Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance: October 24th, 2017
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jnaathra
10.24.2017 , 04:34 PM | #191
Pretty dirty to completely do away with west coast servers.

Aztang
10.24.2017 , 05:13 PM | #192
Could this even be undone if they put their energy into reestablishing a west coast server?
Darth Plaguess The Mada Legacy
<Epidemic> The Harbinger

Kaizersan
10.24.2017 , 05:20 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Aztang View Post
Could this even be undone if they put their energy into reestablishing a west coast server?
Not likely as they already physically moved the data centers to the east coast and that cost money.

KendraP
10.24.2017 , 05:22 PM | #194
A few questions and I'm not trying to be overly obnoxious, just don't really know all the technicalities.

I have several guildies who play from the Pacific. Wouldn't this inevitably affect their server lag, and thereby their gameplay experience? This is based on my own observations playing on harby from international locations anyway.

More fundamentally, if they're in the same place anyway, why bother having a "west coast" server if it's going to be located on the east coast? Is there too large a population still playing?

Again, hunting for answers. Not purposefully beikng obnoxious or stupid.

EnzoForMe
10.24.2017 , 06:02 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hi all,

Today’s maintenance was part of the United Forces effort!

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

Cheers!

-Keith--
You don't "work out the kinks" of latency caused by physical distance. It will simply be a fact that APAC and West Coast players will have a degraded play experience and claiming otherwise is asinine.

If you could "smooth out" latency due to physical distance I'm sure actual tech companies like Oracle, Amazon, and on the cable side Verizon/Comcast would love to purchase your proprietary technology and leverage it to be ridiculously profitable.

I think we both know that's not the case.

I'm an East Coast player so this doesn't even affect me directly but this may be the most bizarre and tone-deaf thing you've done, particularly to pvpers.
Caprica <The Squirtle Squad>
S-3/S-6 #1 Group Ranked Sniper
S-2/S-8 #1 Solo Gunslinger/Sniper

AscendingSky
10.24.2017 , 06:08 PM | #196
Quote: Originally Posted by Pandoras_Jar View Post
Why not just have one US Server then? There's no point having west and east anymore.

Also, this is going to have a negative impact on APAC players
EA has made it abundantly clear over the years that they don't give a toss about APAC players.
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Mdgshorty
10.24.2017 , 06:10 PM | #197
Hi all,

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues. Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.

Cheers!

-Keith--
Keith,

I don't think this was really a good idea here, but I see both sides of the coin though. You really should have let us all know that this change was going to go in effect before the merge so that people could make the right choice as to which server they want their characters on.

I see why though, that you decided to move the west coast servers. Its probably easier to manage both US servers from one location.

I live in the midwest, so I live in the central time zone so the ping make little difference to me. It was only 20ms difference between the east and west servers. Though the east coast, I always had slightly better ping. I feel for the people who are farther aways and see a difference though.
Star Forge
Sparkal - Scoundrel - Enduring Dawn
Sparkala - Scoundrel - COTP

7 Days free subscription time + free stuff = http://www.swtor.com/r/nKJJWc

KittyKat_Karrot
10.24.2017 , 06:28 PM | #198
If all NA servers are now in the same physical location, it would be awesome if you just merged them all into a single NA server. It would be great for the pvp community. No reason to keep it split in half if there's no latency difference.

Costello
10.24.2017 , 06:35 PM | #199
Does it seem that this is being handled particularly badly.

Firstly its announced they will be upgrading the hardware and software. Naturally this produces a few forum goers to cheer with joy but aside from this what was the upgrade and what was the end result. Now I'm all for upgrades, give me less ping, better graphics, enhanced combat, beautiful expansive worlds I love it. But it doesn't appear this upgrade is for any of that, so its great there are upgrades but for what open world PvP? It feels like what they meant to say was 'we have upgraded the servers but you wont see any benefit', which begs the question was there any upgrade.

But then it seems people have been negatively effected by this upgrade, notably Germany and West Coast, not small segments of the player base. So it doesn't seem this has been an upgrade but a downgrade.

And instead of increased communication, its one post about ironing out some of the kinks, I would have though the big kink was distance and thats not something that can be ironed out. And aside from reducing a footprint which I can only imagine is the carbon footprint its not clear at all what has been upgraded for those not in Germany or the West Coast. Is the Carbon footprint of one west coast server really that big a deal? I'd wager there are far more effective ways of cutting the carbon footprint such as what was the carbon footprint of flying the dev team to New York for the cantina event. All we can hope is that EA gets recognized for it work combating global warming I'm sure that will make the players effected feel better. Even if it makes their performance in game worse.

It then is left with asking players for feedback and patience while completely ignoring the forums. This ranks up there with Charles not being willing to talk about lag in 16 man ops till someone asks nicely then says they don't know whats causing it and would players please help to resubmit tickets. You don't have a go at people and then ask those same people for help cause you don't know whats causing it. You want tickets logged and patience, it make sense to engage with these people not ignore them.

So it seems that for whatever reason this is being handled badly and you got to wonder why would you handle it like this. I doubt anyone could spin this as being handled well for the game and likely to have people that may have come back for their free SOR stuff thinking that a game with a future.

MerriwxOne
10.24.2017 , 07:25 PM | #200
Hi all,

I'm not on the West coast....my lag has been a problem since launch, AND now you say you've fixed it but my lag is worse today????

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues.
Seriously??? Like WHY??? Customer service never helps...I upload this ping test, that ping test, all that crap every single time i've called ....to get level2 support...that doesn't know more than level1.
You have crap servers and server lag, because you pay for cheap service for your customers that you nickle -n- dime with CC crap, re-skins of old gear, and nothing new...even the "new" planets look like pcs of other areas jumbled together.
Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.
Asking for patience has wore thin....you all should be embarrassed. Does anyone have the balls to say..."Hey..we have *%$#$ up" Let's fix this before our cash cow runs dry"...NOPE....not one of you. Bad class changes, acting like you don't know that class utilities are broken, and you all are acting like we should be praising you all...."Ohh TY Keith" , "No problem Bio-ware", "We understand Musco!"....SERIOUSLY...."GET OUT OF STUPID!!...Seriously!"