Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best Star Wars novels


antifeminist's Avatar


antifeminist
09.01.2019 , 03:17 AM | #1
I really suggest getting into the Star Wars lore if you haven't already.

So there's three SWTOR books, that is Decieved, Revan, and Fatal Alliances.

Also highly recommended are:

Darth Bane trilogy
Darth Plageuis
Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
Darth Maul Lockdown
Death Star
The two Thrawn trilogies
Order 66
Kenobi
pretty much any book from the Clone Wars era

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
09.01.2019 , 08:02 AM | #2
Darth Plagueis is definitely a great novel, not only does it connect well within existing continuity but also tells quite an interesting story.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Goreshaga's Avatar


Goreshaga
09.01.2019 , 08:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by antifeminist View Post
So there's three SWTOR books, that is Decieved, Revan, and Fatal Alliances.
There are 4 actually with Annihilation.

Haven't read Fatal Alliance yet, and haven't finished Deceived wich is not my favourite, but i really enjoyed Revan and Annihilation.
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters

Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
09.01.2019 , 11:13 AM | #4
I greatly disliked the SWTOR novels. I thought the one about Theron Shan and the auction literally unreadable. The only one that is slightly good is Deceived, mainly because it gives a little backstory about Malgus and the Treaty, which is not necessary to understand the game, but is helpful. Beyond that, its main value though is to shoehorn all eight character classes into some kind of coherent story, and it didn't really succeed. I don't even remember the other one, something about a superweapon. Oh and Revan was the worst. I try to forget that book was ever written tbh. This game would have been a lot more interesting if they'd taken their cues from KOTOR2 instead of the first game.

Order 66 was great, but should be read within the Republic Commando series, or a lot of the characters will be unfamiliar. That series also has one big issue in that it doesn't connect well to TCW / Rebels, and I don't mean the million clones thing. In the series, the clones are generally resentful of the Jedi and happy when they get killed. They're not fans of the Empire, but the series goes out of its way to show how Jedi became corrupted by suddenly getting an army. I read those, then saw the cartoons, and was mystified the way the clones after Order 66 continued to hero-worship the Jedi; I think Traviss' version makes more sense.

I mentioned this at length in another thread, but briefly, my picks are:

Allston's Wraith Squadron books
The Han Solo Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Bane Trilogy
Republic Commando Series
Every book Matt Stover wrote: Traitor, The Shadows of Mindor, Shatterstrike and the RotS novelization.
Zahn's books. I also liked Scoundrels.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
09.01.2019 , 11:22 AM | #5
These aren't really novels, but I also recommend three LPs:

Scorchy's LP of KOTOR 2: https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/
PopTarts Ninja's LP of the SW story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...readid=3504077
Inferior's LP of the JC story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...readid=3533179

SA did LPs of all the class stories, but several have been left unfinished.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.01.2019 , 01:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by antifeminist View Post
I really suggest getting into the Star Wars lore if you haven't already.

So there's three SWTOR books, that is Decieved, Revan, and Fatal Alliances.

Also highly recommended are:

Darth Bane trilogy
Darth Plageuis
Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
Darth Maul Lockdown
Death Star
The two Thrawn trilogies
Order 66
Kenobi
pretty much any book from the Clone Wars era
Which one of these has that dark elf ranger, named Drizz't or something like that. I heard that's a great Star Wars book.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

DreadtechSavant's Avatar


DreadtechSavant
09.01.2019 , 04:49 PM | #7
Well SW books comes down to two things, one who wrote it, but then what the over all story arc was about. The Vong story line had writers doing a novel here and there in the overall story arc but generally did not care for it at all. It was not the Vong it was more of the writer just saying " who can I kill off" and nothing more. The Vong themselves I found very interesting such a shame the one pulling the strings was a dark force user, totally ruined it. Still the "who can I kill off" attitude of the writers kind of had already put me of the story arc mid way though it.
So for me any book set before that was OK except any by K.J Anderson. Really found he's books hard to read and how he wrote Luke seemed so out of character at the time. This was of course long before many of the books that followed he's style of writing.

Books good or bad in the SW universe is going to be very subjective, there be plenty who love K.J. Anderson's books but hated the ones I liked. Nothing wrong with that. We all take something different from each book.

Like Zahn's books. (only ones from the EU, did not care for the ones set in the new cannon)
Shadows of the Empire , sorry cannot remember who wrote it.
All the X-Wing books. (various writers)
most of the short stories

Darth Bane was a good book as well. Revan was all kinds of awful.

antifeminist's Avatar


antifeminist
09.01.2019 , 05:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
There are 4 actually with Annihilation.

Haven't read Fatal Alliance yet, and haven't finished Deceived wich is not my favourite, but i really enjoyed Revan and Annihilation.
I actually thought Deceived was one of the top 10 star wars novels, not as good as Darth Bane or Plageius but still better than most.

antifeminist's Avatar


antifeminist
09.01.2019 , 05:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardrossan View Post
I greatly disliked the SWTOR novels. I thought the one about Theron Shan and the auction literally unreadable. The only one that is slightly good is Deceived, mainly because it gives a little backstory about Malgus and the Treaty, which is not necessary to understand the game, but is helpful. Beyond that, its main value though is to shoehorn all eight character classes into some kind of coherent story, and it didn't really succeed. I don't even remember the other one, something about a superweapon. Oh and Revan was the worst. I try to forget that book was ever written tbh. This game would have been a lot more interesting if they'd taken their cues from KOTOR2 instead of the first game.

Order 66 was great, but should be read within the Republic Commando series, or a lot of the characters will be unfamiliar. That series also has one big issue in that it doesn't connect well to TCW / Rebels, and I don't mean the million clones thing. In the series, the clones are generally resentful of the Jedi and happy when they get killed. They're not fans of the Empire, but the series goes out of its way to show how Jedi became corrupted by suddenly getting an army. I read those, then saw the cartoons, and was mystified the way the clones after Order 66 continued to hero-worship the Jedi; I think Traviss' version makes more sense.

I mentioned this at length in another thread, but briefly, my picks are:

Allston's Wraith Squadron books
The Han Solo Trilogy
Darth Plagueis
Bane Trilogy
Republic Commando Series
Every book Matt Stover wrote: Traitor, The Shadows of Mindor, Shatterstrike and the RotS novelization.
Zahn's books. I also liked Scoundrels.
interesting suggestions, I've not read these as of yet, so I'll check them out

Allston's Wraith Squadron books
The Han Solo Trilogy

antifeminist's Avatar


antifeminist
09.01.2019 , 05:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DreadtechSavant View Post
Well SW books comes down to two things, one who wrote it, but then what the over all story arc was about. The Vong story line had writers doing a novel here and there in the overall story arc but generally did not care for it at all. It was not the Vong it was more of the writer just saying " who can I kill off" and nothing more. The Vong themselves I found very interesting such a shame the one pulling the strings was a dark force user, totally ruined it. Still the "who can I kill off" attitude of the writers kind of had already put me of the story arc mid way though it.
So for me any book set before that was OK except any by K.J Anderson. Really found he's books hard to read and how he wrote Luke seemed so out of character at the time. This was of course long before many of the books that followed he's style of writing.

Books good or bad in the SW universe is going to be very subjective, there be plenty who love K.J. Anderson's books but hated the ones I liked. Nothing wrong with that. We all take something different from each book.

Like Zahn's books. (only ones from the EU, did not care for the ones set in the new cannon)
Shadows of the Empire , sorry cannot remember who wrote it.
All the X-Wing books. (various writers)
most of the short stories

Darth Bane was a good book as well. Revan was all kinds of awful.
I stopped reading once I reached that New Jedi Order series, made it thru the first book and half of second. It was really bad writing, and I never much cared for the Luke, Han, Leia characters. Yea the aliens who came from outside the galaxy was very interesting, I think they are bringing back that concept with the new trilogy movie and the newer Thrawn books are hinting at it.

I'll check out the X-Wing books, never read those either.