Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype Powertech/Plasmatech and Tactics Vanguard Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype Powertech/Plasmatech and Tactics Vanguard Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Crolug
07.13.2015 , 11:32 PM | #11
I don't use current set bonuses (well, tecnically, I'm using 2pc bonus anyway) - I'm all 174, except for 4 armorings from 162. I find them much more useful in my PvP experience.
"Twice the pride - double the fall"
Count Dooku

Zunamii
07.13.2015 , 11:50 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Note from the Combat team on this...

With Knights of the Fallen Empire being just around the corner, we just wanted to give you all a chance to let us know if there are any particular set bonuses that you dislike and give you an opportunity to suggest your ideas for improvement. We are not looking to make drastic changes to the set bonuses currently in game. In fact, if the players of a certain class's role are happy with their current set bonuses, then we are happy to leave those set bonuses intact.

This is excellent feedback (which is what we are hoping to read in these threads), and we will look into making the icons more varied and readable for you in the future. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Here is some feedback to you, the new sets are better than the old in one way. Because they're more balanced to other classes set bonuses. My only concern about newest Dps sets are that they lack imagination, as long as all bonuses are equally good, but not same benefits.

TyrannisWP
07.13.2015 , 11:57 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunamii View Post
Here is some feedback to you, the new sets are better than the old in one way. Because they're more balanced to other classes set bonuses. My only concern about newest Dps sets are that they lack imagination, as long as all bonuses are equally good, but not same benefits.
Lack imagination is putting it very mildly.
Entity

Raansu
07.14.2015 , 04:10 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrannisWP View Post
Lack imagination is putting it very mildly.
Well its not supposed to be imaginative. Its all about homogenization and making everything equal in balance.

Aetrus
07.14.2015 , 05:30 PM | #15
I hate the 6 piece set bonus for almost every DPS class. I think the autocrit thing is a poor idea, and it's made worse in AP. That's why so many people whine about AP's burst, is because of the huge DPS you can pump out in its opener due to the guaranteed crit on Energy Burst.

My ideal 6 piece set bonus for Combat Tech would be to bring back the old PvE set bonus of 8% increased damage on Railshot. This would help Pyro's damage out as well as toning down AP's huge burst in its opener (unless you get lucky.)

But like I said, I'm not a fan of the autocrit on any set bonus and I think they all need to be changed. It's absolutely broken in specs, such as AP...but also for Marksman snipers. You shouldn't be allowed two guaranteed almost 20k hits per minute, which is exactly what you have with the way Laze Target works with their 6-piece.
Max Out Your Affection with Aetrus
A'etrus
<Eradication>

S'ynergy
<It's a Little Chewy>

tavrinDosa
07.14.2015 , 05:31 PM | #16
It might be just me, but the rotation would feel much more fluid if the 6 piece bonus was change so that rocket punch would be the proc trigger for the crit bonus rather than mag blast.

Raansu
07.14.2015 , 05:39 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetrus View Post
I hate the 6 piece set bonus for almost every DPS class. I think the autocrit thing is a poor idea, and it's made worse in AP. That's why so many people whine about AP's burst, is because of the huge DPS you can pump out in its opener due to the guaranteed crit on Energy Burst.

My ideal 6 piece set bonus for Combat Tech would be to bring back the old PvE set bonus of 8% increased damage on Railshot. This would help Pyro's damage out as well as toning down AP's huge burst in its opener (unless you get lucky.)

But like I said, I'm not a fan of the autocrit on any set bonus and I think they all need to be changed. It's absolutely broken in specs, such as AP...but also for Marksman snipers. You shouldn't be allowed two guaranteed almost 20k hits per minute, which is exactly what you have with the way Laze Target works with their 6-piece.
Well good thing you're the minority because the autocrits are the best part of all the sets.

Capt_Beers
07.14.2015 , 05:50 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by iprice View Post
Something I really dislike about the setbonuses currently is there really isn't much diversity in them. Dps gets x% damage for using x ability and x ability makes x ability crit it made it much less individualized per class and just all around boring. And leave very little impact on classes other than you do x% less damage during a fight.
That's the point. Pre-3.0 set bonuses were garbage for some classes and amazing for others (15% increased crit chance on RS vs 5 extra energy). It's better that they are the very similar across the board as it makes balance easier.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

Kakisback
07.14.2015 , 06:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Well good thing you're the minority because the autocrits are the best part of all the sets.
He's not saying that the autocrit isn't useful... he's criticizing it from a design perspective. Of course they're strong; that doesn't mean they're well designed.
Kakarrotx/Meleehealer/Brawlly/Trunkkss/Whatashocker/Asparaguss/Kakadot/Lettucce/Greenn/Radishz/Burdok

TACeMossie
07.14.2015 , 07:37 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakisback View Post
He's not saying that the autocrit isn't useful... he's criticizing it from a design perspective. Of course they're strong; that doesn't mean they're well designed.
That and its significantly stronger on certain disciplines:
e.g. Tactics has it used on a surge-boosted ability with an effective cooldown of 24 seconds, so you know the bonus is going to be significant.

Vigilance, on the other hand, uses its auto-crit ability every 9 seconds, and doesn't get a surge boost for it. Watchman only uses it every 6 seconds and misses out on a surge boost. Ruffian spams the hell out of its auto-crit ability and gets no surge boosts. How are these supposed to compete with the raw power of an auto-crit cell burst?

Those abilities are going to be 9-10k, where as Cell Burst is 14+k when it crits - meaning that AP gets a significanlty better benefit out of this.

THE SOLUTION

Make the cooldown of the crit boost relative to the power of it. Try to make the auto-crit provide the same power benefit for every spec. And if a spec lacks a surge boost on its auto-crit, include a 30% surge boost to the auto-crit as well

BOOM
6-piece fixed.

For reference, the DPS increase of Cell Burst/Energy Burst's auto-crit is about 1.8%, which puts it on par with the old +8% rail shot damage, but the rail shot damage boost didn't translate as well into old Tactics - while the new auto-crit fire pulse does translate well into plasmatech.

All we gotta do is get the auto-crits balanced out to ~1.8%. Or, as I'd prefer it to be, auto-crit TD instead of CB, which means we'd want the auto-crit bonus to be ~1.2% more DPS (plus changing it to TD will tone down some of the scary burst by removing 4k damage from the auto-crit)
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf