Guardian Top 3 Questions - Answered

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks, below you can find the top 3 questions, answered. I am going to implement some creative use of the spoiler tag to make this one a bit more readable. The explanations of the questions will be in the spoiler tag. The actual question will just be listed by itself with the answer in yellow.

1. PVP DPS-Role Survivability

2.7 provided a much needed survivability boost to DPS Guardians / Juggernauts. Vigilance / Vengeance in particular benefitted greatly from the changes to Enure / Endure Pain and Focused Defense / Enraged Defense. Vigilance / Vengeance already had a good defensive suite, but was weak to sustained focus fire. The addition of the new Focused Defense / Enraged Defense helps fill that gap, to an extent. With proper rotation of defenses, Vigilance / Vengeance can now last in tougher fights.

Focus on the other hand does not have nearly as strong of a defensive set. It has less passive damage reduction, Enure / Endure Pain isn't as effective without the damage reduction, and lacks Unremitting / Unstoppable, which provides a good amount of damage reduction in addition to stopping stuns. All of this combined makes Focus / Rage far less survivable than Vigilance / Vengeance. I understand that the developers' intent was for Focus / Rage to have less survivability, but it is currently far too much. For comparison, Combat / Carnage is more survivable than Sentinel / Marauder Focus / Rage. However, the disparity is quite small. Both specializations have the same defensive cool downs, and gain good bonuses to both passive and active defenses.

The biggest issue with the survivability of Focus / Rage is that it lacks a useful short cool down moderate mitigation defensive. Enure / Endure Pain may now be on a one minute cool down, but that's not helpful when it serves no use except when low on health. Even then, without combining it with a warzone medpac, it does not delay your death long if you are receiving focused fire. Without a short cool down with moderate mitigation, Focus / Rage only has Saber Reflect for any reliable defensive to use before it's at a critical health range.

Almost all other melee PVP DPS specializations have some form of short cool down defensive that acts as a buffer. Sentinels / Marauders have Rebuke / Cloak of Pain, Infiltration / Deception has Blackout, Tactics / Advanced Prototype have passive 30% damage reduction when stunned and getting attacked lowers the cool down on Reactive Shield / Energy Shield, Assault / Pyrotech has Diversion / Chaff Flares.

In 2.7, Enure / Endure Pain acts as such a defensive for Vigilance / Vengeance, due to the 15% added damage reduction added from Commanding Awe / Deafening Defense. It acts as a decent buffer between other cool downs, and is one of the main reasons why Vigilance / Vengeance can survive better than Focus / Rage. Even if Focus / Rage receives access to that damage reduction, or another skill, Vigilance / Vengeance will still be more survivable due to access to Unremitting / Unstoppable and more passive damage reduction than Focus / Rage.

Another survivability issue that effects all Guardians / Juggernauts is the fact that Guardian Leap / Intercede is inconsistent. It is an amazing ability when used correctly, but has extra complexity added to it, during a time when you need to escape immediately. It requires you to not be rooted, be positioned away from team mates, and requires you to target the specific team mate that is far away. This process usually takes at least one second to do properly, even for the best Guardians / Juggernauts. Given the fast paced nature and environment that Guardians / Juggernauts need to use this escape in, that one second can mean death. Add on top of that the fact that their only escape isn't usable when rooted. It's true that Guardians / Juggernauts have Guardian Leap / Intercede on a shorter cool down than other classes' escapes, but its limitations are very pronounced at high levels of play.

Question 1: Would the developers consider improving Guardian / Juggernaut survivability by giving Focus / Rage a short cool down mitigation defensive or by making Guardian Leap / Intercede easier to use under pressure?

We actually feel that Guardian/Juggernaut survivability is a bit too good right now. In fact, we are currently planning to reduce the duration of Focused/Enraged Defense down to 10 seconds (currently, 30 seconds) in the 2.8 update. Even though Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts are intentionally designed to have less survivability than Vigilance/Vengeance Guardians/Juggernauts – sacrificing that survivability for greater mobility (Zealous Leap/Obliterate) and control (Force Exhaustion/Crush) – this survivability gap may be too large. We might consider further improvements to Focus/Rage mobility via Guardian Leap/Intercede. While the community’s question talks about Guardian Leap/Intercede being an escape tool (and wishes for it to be improved in that manner), it is actually designed to be a defensive tool that can be used to help your allies survive (rather than keep the Guardian/Juggernaut alive).

However, knowing both the community’s desire for a better Guardian Leap/Intercede and the belief that the Focus/Rage Guardian’s/Juggernaut’s defensive capabilities are not competitive, what if we were to improve Guardian Leap/Intercede for Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts? High in their skill tree, we could allow them to use Guardian Leap/Intercede while immobilized (removing the immobilize effect in the process), and maybe even give them a short boost to their defensive capabilities for a few seconds after using Guardian Leap/Intercede. This would effectively keep Guardian Leap/Intercede a group protection tool for the other two Guardian/Juggernaut skill trees, while allowing it to be used as an escape, mobility-aid, or ally protection tool for Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts. Please let us know your opinions regarding this possible addition to the Focus/Rage skill tree.

2. Single Target Damage of the Focus / Rage Specialization

Focus / Rage has been one of the lowest parsing damage dealing specializations for a long time now. This was always explained away due to the AoE nature of the specialization. However, the upcoming changes to in 2.7 are transitioning Focus / Rage from the only AoE burst specialization in the game to a single target burst specialization in PVP. There are a few problems with 2.7's implementation. First is the dependency on an AoE ability for the main single target burst ability. Second, the sustained single target damage is far below other damage dealing specializations, including other burst specializations. Third, Guardians / Juggernauts that are using the Focus / Rage specialization are almost always seen as inferior than their Sentinel / Marauder counterparts.

Force Sweep / Smash being the primary single target burst ability proves problematic in both PVP and PVE situations. There are situations in PVE where certain NPCs will be lifted, sliced, or have some other form of soft crowd control applied to them. This sometimes forces delays on the specialization's main source of damage. This not only delays burst, but it delays the Heightened Power / Cascading Power buff to empower further attacks. Similar situations are faced in PVP. It is quite common in PVP to use soft crowd control when setting up group burst, with similar results as the PVE situation. Another major problem with relying on an AoE attack for single target damage is the fact that there are multiple specializations that have AoE damage reducing talents. These are usually specializations that have strong defensive capabilities outside of passive AoE damage reduction. Thus, said specializations can quite easily absorb the burst of Focus / Rage.

As mentioned before, the sustained damage of Focus / Rage has been much lower than most other single target burst damage dealing specializations. The only specialization that doesn't parse higher at the moment is Infiltration / Deception, which has its own issues. Now, it was mentioned in the recent Marauder questions that the developers feel that Focus / Rage should be a burst leader. While it is true that Focus / Rage has decent, consistent burst, it neither has as high of burst as some other burst damage dealing specializations nor the sustained damage. Now, I understand that Focus / Rage isn't meant to be a sustained damage leader, but currently the gap is way too large.

The final issue is a bit more complex. There are a variety of issues surrounding why groups generally prefer Sentinel / Marauder versions of Focus / Rage. In PVE, the biggest issue is that Sentinels / Marauders, in general, provide more group buffs and utility. In PVP, the biggest issue is that Sentinels / Marauders, in general, can survive focused attacks from multiple opponents better than a Focus Guardian / Rage Juggernaut can. Additionally, Sentinels / Marauders are also able to do more damage, which affects PVE and PVP. All of these issues add up to Focus Guardians and Rage Juggernauts not being desirable in both endgame PVE and PVP content.

Question 2: Do the developers have plans to increase the single target sustained damage of Focus Guardians / Rage Juggernauts and provide additional tools to make them more desirable for endgame PVE and PVP content?

Yes, we do have plans to increase the single-target, sustained damage output for Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts. However, the final result will be less sustained damage than Vigilance/Vengeance, because Focus/Rage is intended to be better area and burst damage than Vigilance/Vengeance. Although we do wish to improve the sustained damage output for Focus/Rage, these changes may not happen in the immediate future. Currently, there are some other advanced classes (such as Vanguard/Powertech and Shadow/Assassin) which completely lack competitive, sustained Operation damage, and we would like to address those first.

3. Vigilance / Vengeance Talent Bloat and Lackluster Talents

Vigilance / Vengeance currently has 46 talent points available to spend points on. This is the most skill points that any one specialization possesses. Most other specializations have either 42 to 44 skill points available. Now, this would be fine if it was more of a choice between unique and useful skills. However, that is not the case. Currently, there are several examples of talents that do similar things, or are themselves lackluster and could be combined with other abilities or replaced. Some of them, while lackluster, are still required to make the specialization function properly. An example would be Burning Blade / Draining Scream and Burning Purpose / Eviscerate. These two talents both add very minor damage over time effects that are needed to boost sustained damage a small amount and provide Keening / Destroyer procs. This type of effect would make sense for a 2 point talent, or maybe separate 1 point talents, but not for a total of 4 talent points. That is just one example of many possible options.

I would also like to point out that Preparation / Seething Hatred adds nothing of value to either endgame PVE or PVP. In PVE, once you engage with the operations boss, you are constantly in combat until the the encounter is over. Likewise, in ranked arena warzones, you are constantly engaged with the opposing team until the end of the round. The only major exception to this is a very situational 1v1 to end an arena versus a stealth class that uses their in combat stealth.

Question 3: Do the developers have any plans to merge or replace similar or lackluster talents to reduce the Vigilance / Vengeance talent tree bloat?

We are aware that Vigilance/Vengeance has 46 available skill points, and we will look into reducing the total number of skill points that can be spent there. It is likely that we can bring it down to 44, but 42 might be a stretch. We would most likely roll Debilitation/Overwhelm into Zen Strike/Rampage, but we might consider doing something else. It is unlikely that we would combine two skills that increase damage, like Burning Blade/Draining Scream and Burning Purpose/Eviscerate. Feel free to make other suggestions regarding which skills you might like to see combined or which skills you would not mind seeing removed from the game.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear the damage requirement to kill a guardian is going to be lowered slightly by reducing the duration of H2F.

Stun, CC, oh it's still healing with up to over 3k a tick for all those 10 charges after all that, well, nuts...

Question 2 got wasted, same answer as previous class damage requests, if you're not a vanguard/shadow its not important and if you are then you already know its coming.

Edited by Gyronamics

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. Although I wish there was more elaboration on question 2, I am mostly satisfied with these answers. Also, I'm glad to hear that Focused Defense is being toned down in the correct manner.

I'm at work right now. I'll give a more detailed response and suggestions later.

Combine Accuracy + Single Saber Mastery.

That should cut out the bloat enough.

For Marauders/Sentinels, you could combine Steadfast (Accuracy) + Dual Wield Mastery or if that's considered too "op" combine Steadfast (Accuracy) + Defensive Forms

Either way, Juggernauts/Guardians are the only class in the game that do not have their 3pt accuracy tree talent OR their mainstat increase talent available on the first row. At least combining the accuracy+single saber mastery would help significantly.

What about the guardian tank survivability in pvp? I understand class reps here do not care about tanking but Bioware please consider tanks when you talk about guardian survivability in pvp. Defence is useless, focused defense does not benefit tanks as much it does dps. You may also be thinking no one is playing pure guardian tank anyway, so why bother.....

I feel like some of these answers were left quite open and even engaging to the community. Is the Guardian / Jugg community satisfied with that?

What about the guardian tank survivability in pvp? I understand class reps here do not care about tanking but Bioware please consider tanks when you talk about guardian survivability in pvp. Defence is useless, focused defense does not benefit tanks as much it does dps. You may also be thinking no one is playing pure guardian tank anyway, so why bother.....

It's been said that all tank specializations are being looked at for increased viability in PvP.

Edited by Xinika

I feel like some of these answers were left quite open and even engaging to the community. Is the Guardian / Jugg community satisfied with that?

Thats 2 class questions they wasted " we can't do anything about that right now shadows/vanguards are our focus"

Which is great they need looking at. But still can't help but feel mercs and juggs got cheated out of a answer.

Thats 2 class questions they wasted " we can't do anything about that right now shadows/vanguards are our focus"

Which is great they need looking at. But still can't help but feel mercs and juggs got cheated out of a answer.

I can understand that, even though my class desperately needs help in the respective departments discussed.

We actually feel that Guardian/Juggernaut survivability is a bit too good right now.

Being part of that small population that doesn't (actively) play one in PvP, I completely agree. As far as 1v1 goes, Jugg/Guardian essentially has double the HP of every other class (or something close to it).

Currently, there are some other advanced classes (such as Vanguard/Powertech and Shadow/Assassin) which completely lack competitive, sustained Operation damage, and we would like to address those first.

Wait, what? You what? Acknowledged -- what? Faith = restored (somewhat)

It is likely that we can bring it down to 44, but 42 might be a stretch.

I can agree with that, most are around 44ish anyways.

Combine Accuracy + Single Saber Mastery.

That should cut out the bloat enough.

For Marauders/Sentinels, you could combine Steadfast (Accuracy) + Dual Wield Mastery or if that's considered too "op" combine Steadfast (Accuracy) + Defensive Forms

Either way, Juggernauts/Guardians are the only class in the game that do not have their 3pt accuracy tree talent OR their mainstat increase talent available on the first row. At least combining the accuracy+single saber mastery would help significantly.

I second this.

Also the intercede change for focus is wasted i fear. No real reason to play focus/rage in pvp from my understanding

I normally tell people they are wrong when something like this is said, but Bioware nerfed Focus in a way that was needed pre Vigilance proc/root buff. Right now they made my spec (Vigilance) way too powerful and easy to use, Focus just feels bad right now and even harder to use compared to Vigilance :eek:

Talent bloat, merge accuracy and single saber mastery, problem solved.

However, knowing both the community’s desire for a better Guardian Leap/Intercede and the belief that the Focus/Rage Guardian’s/Juggernaut’s defensive capabilities are not competitive, what if we were to improve Guardian Leap/Intercede for Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts? High in their skill tree, we could allow them to use Guardian Leap/Intercede while immobilized (removing the immobilize effect in the process), and maybe even give them a short boost to their defensive capabilities for a few seconds after using Guardian Leap/Intercede. This would effectively keep Guardian Leap/Intercede a group protection tool for the other two Guardian/Juggernaut skill trees, while allowing it to be used as an escape, mobility-aid, or ally protection tool for Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggernauts. Please let us know your opinions regarding this possible addition to the Focus/Rage skill tree.

Being able to use Guardian Leap while rooted would be nice, but if you are under fire and can't break LOS for whatever reason you are still dead. I would say adding a talent that reduces the cooldown of Saber Ward 10/20secs every time Guardian Leap is used, but maybe then we would find people using Gleap just to keep the other cooldown ready to use. Maybe a damage reduction or increased defense chance (20% on any or both?) for 2 seconds could make for a nice change, very high up the tree of course.

Edited by DresG

that enraged defense nerf is way too big imo. 15 sec I'd say is fair but 10 is just too much. granted I didn't think the nerf was necessary to begin as there's nothing wrong I thought having some survivability. I think the change made us finally feel like our class. for the sake of pvp I could maybe see the need for it (but personally never heard many complaints) but in terms of pve I didn't see the issue.

Combining 6% Strength boost with the 3% Accuracy buff would be great, and would also end the uncertainty for full Immortal builds where there is no consensus on which is better. Thematically, merging the Blade Storm and Overhead Slash DoTs would make sense.

Stop with the insults. Vigilance is in a great position right now, and will still be in a great position after the FD nerf. The nerf won't take away from ranked effectiveness AT ALL. You use it in ranked when under focus fire. All the heals will more than likely go off. This is coming from someone who has been playing Guardian/Juggernaut in group ranked a LOT since 2.7.

Also, shadows and sins do need help. More so on the PVE side of things, but there are still issues in PVP as well. Yes, they're great 1v1, but have a hard time synergizing with other classes in a group environment, which is why you don't see many in group ranked as a DPS role.

15 seconds would be better, I'd rather we not get nerfed at all, but if we did, I'd prefer it to be 15 seconds. That being said I doubt the change will be that much of a problem, we'll still be competitive and viable against focus fire. In regs, long drawn out engagements will definitely see us with a nerf in terms of popping all the heals, as on live sometimes you don't see all the stacks spent, but most of FD usually ends up as overheal in those situations.

I think merging Debilitation and Zen Strike would be good. Merging the dots could have some leveling side effects. Merging Single Saber Mastery and accuracy has some unintended side effects of increasing Jugg Tank survivability even more, albeit by a marginal amount, and I'm not sure tank side needs that, it's already too far ahead of the pack in PVE, and in PVP the change wouldn't be noticed anyway.

Edited by GrandLordMenace

15 seconds would be better, I'd rather we not get nerfed at all, but if we did, I'd prefer it to be 15 seconds.

I think merging Debilitation and Zen Strike would be good. Merging Single Saber Mastery and accuracy has some unintended side effects of increasing Jugg Tank survivability even more, albeit by a marginal amount.

Debilitation/Zen Strike merge makes sense to me but so did merging Burning Blade and Burning Purpose but am surprised that they are against the latter.

It sucks but I knew the nerfbat was coming. There has just been so much ************ and complaining since we stopped being "free kills" to stealth and ranged classes I knew something was coming.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Stop with the insults. Vigilance is in a great position right now, and will still be in a great position after the FD nerf. The nerf won't take away from ranked effectiveness AT ALL. You use it in ranked when under focus fire. All the heals will more than likely go off. This is coming from someone who has been playing Guardian/Juggernaut in group ranked a LOT since 2.7.

ive rolled vengeance since day 1 both pve and pvp and thanks to the new ED it made juggs more viable in both. we now have a good sustain damage output (new ravage and ED combined) and has finally made juggs a real threat. 10 window nothing in terms of survivability. the point of it was to give u something to keep us up while we are rooted in place to use the core ability of our spec (ravage). this new change is due mostly to (ranked) pvp content I suspect which is really fair to model a class change around. in normal pvp its not a huge issue since u can receive trauma thus decreasing the overall usefulness of the ability greatly. ppl aren't fond of changing the meta which is wat I think most the complaints come from now. u just need to switch target priority. 15-20 secs for the new ED I think is reasonable but seeing as juggs are usefully focused down as is I def think 10 is way to short. aside from that I doubt juggs (vengeance and immortal) will ever have to be touched until the lvl cap increase. they are in a good place so lets not destroy it again. it took us long enough just to get to this point.

Edited by DarthAeonis

^^This. The rep obviously doesn't care about tanking, but many of us do. In both PvP and PvE, please do not nerf tanks.

^^This. The rep obviously doesn't care about tanking, but many of us do. In both PvP and PvE, please do not nerf tanks.

Specifically for PvP:

Although “hard crowd control” (stun and incapacitate effects) is a large component of playing a tank in PvP, we do not believe it is the only deciding factor. Certainly your example highlights that Powertechs/Vanguards have less crowd control over time than their tank counterparts, yet we do not believe this directly correlates to their overall power in PvP. In order to help express why we have this philosophy we want to show you the current win rates for all tank specializations. This data has been gathered over thousands of Warzone Arena matches since the launch of Game Update 2.6 in both solo and group ranked queue.

Powertech/Vanguard – 51.17%

Juggernaut/Guardian – 50.49%

Assassin/Shadow – 47.90%

If you look at the data you can see that the win rates of each tank are actually directly inverse to the amount of hard crowd control the class has. With this in mind we don’t necessarily believe that increasing or reducing a classes crowd control is the correct course of action to take at this time.

However, with that being said, we do have concerns about tanks in PvP. Players tend to feel that they are not as valuable as a pure DPS class or in some cases, even a hybrid tank/DPS. We are looking at ways to increase viability for all tanks in PvP. We don’t have specifics to announce at this moment but it is definitely something on our radar. In fact, this is definitely something we would love to see your feedback on. What could change, or be improved upon to increase desirability of pure tanks in PvP?

Source

Not really. This is the first time Bioware has specifically said that they want to increase the sustained DPS of focus. Given the changes to the spec in PvP and the general undesirability in PvE (for both guardians and sentinels), it's about time. :-)

As for the intercede/guardian leap change, I think that sounds like a really neat idea. The fact that guardian leap is on the GCD will narrow its use to specific situations. The problem I see with this is that it won't really be useful in PvE. Guardian Leap is already barely touched in PvE for the DPS specs. The mobility requirements are much lower than PvP and the penalty for wasting a GCD is extremely high (see also: sage/sorc survivability tools). If the intent is to buff Focus/Rage's survivability primarily in PvP without having a substantial effect in PvE, then this change would work fairly well. Otherwise, something else needs to be considered.

Debilitation/Zen Strike merge makes sense to me but so did merging Burning Blade and Burning Purpose but am surprised that they are against the latter.

I'm not. It effects the flow of the tree first of all, and forces you to pick useless talents at least in PVE. In PVP it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

@ Devs I think we don't want any talents removed from the game itself rather just have the talents more streamlined as a QOL thing. It's highly irritating at least for me, when you disable respeccing while qued for a warzone (I understand why) but players have PVE and PVP specs and when spechopping, can be quite irritating. If you merged some talents down, you give options for specs to have more utility talents and ancillary talents to cut down on said irritation.

Just a thought :D

I'm not. It effects the flow of the tree first of all, and forces you to pick useless talents at least in PVE. In PVP it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

@ Devs I think we don't want any talents removed from the game itself rather just have the talents more streamlined as a QOL thing. It's highly irritating at least for me, when you disable respeccing while qued for a warzone (I understand why) but players have PVE and PVP specs and when spechopping, can be quite irritating. If you merged some talents down, you give options for specs to have more utility talents and ancillary talents to cut down on said irritation.

Just a thought :D

I don't think it would be that difficult to move things around to keep them streamlined. It is a moot point though because I'm just as happy with debalitation getting moved to zen strike, one less thing for me to change when I respec between PVE/PVP builds.