Power rating (cap) in flashpoint

I was curious about this cap on power all the guides mention on scaled-down content and wondered what the actual cap was. So i ran into Hammer station and started un-equipping all my gear and weapons and noticed that even when i had nothing equipped my power rating was still over 3.000 on my lightning sorc.

Does that mean that you just have a fixed amount of power and not even a single point of power on a mod or gear matters? Or how does that work?

I was curious about this cap on power all the guides mention on scaled-down content and wondered what the actual cap was. So i ran into Hammer station and started un-equipping all my gear and weapons and noticed that even when i had nothing equipped my power rating was still over 3.000 on my lightning sorc.

Does that mean that you just have a fixed amount of power and not even a single point of power on a mod or gear matters? Or how does that work?

Essentially, you're right(1). The same applies to Mastery, Endurance and Health once you raise them above their respective caps. However, your other stats operate at full whack no matter how far down you are synced.

Well, except that I just tested with a level 75 Gunnery Commando in her class ship, and she had zero power with no gear at all equipped. (No armour, no weapon, no generator, no implants, no relics and no earpiece...)

(1) Except that it applies in all level-synced content, in and out of Flashpoints.

Well, except that I just tested with a level 75 Gunnery Commando in her class ship, and she had zero power with no gear at all equipped. (No armour, no weapon, no generator, no implants, no relics and no earpiece...)

But that is what confuses me.. In my stronghold, lvl 75, nothing equipped, my power rating is zero. In Hammer station, scaled down to 70, nothing equipped my power rating is ~3.300.

But that is what confuses me.. In my stronghold, lvl 75, nothing equipped, my power rating is zero. In Hammer station, scaled down to 70, nothing equipped my power rating is ~3.300.

I'd guess it's an oddity of the level sync system. The specific number you're capped to does vary with increasing Item Rating (as shown in your Character panel, top left), I think, because for every two points above 268 you get a stack of "Veteran's Edge" which says it has an effect like that.

The thing is that people think the level scaling system is capping their stats. That is not true. It sets your stats to some values.

I have tested it several times to prove this to people, easiest to understand test was to get on a class that can both tank and dps like juggernaut for example, take one set of unaugmented 306 dps gear with no set bonuses (the unmoddable stuff that drops often) and then similar 306 set of tank gear (again no set, just basic unmoddable items) with corresponding 5 dps or tank left side items - it does not matter which ones. When you equip them on the fleet or personal starship or stronghold, you will notice that in tank gear you have exactly 0 power, while in dps gear you should have several thousand of it.

Then take both sets with you to a scaled content (in other words, run into some vet mode flashpoint on fleet) with a dps spec (in my case vengeance juggernaut) and note that power is some number like 3.5k (I don't remember exact number). Then switch all of your items for tank gear that should give 0 power, and look at the screen again - and yep, the power is still 3.5k, exactly same as before, because the number is only dependant on your scaling governed by Veteran's Edge buff.

Leave the instance (imporant part), switch to the tank spec (in my case Immortal juggernaut) and keep the tank gear you already have on you. Check that on fleet you still have the 0 power, port back into FP and... you will have like 2k power out of nowhere (or more precisely from Veteran|s Edge buff).

Bonus point: if you change between tank and dps spec in the FP or OPS and not leave the instance, you will keep the stat distribution of the previous spec. In other words, if you come in as a tank and switch to dps, you will still have 20k more health and about 1.5k power less than a dps spec. If you come in as a dps and switch to tank, you will have about 20k less hp but about 1.5k more power.

As people pointed before, this applies only to Mastery, Endurance and Power. So if you find running scaled FPs and/or opses a lot, you can consider making a different set with different stat distribution for it - maximize tertiary stats and +defense mods, as tertiary stats and defense are not capped, you get all the power from Veteran's Edge. I even have a healer set full of defense mods, because why not? It also means you do not need some specific armorings, as the endurance and mastery comes from Veteran's Edge too, so I just used any 306 ones with good amplifiers and saved a lot on rerolls this way. But do not try to use such a set in unscaled content, be it Dxun or PvP - it would be bad, really bad :D

Edited by Sandrosw

The thing is that people think the level scaling system is capping their stats. That is not true. It sets your stats to some values.

It's *possible* that people think that because it *changed* between 5.X and 6.X. I know that Mastery *was* capped because the +XP armour set didn't have enough Mastery on the armorings(1) to reach the cap on e.g. Voss and after, if you were sufficiently high level and used just Fleet-vendor green mods/enhancements (plus barrel/hilt as necessary).

Or that people never did the necessary analysis before 6.0.

Or there's a bug.

Or all three.

(1) They were a mix of +Mastery/+Endurance and +Presence/+Endurance.

It could be changed from before, as before we never had Veteran's Edge buff :confused:

Or it could be that people did not really needed to analyze this too much, as almost all group content was unscaled, so there was no need.

I just wanted to post how it behaves now, because plenty of people still think that stats are capped, which makes them suggest gear that is not actually needed - like having Lethal mods on tank in non-Dxun OPS will make him have less defense and gives no gain on power stat, since the power comes from Veteran's Edge. Or insisting on using 471/409 armorings for dpses and healers that again will do nothing to Mastery/Endurance when affected by Veteran's Edge - but amplifiers do work, so instead of specific armoring I looked for specific amplifiers and this way I got a full set of gold amplifiers without spending credits on rerolls. But then I got lucky that my set comes from Conquest crates, so I had plenty of items to make a duplicate set for scaled content.

But then, if someone is picky about gear in vet FP or SM ops, it is a person that will not understand this scaling from Veteran's Edge anyway, because they copied a BiS gear setup from somewhere without noticing that it only applies for unscaled content..

Thank you! That was my conclusion as well, but nowhere could i find confirmation of that.

It could be changed from before, as before we never had Veteran's Edge buff :confused:

Or it could be that people did not really needed to analyze this too much, as almost all group content was unscaled, so there was no need.

Just checked something. I'm level 75, IR 283 with 7 stacks of Veteran's Edge, standing on Zakuul (and therefore synced to level 70).

In my character sheet, I'm showing 3929 Power, 7809 Mastery and 8553 Endurance. All these stats are showing *yellow*, meaning that they are below their 'natural' level, which implies they are clipped.

The tooltips?

* Mastery: 1000 base plus 8532 bonus = 9532 total (clipped to 7809)

* Endurance: 900 base plus 11678 bonus = 12578 total (clipped to 8553)

* Power: 0 base plus 5224 bonus = 5224 total (clipped to 3929)

Health is 126068 "live" made up of:

* 52295 base

* 124274 bonus (8553 Endurance ==> +11195 and Skills/Buffs ==> +13079)

* 176569 total.

* Clipped to 126068.

So, this confirms a couple of things:

* Health is clipped (to a different value than you'd expect from the character's level/gear/bonuses/Endurance, that is)

* The full set of EMPH stats are still clipped.

And it adds:

* The "From Endurance" part of health is very, very close to exactly 13 points of Health per point of Endurance.

* Specifically, 13.00070151.

* The tiny fraction difference corresponds to *six* extra Health points from I don't know quite where.

I then took off all my gear:

* Mastery 1140 as 1000 base plus 140 bonus from ... somewhere. (50 = 5% from the "Force Valor" class buff?)

* Endurance 993 as 900 base plus 93 bonus including 450 = 5% from the "Fortification" class buff

* Power 3929 as 0 base plus 0 bonus.

There you have it, folks. Zero plus zero is 3929.

Bounce to Fleet. Power is now zero.

Bounce back to Zakuul. Power is back to 3929 with zero stacks of Veteran's Edge.

Back to Fleet. Put gear on, take gear off. Power back to zero.

Bounce back to Zakuul. Power is back to 3929 with zero stacks of Veteran's Edge.

I watched Power as I added gear on Zakuul. It moved exactly not at all. It appears that in level-synced content, your Power is determined as a specific value that is entirely independent of anything you can change. It will be interesting to see if it changes when I rank up my stacks of VE.

Final conclusion, it's significantly more complicated than we thought, and it's more than somewhat confusing.

saying that power endurance and mastery are not capped is misleading...

they are capped... to a value that depends on your spec and ilvl.

everyone told bioware how bad of a design this was but they ignored us... didnt leave enough time to test before 6.0 launch... now we use alacrity, crit relics and adrenals... there is one fp and one op where you can actually play the game the way it is meant to be played...

i gues we should have complained when lvl sync came out and made relics stims and adrenals useless