New Crafting Mats tab is underwhelming

HoloTweed

I was surprised to find all of my mats exactly where I left them before 6.0. I was under the impression that they would be automatically moved from all the places I have them into the new vault.

But no. You have to do it MANUALLY. You have to pull the mats from whatever bank they're stored into a character's inventory one by one. THEN you can have them swept into the Mats Vault.

But wait - IT GETS WORSE.

Yes, mats are listed under crafting type... but you have no option how to display them. Instead of the natural way, by Level and Rarity, they are instead... displayed ALPHABETICALLY. So if you want to know how many you have of the Level 8 blue mat, you better remember what it's called.

Why was there not AT LEAST the option to change how mats are displayed? (If there is, it's certainly nowhere obvious.) Outside of getting these things out of the various storage areas (which will take at least an hour over 40 alts), this doesn't really seem like an improvement at all.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to find all of my mats exactly where I left them before 6.0. I was under the impression that they would be automatically moved from all the places I have them into the new vault.

But no. You have to do it MANUALLY. You have to pull the mats from whatever bank they're stored into a character's inventory one by one. THEN you can have them swept into the Mats Vault.

Yes, mats are listed under crafting type... but you have no option how to display them. Instead of the natural way, by Level and Rarity, they are instead... displayed ALPHABETICALLY. So if you want to know how many you have of the Level 8 blue mat, you better remember what it's called.

Why was there not AT LEAST the option to change how mats are displayed? (If there is, it's certainly nowhere obvious.) Outside of getting these things out of the various storage areas (which will take at least an hour over 40 alts), this doesn't really seem like an improvement at all.

This overhaul was overdue and done well. I love the way it's implemented. Much much closer to how Everquest 2 does their harvest boxes. New items you get will go directly in the vault rather than personal inventory.

Edited by xordevoreaux

This overhaul was overdue and done well. I love the way it's implemented. Much much closer to how Everquest 2 does their harvest boxes. New items you get will go directly in the vault rather than personal inventory.

But it's NOT done well. Otherwise we would be able to select how our mats are displayed. It was half-done.

Edited by HoloTweed

I agree it is half-assed.

I just harvested a node and got no announcement in my chat display. I have no idea if I even got anything.

Edit: I opened the materials inventory when I harvested, and the materials were placed in there, but some feedback in chat would be nice lol.

There is also a move all crafting materials to material storage button on the top left of inventory screen now.

Edited by AlorAlak

But it's NOT done well. Otherwise we would be able to select how our mats are displayed. It was half-done.

It was done well. Just not done to how you would have done it. Some will agree, some won't. Simple as personal preference nothing more.

Submit a suggestion in the suggestion box and move on.

It was done well. Just not done to how you would have done it. Some will agree, some won't. Simple as personal preference nothing more.

Submit a suggestion in the suggestion box and move on.

Except it was NOT done well. It wasn't thought through. It's half-baked. There isn't even personal preference involved... the clunky way that mats are put in the tab and the complete lack of display options makes the new Mats Tab underwhelming and badly implemented. Glad you are satisfied with a "Less Than" result. So YOU can move on, but those not satisfied with the result will make that point known.

Except it was NOT done well. It wasn't thought through. It's half-baked. There isn't even personal preference involved... the clunky way that mats are put in the tab and the complete lack of display options makes the new Mats Tab underwhelming and badly implemented. Glad you are satisfied with a "Less Than" result. So YOU can move on, but those not satisfied with the result will make that point known.

It was done well.

This is incorrect. You can move stacks of mats directly from your Inventory, or from your Cargo Bay, or from Legacy Storage, simply by right clicking on the stacks, with the mat tab open** - I've done all 3. They go directly into the mat storage without needing to go through your inventory.

While somewhat correct, it's not really a big deal. When you go to craft something, the crafting window will, just as before, show you what mats you need and how many you have to craft with.

** Edit - A minor edit - you do have to have the Materials tab "open" to directly put stuff in there by right-clicking. Open the mat tab by clicking on the "diamond" at the left of your Inventory pane.

EDIT #2 - You also have to have "Enable Movable Secondary Window" checked in Interface Editor, to be able to have the Mats tab open while your inventory and Cargo Bay or Legacy Storage is open. Of course, everyone should have that checked on already. :)

Edit #3 - I just noticed there's a "move all mats" button at the top left of the Inventory window, but I've already moved them all, so I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by JediQuaker

LOL. "I know you are, but what am I?" It clearly wasn't well done, it was half done. Isn't it a little early for blind White Knighting?

Not too early to poke fun at the person who wanted the devs to move all their stuff for them.

You want them to do your laundry and walk your dog too?

It was done well. It's iteration 1.0. I'm sure as time goes on, they can improve on it and make it better. But as a starting point, a legacy crafting tab that doesn't take up slots in my cargo hold is a thing of beauty, and I have about 4 1/2 tabs I'll be able to clear out once I get home to play. And I know what its like because I tested on PTS.

It was done well.:rak_03:

Not too early to poke fun at the person who wanted the devs to move all their stuff for them.

You want them to do your laundry and walk your dog too?

It was done well. It's iteration 1.0. I'm sure as time goes on, they can improve on it and make it better. But as a starting point, a legacy crafting tab that doesn't take up slots in my cargo hold is a thing of beauty, and I have about 4 1/2 tabs I'll be able to clear out once I get home to play. And I know what its like because I tested on PTS.

It was done well.:rak_03:

You being snarky and repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. In fact, it makes your stance even weaker. But hey, keep acting the Hutt.

I too would like different options on how the materials are sorted in their categories. Also I would like the tabs I have closed down to not spring open when I put materials in one of the other tabs. Minor concerns most likely but improvements I would like to see in the future.

That said my groaning Legacy bank is feeling much better now that all those resources are located elsewhere.

Honestly, I was half way expecting it to all be moved over automatically, at least the stuff in legacy storage. But oh well – it took all of 5 minutes to transfer everything over.

As for how they are displayed – I suppose sorting options would be nice, but really, I never look to see how many I have of a mat until I go to craft something, and then the crafting menu will show me how many I have/how many I need. So, /shrug.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my suddenly expansive storage space.

Oh no! The poor guy is too lazy too deposit his mats himself.

The humanity! How are we ever gonna get over this! :rolleyes:

Maybe you would prefer to go to the back to the old system if this one is so bad?

Honestly, this is a petty complain. Get over it.

Edited by Nemmar

To the folks that want more storage, it was going to be awesome almost no matter what Bioware did as long as they gave them a separate area to place the materials.

For me, it's ok. It's good for more storage. It needs sorting options. I don't want to have to scroll down a huge list to find the materials I have too much of and should sell off, or too few without looking at the the crafting tab.

It will take some getting used to. Maybe in the future they could offer sorting options. Not the best implementation, not the worst.

Again, for those that simply want more storage, it was great before they even created it. :D

I'm going to be a nay sayer here. It wasn't done well at all. It's contrived and confusing, especially for someone like me who has OCD. My brain can't see any usable organization to it. It's as though they just put a box out for stuff to be dumped into any old way. I had anticipated to see it like this:

1) It would be a storage item set up exactly like a Cargo Hold or Legacy Storage, with tabs at the bottom for each crafting discipline clearly labeled: Artifice, Armstech, Armormech, etc.

2) As you gathered for any of the disciplines the mats would automatically be sent to the proper tab upon accepting the reward.

3) The tabs would be user friendly to allow you to set up the mats inside of it in an order that works for YOU.

4) Items received from Companion missions for Underworld, Investigation, Slicing, Diplomacy, etc, would automatically go into the tab for the discipline it was set up for. Since a few of the crafting disciplines use some of the same items, you could arrange which tab you want it to go to. Again it would be user friendly to allow for self customization.

5) The storage facility would be the same size as a fully unlocked Cargo or Legacy hold with six tabs, 80 slots per tab.

THIS is what I expected, what I had envisioned, not an empty junk box. I do not intend to use it. I'll just purchase an additional tab for my Cargo and Legacy Holds and keep my brain happy with my current organization. Sorry people, but I had expected so much better than what we got.

Edited by LadyRoyalport

I would like a “collapse all”/“expand all” toggle button to close all the category trees.

I think just having the interface is a big step. I had the mat window open, and it stored everything as I right clicked on each stack in cargo and legacy, it was a little bit of work but not terrible.

I wouldn’t mind sorting options.

Yeah, its as awful and out-dated as the baseline ESO Inventory Tab.

There's no excuse for the laziness, lack of effort, and cheapness that went into this.

I'll be leaving ALL my mats right where they are, because at least that is functional.

All The Best

I like the new mats window, it doesn't feel clunky at all to me. That's literally a personal preference.

Did you test the expansion on the PTS? If yes, then why didn't you comment on this during play testing? If no, then why didn't you test? They implemented TONS of feedback from PTS testing, they really do listen to the players.

It's hard to empathize with someone when that person is telling the people that disagree with them that their opinion is irrelevant. You didn't even do it to just one person, but three separate people.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU