Will SWTOR Ever Give Players the Freedom of Choice: Pet Class/Solo Class?

ShadowMasterRP

So I've been playing since early access and am enjoying the singleplayer/co-op content in the game immensely. The storylines and the conversation rolls in parties and whatnot are all great fun.

However, when it comes to the MMO part of MMORPG, I find one huge problem that keeps irritating me to no end, making it hard to enjoy the game.

SWTOR professes to be a class based MMORPG, yet takes away a vital, core choice that players in class based MMOs make to play the kind of character they really want:

Pet Class or Solo Class

Dismissing your companion means losing as much damage as you do alone. Not to mention healing companions, which are immensely useful as well.

You end up at a huge disadvantage even when solo questing.

You end up at an obvious lack of balance in WPvP.

You end up having to spend huge amounts of credits if you don't take the companions with you to take/submit quests since you don't gain as much compassion, which is responsible for their crafting/gathering mission capacity.

To get to the point: pets in SWTOR are mandatory, and no, simply dismissing them is not an option because of the disadvantage that causes.

So I'm wondering: is there any chance the devs will alter this to allow players who want to play solo classes to play solo classes or will pets always be mandatory to SWTOR?

Before anyone starts up with, "You knew the game would be heavily built around companions" -- that is irrelevant.

The issue is that SWTOR takes away the player's choice of subclass: pet class or solo class. The question isn't whether to keep playing or quit. The question is whether there's any chance that the devs will realize the mistake they've made (and it is a mistake purely from an objective point of view regarding class based MMOs in general) and correct it or not.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly was the mistake again?

Also, how can an advertised and heavily featured aspect of this MMO be irrevelant?

It's like saying putting an automatic transmission in a car is denying you the choice of having a manual transmission and the option for you to buy a manual is irrevelant!

It's a mistake because you cannot force all classes to be pet classes in a class based MMO.

And that's irrelevant because this isn't a "ZOMG I'm quitting!" thread.

There are plenty of reasons to keep playing the game.

The question is: will pets ever stop being mandatory?

And I suppose to expand on that: what would be the best way to change the companion system to remove the issue of pets being mandatory?

The answer is clearly "NO".

Companions are integral part of the game. And it's companion which make the challenging solo content we have in SW:TOR possible.

The whole game is designed around having a companion with you, so this will obviously never change.

Your companions/crew/motley rag-tag group of loyal friends are a large part of every bioware game, they advance the story, add their own stories to yours, have dialogue during quests... they're fantastic pieces of the game, and for the most part self sufficient.

I doubt they'd sacrifice the story aspects because some people want to play without a companion, and I doubt they'd create a class thats equally as powerful as another class + their companion.

just play the first 8 levels or so of each class! Then play them again!

But really, I doubt this game would head in a direction where you can choose a class that doesn't utilize companions. There are times in the story where I have to do things completely alone, and those are cool. I think from an RP point of view it sucks that you can't choose to just be a lone wolf.

I doubt that in star wars a bad *** sith warrior would always be hanging with a sassy twilek everywhere he went. Especially when your companions get to hear all of the confidential mission assignments and dark council secrets. It's kind of odd. The rest of the game is so amazing to me that I'm willing to continue anyway.

But realistically...I don't think it looks like they'd ever abandon the companion concept.

And why not?

Because it's a core choice, a vital part of character creation in any class based MMO.

You simply cannot take away that choice and expect the game to be as popular and fun as MMOs that don't make the same mistake, that don't force the choice onto players.

Though I wasn't steering the idea towards MORE classes being added who don't use companions. And I certainly have nothing against companions being used for crafting and crew skill missions.

But on a purely technical level, there are two types of MMO players: those who like playing pet classes and those who can't stand annoying pets following them around in combat and whatnot.

The main issue is the combat and to a lesser extent the questing dialogues with companions present. There's nothing wrong with having companions run crew skill missions and craft things for you, just like there's nothing wrong with companions having their related storylines and affection gains leading to various developments.

It's just that a companion, a pet, should never be mandatory for all classes in combat and questing.

Edited by ShadowMasterRP

Well

#1 They have forced all classes to have companions (calling them pets is just a lame attempt to diminsh and insult them to less then what they are. TOR companions are far more complaexe then any pet class previously)

#2 Im pretty sure I been in 4 man groups and 24 man raids with no companions present so grouping can and does happen with out companions already.

#3 I personally like companions. Only 2 things Id like done with them is

3a) Have a selection of companions, a pool of them that you select 5 from so every Inquiz doesnt have Khem as a companion

and

3b) The companion storylines envolved you going out and doing stuff, not just standing there talking to companion while they tell you the storyline. Need a claw of something? Lets go hunt for it. Need to steal something, lets go steal it. I want the companion storylines to be more interactive then they currently are.

There is plenty of MMORPGs that allow you to play with out a companion. If your so dead set against them and lack the ability and skill to play the game with out them, maybe this game not for you OP?

I LOVE the companions and I hope they become a perm staple of all future MMORPGs for every single class out there.

Why shouldnt a Cleric have a pocket Warrior to call out and adventure with?

Why shouldnt a warrior have a pocket cleric?

ect.

I'm sorry, but your argument boils down to "It should be a choice, because it has always been a choice."

Companions help the story and they help players solo content they normally wouldn't be able to due to their spec. If you have a real game reason why this should change I would love to hear it.

Simply stick to PvP and Flashpoints. No companions are allowed, so everyone's on even ground.

If questing with a companion is so abhorrent, take solace in the fact that it won't last forever. End game for everyone will be the same, dungeons, raids, or PvP, where companions will never be used.

Having companions makes it much more possible to make single player content difficult

Your companion can make up for your class's deficits, and your group will be very balanced out

And thus, single-player content can be challenging

A single character could not do that, unless they had the health of the tank and the damage of a dps specc

Well

#1 They have forced all classes to have companions (calling them pets is just a lame attempt to diminsh and insult them to less then what they are. TOR companions are far more complaexe then any pet class previously)

Wo wo wo, TOR companions are far more complex? You are kidding me right? They are pets. Period. Or do you mean that crafting make them complex... lawls... ****

You can. They have.

Full stop.

And the game is worse off for it. That's my point.

Changing the game to make companions non-mandatory for combat and questing would be an improvement. It wouldn't destroy the existing mechanics that allow those who DO enjoy companions to have fun but would allow those who hate pet classes to play solo classes.

In other words, there's no downside to making companions non-mandatory in combat/questing since you have the choice, yet there is a downside to them being forced on everyone.

The question is how to make them optional...

OP

You've bought up some good points, and in some aspects your right. you've made the agruement that you should be able to choose if you want to SOLO or use your companion. BUT due to the fact that the way the game is programmed there isn't much to do about it besides adding a buff that would just lead to more imbalance.

Oh look...someone else who didn't research the game enough before playing it. Nice join date -.-

I'm pretty sure I pre-empted such replies with "that's irrelevant," because it is.

Optional companions would be an improvement, no matter how you look at it.

Are you against improving the game?

Replies like that are exactly why SWTOR's community is looked upon as a bunch of fanboys, which is far from the truth, but the stigma is still there because of people praising everything as the holy grail and not acknowledging the possibility of improvements.

Not gonna quote first post, cuz im lazy.

So here we go.

Are you nutz?!

Have you even played a bioware game before?

You have companions in all bioware games, sure you can go solo, but only if you had:

1. right gear

2. Certain spec.

3. cheats (never used them, for ppl with no skillz).

Doesnt mean you need a full group of companions to do every single quest, for most the solo ones you'd probably just need a healer or a dps if your the healer.

Maybe you need to learn about the combat mechanics of your class! been in heroics+4 where groups wipe because they dont even use imobilizing skills when fighting 5 tough mob npcs.

WoW i hear you say? for 3 year olds who have no skill wat-so-ever or people watching TV using macros to spam there 1 button kill switch!

All i hear in these severs is "wah wah wah, mommy!" - learn how to play your class, or find something easier to play.