What’s the latest info on Lightning Sorc?

TrixxieTriss

Thinking of getting mine off the shelf to lvl up next and I’m wondering what the new meta has for them.

What utilities should I be looking for for max dps and survivability?

What’s the deal with the new Volt rush and the best way to use it?

What set bonus and tactical?

And Amps, what should I be looking for?

Lastly, what stats considering the stats pool is much less?

I need to state this will be for regs as my ping is too high to play a Sorc in ranked.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of getting mine off the shelf to lvl up next and I’m wondering what the new meta has for them.

1 What utilities should I be looking for for max dps and survivability?

2 What’s the deal with the new Volt rush and the best way to use it?

3 What set bonus and tactical?

4 And Amps, what should I be looking for?

5 Lastly, what stats considering the stats pool is much less?

I need to state this will be for regs as my ping is too high to play a Sorc in ranked.

1. i dont know them off the top of my head, im not on atm.

2. there is none, it's actual trash. Like, three charges less than a single lightning strike costing 3 gcd's trash

3. Gathering Storm with Stormwatch

4. Force Sensitivity

5. It's pretty easy to get the 1.3 alacrity on sorc and pump up crit.

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

1. i dont know them off the top of my head, im not on atm.

2. there is none, it's actual trash. Like, three charges less than a single lightning strike trash costing 3 gcd's trash

3. Gathering Storm with Stormwatch

4. Force Sensitivity

5. It's pretty easy to get the 1.3 alacrity on sorc and pump up crit.

So should I even bother having Volt rush on my task bar?

We still ignoring accuracy too?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Lightning sorc is in a very good place at the moment pretty much one of the fotms. Gathering storm seems to be the best set bonus for dps. The 4 set gives 20 % more force damage while polarity shift is up and after using force speed, the 6 set gives a increased 10 second duration on polarity shift after using force speed. For tactical s its between stormwatch and elemental convection. storm watch is the best for single target where as elemental connection is better for cleave. (with elemental convection it makes volt rush an aoe and it procs your chain lightning (a second insta cast))

Lastly, what stats considering the stats pool is much less?.

1. Same as before ie 5.10 or close. Really.

2. Volt rush is garbage... keep it somewhere you wont need it.

3. Stormwatch tactical + Gathering storm set bonus for ling sorc. Its new op in making for good players.

4. Anything that says it increases force dmg.

5. No accuracy still. after achieving alacrity (A), pump rest in critical. really.

(A) I am waiting for my betters to calculate a break point that I can achieve myself without help of others. ;)

Thanks heaps guys. It certainly seems that the set bonus is needed because my Sorc is spec’d correctly on stats, but I do no where near the damage I see other lightning Sorcs do.

I will continue to try and build it up. But it’s been hard the last few days because I’m only getting healing set bonus drops or generic set bonuses.

I can’t fully express how F’ING pissed off I am at the healing set bonus drops. I would have a 5 piece lightning set by now if it dropped for the right spec. Must have done 20 flash points :mad:

So far I’ve only got one lightning piece and I had to buy that at the vendor.

(A) I am waiting for my betters to calculate a break point that I can achieve myself without help of others. ;)

3400 is 42/70 crit. you can logicaly assume at that rate, 3700-4k is 45/73 (pushing the 4k mark mostlikely, 42-45 has always burned DR) that being said, 45/73 was last expansion break point for crit, it was also roughly 1850.... which... was the same as alacritys break point.

3400 is 42/70 crit. you can logicaly assume at that rate, 3700-4k is 45/73 (pushing the 4k mark mostlikely, 42-45 has always burned DR) that being said, 45/73 was last expansion break point for crit, it was also roughly 1850.... which... was the same as alacritys break point.

Thanks. I can work with that.

Now if only RNGoddes stop trying to drown me in alacrity related pieces... ;)

Lastly, what stats considering the stats pool is much less?

Hmm, Ling/TK requires high APM. I don't know how well that will work for your APAC ping. Madness/Balance is underrated in regs.

mainly that they didnt suck in 5.0 either, just, they had a bad name. cuz they were underwhelming at launch. Lightning sorcs became more than relevant in 5.10 and remain so, even more now with bolster at max.

Not so much. They still didnt have the burst or ability to kill other classes in a 1v1.

Now they can 1v1 and win, people are QQing they are OP. This has happened everytime Sorcs have been given the ability to 1v1 people. You can go back to launch (if you can find all the posts) and see that with in weeks of a buff, people QQ because they don’t like that a Sorc can now kill them.

Usually Bioware nerf within 4-8 weeks and they nerf the wrong stuff and destroy the class. Then everyone is happy again because Sorcs arent a threat in a 1v1 situations.

Of course Sorcs are doing huge numbers and did decent numbers in 5.10, if the were left alone. The main issue is always total damage out put, not the ability to kill someone. People refuse to look at the bigger picture, why do Sorcs do so much damage?

Most of the time over the years when Sorcs get called OP (except for a few), it’s people not understanding the class and why they are doing those numbers.

1. Bioware keep pushing too much AOE damage onto lightning Sorcs.

2. Bioware keep pushing too much DOT AOE burst on madness Sorcs.

3. People let Sorcs free cast !! This is usually the biggest reason in the past that has allowed Sorcs to do big numbers.

Bioware just need to pick one to be AOE and Dots and Pick one to be Burst.

Why do they both have to be strong in AOE?

Why do they both have to use Dots?

IMO, lighting could definitely lose some of the AOE burst at the moment. That would reduce the total dps out put because they wouldn’t be bursting so many targets at once in their rotation. It’s not needed in Ops, it’s not needed in FPs and it’s definitely not needed in pvp.

Boost their single target dps (if still needed, not sure yet) to compensate for removing AOE burst from the rotation. Remove dots from lighting and make force lightning usable on the move with more damage or add some more single target lightning abilities. They don’t need dots and it’s lazy design to make one refresh as part of the rotation.

I’m not going to comment too much on madness as it’s been too many years since I’ve played it to make any reasonable suggestions. But maybe more instant dot spread and a little less burst might give them the dps output they need for an AOE role in granked and ops.

Of course, there will still be those who QQ because too many people have become complacent of Sorcs over the years and let them free cast AOE spam to do big numbers, which is where a tonne of their dps out put comes from. If people don’t learn that Sorcs are a threat and shut them down, they will always farm high dps numbers (because that’s all most people seem to care about these days, not actual kills).

How are you people actually calling Lightning OP? Sure, they have a bit more DoT (lol) damage which helps them fluff numbers, but they still get absolutely smashed by so many classes. They can't stay in LOS of a Sniper, or they'll get eaten up. They can't kite a Mara/Jugg for long enough to actually make a difference. They might be able to go face to face with a Merc, or kite Sins around for a bit but they could do those even in 5.0. Their strongest attack is on a 10s CD and does what, 40k with the set bonus boost? What am I missing?

Dot damage on lightning should be removed. It’s a stupid set up and lazy design. We should have a better distinction between madness and lightning. Madnesss is the dot spec, lightning should not have dots,

1. Same as before ie 5.10 or close. Really.

2. Volt rush is garbage... keep it somewhere you wont need it.

3. Stormwatch tactical + Gathering storm set bonus for ling sorc. Its new op in making for good players.

4. Anything that says it increases force dmg.

5. No accuracy still. after achieving alacrity (A), pump rest in critical. really.

According to the theorycrafting discord, the breakpoint for critical is at 3,000 rating. After that you want to focus on power over critical rating.

How are you people actually calling Lightning OP? Sure, they have a bit more DoT (lol) damage which helps them fluff numbers, but they still get absolutely smashed by so many classes. They can't stay in LOS of a Sniper, or they'll get eaten up. They can't kite a Mara/Jugg for long enough to actually make a difference. They might be able to go face to face with a Merc, or kite Sins around for a bit but they could do those even in 5.0. Their strongest attack is on a 10s CD and does what, 40k with the set bonus boost? What am I missing?

It's the same people who are OK with the current Sin burst. They say that in theory Lightning is OP but niether of them is actually playing Sorc as they are busy with destroying people on thers Sins. From what I've experienced in SR sorcs are at the same spot as they were. If you let them free-cast and if player is good they can hurt. But they can't do a **** if you focus them even if player is good and die even faster with new OP burst from Sins. Main problem they can't do damage while trying to survive.

3k is lower than 6.0 bolster crit

That's part of the reason why 3k is the magic number you wana aim for, the way that bolster works with our current gear level. If you're an equally competitive individual like myself and actually have an affinity for theorycrafting, I implore you to read this google doc by /u/attentaeter7 on reddit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YtyVboCIj4FtELnhW1h88j8HZ9oBgohZ/view

It breaks down exactly how they got to that number and why, showing all the formula used along the way. If you're also interested in more theorycrafting stuff pm me and I can give you a link to the discord which has a ton of useful resources such as diminishing returns formulas for all stats, optimized min/max targets down to the exact modifications you want to use in your gear and everything.

That's part of the reason why 3k is the magic number you wana aim for, the way that bolster works with our current gear level. If you're an equally competitive individual like myself and actually have an affinity for theorycrafting, I implore you to read this google doc by /u/attentaeter7 on reddit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YtyVboCIj4FtELnhW1h88j8HZ9oBgohZ/view

It breaks down exactly how they got to that number and why, showing all the formula used along the way. If you're also interested in more theorycrafting stuff pm me and I can give you a link to the discord which has a ton of useful resources such as diminishing returns formulas for all stats, optimized min/max targets down to the exact modifications you want to use in your gear and everything.

I don't think this is confirmed by others yet... so i'd take it with a grain of salt, especially the part where he says Mastery > Power. But he's right about the 2800 - 3100 crit range, AFAIK.