Taking Screenshots?

Allyhoo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you take ingame screenshots?

Sorry for asking, but with search disabled and a google search fruitless I thought I'd ask.

Just a guess, as I didn't attempt taking any during beta -- have you tried good old Print Screen? Tap that and check in the file for a Screenshots folder?

The default keymapping has the "Print Screen" button take screenshots, and they're stored in your "My Documents" under the folder "Star Wars - The Old Republic\Screenshots".

Some times Print Screen works, other times it doesn't. I've taken quite a few screenshots, but they don't always save.

Remapping solved the problem.

Some times Print Screen works, other times it doesn't. I've taken quite a few screenshots, but they don't always save.

Remapping solved the problem.

How does one go about remapping?

I also seem to have a problem when screenshots show up in folder, they are completely black. No image at all. Anyway to fix that?

Hey guys,

There's 3 different ways to take an in-game snapshot. First of which is to press the Prnt Scrn button on your keyboard (located above Insert, right next to the Backspace button).

The other way you can take a screenshot is with the in-game item called the Holocamera. This was provided to anyone who pre-ordered the Deluxe Digital version of the game or the Collectors Edition. If you have purchased one of these versions and do not have it, please register your pre-order code here.

You can alternatively install 3rd party software (like Fraps) onto your computer, which allows you to bind a hotkey to take screenshots.

Hope this helps answer some questions and clear up any confusion!

Regards,

Tenneth

Edited by Tenneth

I'm unable to get any screenshots at all. I've tried remapping the key and used the holocam, but the game isn't even creating the folder. There is no swtor nor screenshots folder anywhere in my documents, also searched through all image files - nothing. Print screen pasted to paint is black screen. I participated in beta and this didn't work then either, thought it would work in retail client but no. Tried re-installation too from the CE box disks - no change. What do I need to do? I'd rather not use a third party program for this, I want to be able to use the holocam I have.

Good to know. Is there a way to remap it to a different folder? I have my drive partitioned and it is saving it to a partition used solely for the OS.

If you don't want to save any data besides OS on the partition, the My Documents folder shouldn't be on there after all. Almost every game uses this to save user-specific data. You can simply remap it by navigationg to the "real" folder (C:\Users\xxxyouUserXXX\), right klick "My Documents" and set a new dir on the Path tab (You will then be asked to move all files to the new location).

No progress yet, other than that changing from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen made me able to past images captured with print screen to paint and save manually. Holocam still doesn't work, game is not creating the screenshot folder to user folder.

Anyone else with this issue?

If you press print screen and then when you exit the program you can open PAINT and click EDIT then PASTE, then save the image and it will save a screen shot as well. I wish there was a way to turn the hud off before taking a screen shot.

• 2 weeks later...
If you press print screen and then when you exit the program you can open PAINT and click EDIT then PASTE, then save the image and it will save a screen shot as well. I wish there was a way to turn the hud off before taking a screen shot.

Control + U will get rid of HUD

• 3 weeks later...

Alt-Z toggles the HUD on and off. Very quick, no CPU churn, etc.

Ctrl-U is different, it does a HUD reset. This fixes things when the mouse stops working and other such things.

And no, I am not able to make any screenshots either. The game pauses a moment when press the button, but no files appear anywhere on disk.

Most ingame screenshots work for me, however I have little success taking screenshots during cutscenes. I press the buttons assigned to screenshots but most of the time they arent saved. I have some screenies taken during cutscenes so I know its possible, but most of the time it doesn't work.

I just found all of my screen shots in the administrative account on the machine (rather than in my personal account), in the C:\USERS\*name*\My Documents\Star Wars - The Old Republic\Screenshots directory.

If you run your machine from an account with no administrator privileges, you are probably prompted by the launcher to enter the password for an account with administrative privileges. Look in that account for the screen shots.

I hope this helps some of you find your missing screenshots.

You might want to try using Gadwin Print Screen, which is a freeware application that will either capture your entire screen or your current window. You can save the captured image in a number of different file formats into a directory of your choice, using a filename pattern of your choice, using a hot key of your choice . The current free version is Gadwin PrintScreen 4.6

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

Gadwin PrintScreen works a lot faster than the in-game image capture function. And you can save in lossless TIF or PNG format if you so desire. (Also supports GIF, BMP & JPG)