Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It's no fun to be constantly controlled

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
It's no fun to be constantly controlled

StrikePrice
05.22.2020 , 06:47 AM | #1
This is a mainstay concept of all decent MMO PvP. Unfortunately, the SWTOR devs don't understand this. I would love to see a dev answer this question:

What percentage of time do you expect to be controlled during a normal warzone?

15% of the time? 20% of the time?

It's more like 90% of the time right now. In a WZ, you are constantly under some kind of control ... stun, mez, root, slow, push, pull.

I realize BW does not care about PvP and will not put the time into the effort of fixing all the problems the game has, but slow and root should be added to the Resolve system. This will allow melee a chance to have a little bit of time in a WZ not under some kind of controlling influence.

Evolixe
05.22.2020 , 08:42 AM | #2
Every class has plentyful tools to deal with things like this. Compared to other games alike I feel like there is a lot of room for counterplay. If you think the way it is is too much, I think PvP might just not be your thing.

Because PvP is not about dealing the most damage, or the most healing, or anything like that.
PvP is about taking control of other people. You beat them not by pressing your buttons harder and doing 5 more dps than the next guy. You beat them by outsmarting them on control related matters.

As such, it is your GOAL to keep enemy players under at least some sort effect as close to 100% of the time as possible. Of course there are plentyful rules and exceptions, but for that I would direct you to Nelaa's guide at the top of this forum section.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

StrikePrice
05.22.2020 , 11:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Every class has plentyful tools to deal with things like this. Compared to other games alike I feel like there is a lot of room for counterplay. If you think the way it is is too much, I think PvP might just not be your thing.

Because PvP is not about dealing the most damage, or the most healing, or anything like that.
PvP is about taking control of other people. You beat them not by pressing your buttons harder and doing 5 more dps than the next guy. You beat them by outsmarting them on control related matters.

As such, it is your GOAL to keep enemy players under at least some sort effect as close to 100% of the time as possible. Of course there are plentyful rules and exceptions, but for that I would direct you to Nelaa's guide at the top of this forum section.
No, the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

Evolixe
05.22.2020 , 11:21 AM | #4
The classic "im not the problem, you're the problem" response.
And yet you wonder why it is that PvP is so difficult for you

If you refuse to learn then PvP is clearly not for you. I think we can end the thread now seeing as you don't want to consider the fact that you might just not be very good.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

-Bob-
05.22.2020 , 11:30 AM | #5

^^^^^This!
There are no Victims, Only volunteers!
Der Untermensch
Referral link
Wound in the force/The Bastion/Harbinger/SS

Shirvington
05.22.2020 , 11:58 AM | #6
I wouldn't be opposed to a white bar lasting longer. And some effects, like Low Slash, need to add more resolve.

Evolixe
05.22.2020 , 12:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Shirvington View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to a white bar lasting longer. And some effects, like Low Slash, need to add more resolve.
You're saying that because it annoys whatever class you like to play the most.
If you played an Assassin yourself you wouldn't be saying that.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

Shirvington
05.22.2020 , 01:51 PM | #8
You're saying that because it annoys whatever class you like to play the most.
If you played an Assassin yourself you wouldn't be saying that.
I play all classes, so put your psychology degree back in your pocket. The problem with Low Slash is that it behaves like a stun instead of a mezz. If it broke on damage instantly like awe or flash, no prob. But you are stuck in the animation (or just stunned, whatever BW intended) for a solid 2 seconds.

So, again, I'd be ok with increased white bar or more resolve generated in general but especially from specific abilities.

Soljin
05.22.2020 , 04:19 PM | #9
Assassin/Shadow and Smug/Operative "mains" should be "White Barred" from commenting on CC duration conversations...Of course they are in this thread defending CC duration. Top 2 duelist classes in the game have stealth and heavy CC...Do the math.

When I randomly decide I want to goof off in PvP and have fun I jump on my Juggernaut, When I want a challenge I jump on my Sorc healer, When I want to pick all my fights and dominate other players I jump on my Shadow...I don't even roll w/ Operative I feel like it's cheating.
I want my SWG...
Refer a friend link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rqkzQz

Evolixe
05.22.2020 , 05:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Shirvington View Post
I play all classes, so put your psychology degree back in your pocket. The problem with Low Slash is that it behaves like a stun instead of a mezz. If it broke on damage instantly like awe or flash, no prob. But you are stuck in the animation (or just stunned, whatever BW intended) for a solid 2 seconds.

So, again, I'd be ok with increased white bar or more resolve generated in general but especially from specific abilities.
Yeah with "playing a class" i didn't mean having one at level 75, mate.
I meant knowing to play them well.

I also have one of every class and I don't experience any issues with crowd control on any of them. I'd sooner argue theres too many variants of immunity for it.

So again, this is a player problem. Not a game problem.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch