Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech: Tanking and You

Escaflownae
01.11.2012 , 11:26 AM | #11
I haven't finished testing this (which is why it's not in the guide) but I have been noticing that Explosive Surge seems to have a higher threat modifier than pulse cannon. So from my experience it appears that the lower end damage on explosive surge is mitigated by a higher threat gen and thus is a nice companion for a well timed pulse cannon.

I'm going to be going a 1000 over 1000 test on this just to make sure here shortly.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

Need a referral? Here you go

Darguth
01.11.2012 , 11:50 AM | #12
Unfortunately the "Tanking Rotation" is a bit of a myth for Vanguards I think. With Static Shield and Shield Cycler specced plus the additional Ammo regeneration from Energy Blast the rotation is really far from static once you hit 40.

Better to say there is a situational priority list of abilities to use depending on your current Ammo level. You want to maximize your threat/damage output each GCD while never dropping below 8 Ammo unless you're about to immediately use Energy Blast.

While far from a perfectly theory-crafted list my take would be the following (assuming you do not need to regain or snap threat):

Single Target
A.) If Ammo >= 10
1.) Stockstrike
2.) High-Impact Bolt
3.) If Static Field not present or soon-to-expire, Ion Pulse.
4.) Sticky Grenade
5.) Ion Pulse
B.) Else Ammo <= 9
1.) Energy Blast
2.) Hammer Shot
This also does not factor in GCDs needed to trigger defensive abilities as-necessary while tanking. Usually I prefer to replace a weaved Hammer Shot with such abilities if at all possible.

Escaflownae
01.11.2012 , 11:55 AM | #13
Yea your right it's more of a guide to go by when trying to make your next move. I changed the wording to show that it's a rotation \ priority list. I agree that there is no cookie cutter rotation.

Basically it's a FCFS on the priority list as long as you have 4 ammo and are 3/4 bar.

There was already wording that showed the section was more of a generic guide than a strict must follow order. But thanks for that chart if you don't mind i'll add it in there.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

Darguth
01.11.2012 , 11:57 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Escaflownae View Post
Yea your right it's more of a guide to go by when trying to make your next move. I changed the wording to show that it's a rotation \ priority list. I agree that there is no cookie cutter rotation.

Basically it's a FCFS on the priority list as long as you have 4 ammo and are 3/4 bar.

There was already wording that showed the section was more of a generic guide than a strict must follow order. But thanks for that chart if you don't mind i'll add it in there.
By all means.

Lodau
01.11.2012 , 06:43 PM | #15
Very nice! keep up the good work

Zerophin
01.11.2012 , 10:28 PM | #16
You might want to consider adding the "Gut" build into your discussion (where you forego Energy Blast for Gut in Tactics.) While the final assessment is still open for debate, I don't think Energy Blast is by any means the clear-cut better talent when compared to Gut (enhanced by the Frontline Offense talent as well.)

Time will tell, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to take Energy Blast.

This is the build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogZMsr0o.1

Kaigen
01.11.2012 , 11:05 PM | #17
A couple notes:

1) You might want to note that Guard only transfers 50% of damage in PvP combat. Against mobs it only gives the 5% DR and threat reduction.

2) I have confirmed that you can both shield and dodge while channeling Pulse Cannon. I'm not prepared to do the statistical gathering that would tell whether or not you do so at a reduced rate, but I would caution against assuming that case. Pulse Cannon already breaks rules associated with channeled abilities from other games by having no pushback, and I have not noticed any significant increase in damage taken while channeling it.

Escaflownae
01.12.2012 , 12:13 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerophin View Post
You might want to consider adding the "Gut" build into your discussion (where you forego Energy Blast for Gut in Tactics.) While the final assessment is still open for debate, I don't think Energy Blast is by any means the clear-cut better talent when compared to Gut (enhanced by the Frontline Offense talent as well.)

Time will tell, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to take Energy Blast.

This is the build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogZMsr0o.1
i'm not really debating on the best builds really. In fact my goal is to have several builds up for a tank to have several options. These are personally the ones that I've tried and I refuse to add details that haven't been researched and/or proven.

However you raise a good point that I might want to try going further into the other trees to look at the performance of the hybrids.

I tend to do the 100x1000 test meaning that if I want to test armor or defenses I'll record the marks 100 times and using math determine the results of a 1000 to give me a base system to use against other builds. It's really easier than it sounds.

Escaflownae
01.12.2012 , 12:15 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
A couple notes:

1) You might want to note that Guard only transfers 50% of damage in PvP combat. Against mobs it only gives the 5% DR and threat reduction.
Good point I'll work that in

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post

2) I have confirmed that you can both shield and dodge while channeling Pulse Cannon. I'm not prepared to do the statistical gathering that would tell whether or not you do so at a reduced rate, but I would caution against assuming that case. Pulse Cannon already breaks rules associated with channeled abilities from other games by having no pushback, and I have not noticed any significant increase in damage taken while channeling it.
I want to do the stat gather on this to confirm. I can take a few cases and notice that I have but I'd like to know for sure if there is a reduced amount while channeling.

Acke
01.12.2012 , 05:32 AM | #20
Nice post m8.

Good beginners guide.