has added the Death Knight, Monk, and Demon Hunter. FFXIV has added the Ninja, Astrologian, Dark Knight, Machinist, Red Mage, and Samurai.

Some of these classes have required minimal new animations. Others require an entire suite of class resources. WoW and SWTOR classes have specs that determine many of the moves and the roles: FFXIV characters don't have this customization at all. No one worries about White Mage dps except as it compares to other healers, for instance, because when you are a White Mage you are a healer, full stop.

From a game balance perspective, SWTOR has 8 classes with a total of 24 possible ways that they can play. From a design and animation perspective, SWTOR has 16 classes. This is a pretty powerful difference, and adds to the cost of adding a class.

If SWTOR was going to add new classes, their logical starting point would be to add advanced classes. This lets them reuse their existing story content and two of the eight base classes to accomplish that. Another fine idea would be to add specializations, such that each class has four instead of three. I have no idea when they will do it, though, if ever.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Tadagyt
08.09.2017 , 05:17 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JepFareborn View Post
This game needs an 'Engineer' Class - Like Team Fortress Classic or Battlefield series had. Have the engineer build turrets, bridges, lay landmines, and create mechanical devices during OPs Raids or Flashpoints (for example).
STO has that class too. It's super fun, turrets, shields, grenades, drones.

Engineers are support. They can both DPS and heal the whole group a bit with their toys.

/signed