A counter to sniper?

Lundorff

I primarily roll with a dps jugg in ranked (:rolleyes: yes I know), and snipers are the bane of my existence. What class is currently the best counter for a decent sniper? Another sniper? Sin? Mara?

Oh and how is you final season ranked level determined? What ever you have the second the season ends, or the highest level you archived during the season?

I primarily roll with a dps jugg in ranked (:rolleyes: yes I know), and snipers are the bane of my existence. What class is currently the best counter for a decent sniper? Another sniper? Sin? Mara?

Oh and how is you final season ranked level determined? What ever you have the second the season ends, or the highest level you archived during the season?

Another sniper is the best counter for sniper because diversion. Top 3 titles go off of end of season ratings, but their tier 1/2/3 stuff is off of your highest earned.

• 7 months later...
Well lets be honest Bioware showed a complete lack of understanding of their classes when they gave a turret class the ability to have what basically amounts to as hydraulic overrides for nearly 30 seconds continuously with certain utilities (seek cover, reestablish range) .

Well lets be honest Bioware showed a complete lack of understanding of their classes when they gave a turret class the ability to have what basically amounts to as hydraulic overrides for nearly 30 seconds continuously with certain utilities (seek cover, reestablish range) .

It's even worse than that, I stun a merc or PT when they pop HO. You can't stun and leap to a sniper unless you've survived 30 seconds of entrench while they're dpsing you + root and knock you back. A vengence jugg doesn't get their most useful feature (stun immunity and dr for leaping) and the rage jugg isn't going to last that long to begin with.

It really is bad class design, like you said.

It's even worse than that, I stun a merc or PT when they pop HO. You can't stun and leap to a sniper unless you've survived 30 seconds of entrench while they're dpsing you + root and knock you back. A vengence jugg doesn't get their most useful feature (stun immunity and dr for leaping) and the rage jugg isn't going to last that long to begin with.

It really is bad class design, like you said.

Yeah I understand why Mercs and Sorcs have good mobility (because they can be leapt to if the don't kite properly) but a sniper can't be leapt to yet can literally outrun every melee class in the game. GG Bioware

It is a complete mystery to me how people can play sniper - especially in ranked. I am probably the single worst sniper in this game :D

Same here. I get beaten so often so much with my Gunslinger that it is utterly nonunderstandable how people break up their heads over the question of "a counter to niper ?"

Maybe you mean those really good snipers you have problems with - but not me or any other casuals.

So - from this point of view, this thread is te ma a simple waste of time,. Ask good sniper players, please, not bad ones like me.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Same here. I get beaten so often so much with my Gunslinger that it is utterly nonunderstandable how people break up their heads over the question of "a counter to niper ?"

Maybe you mean those really good snipers you have problems with - but not me or any other casuals.

So - from this point of view, this thread is te ma a simple waste of time,. Ask good sniper players, please, not bad ones like me.

why are you bad?

Best deterrent or counter to a sniper IMO is a Fury Mara. I hunt snipers down with extreme prejudice.

Sins are detectable before they get close enough which negates their opening attack.

Snipers are a good counter, but I prefer the mara.

It is a complete mystery to me how people can play sniper - especially in ranked. I am probably the single worst sniper in this game :D

To play a sniper really well, even in regs, it is one of the more difficult classes. People who play them in ranked are usually above the normal skill of other ranked players,

Fury mara all the way. Force crush for 6 sec of immunity to their c.c. then bloodwarded saber ward for 12 total seconds of c.c immunity. Obfuscate the first ambush on marksman and immediately on series of shots for engi snipers cause they prob have bombs on you. If getting low against marksman specifically mad dash and force camo can be used to negate 2 more ambush shots. As a fury Mara snipers are the easiest class besides powertech to kill in ranked. As a side note trixie could you hop over to the classes section and see my question about fury gearing? I didn't know you played fury in ranked

why are you bad?

Good question. Maybe it's a subjective thing, but fact is that I lack a lot of defensive manueuvres. For example, I don't instantly "sit down" and pop that utility which makes me unavailable as target for Jedi / Sith jumps. Result : I often melt within a few seconds of their beats. Mostly by marauders.

Second thing I often see is that when I try to get someone from the opposite team down, I fail to do so. Mainly because of healers. Meanwhile I'm not healed myself. My gunslinger almost has full 246 gear - although no augments except a few - so I assume that the failure must be with me, not with my gear.

Edit : Whart I also often see is whole GROUPS of others jumping at me - meanwhile leavibng other classes completely alone.

tl;dr : For my taste, my gunslinger is melting far too fast, bexcause I fail to do essential moves.

As a fury Mara snipers are the easiest class besides powertech to kill in ranked.

Fits relatively well into my own perception. For Vanguards, I just can't tell, my only one is around level 33 and never did any PvP so far.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

My gunslinger almost has full 246 gear - although no augments except a few - so I assume that the failure must be with me, not with my gear.

Augs make a big difference, they really do. And proper stats along with max gears.

After adjusting my gears to what I was told was optimal, I felt like an idiot because everything Hottie and others said about alacrity was 100% spot on. I wasted tons of credits pouring mats into building a stat line that only gimped my performance in PVP because I thought in theory how i played would be impacted better with high mastery. This was dumb haha. I wasted millions of credits on making versatile augs etc.

Anyway, my point is if you really want to taste higher performance put the time in and properly gear your toon. People who say gears don't matter are wrong, it does.

My personal experience was doing average DPS in WZs and that has improved to above average and the only thing I changed was I added alacrity and crit augs to get the most optimal performance with my dps.

I am now re-gearing my healers too, it's expensive and time consuming but what else do we have to do lol. I suggest trying to gear your sniper properly I bet you'd notice some improvement.

I think that Mercs are one of the best counters to snipers. Net will prevent them from rolling especially if they don't have breaker, and best of all Mercs can heal up while DPS'ing while Snipers can't do that (unless you take their utility heals, which are measly compared to Merc off-heals).

Operatives are another great counter. Ops have off-heals and stupidly OP kiting abilities.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques

I think that Mercs are one of the best counters to snipers. Net will prevent them from rolling especially if they don't have breaker, and best of all Mercs can heal up while DPS'ing while Snipers can't do that (unless you take their utility heals, which are measly compared to Merc off-heals).

Operatives are another great counter. Ops have off-heals and stupidly OP kiting abilities.

How are Ops good counters? Off heals and kiting alone don’t make them good killers. Using that reasoning, you could say sorcerers are good against snipers because they have better off heals than Operatives and good kiting.

Operatives have their main attack advantage negated because the snipers can see them in stealth well before they get anywhere near them.

You would have to be a master operative like Snave to have a chance against a good sniper.

Edited by Totemdancer

Good question. Maybe it's a subjective thing, but fact is that I lack a lot of defensive manueuvres. For example, I don't instantly "sit down" and pop that utility which makes me unavailable as target for Jedi / Sith jumps. Result : I often melt within a few seconds of their beats. Mostly by marauders.

Second thing I often see is that when I try to get someone from the opposite team down, I fail to do so. Mainly because of healers. Meanwhile I'm not healed myself. My gunslinger almost has full 246 gear - although no augments except a few - so I assume that the failure must be with me, not with my gear.

Edit : Whart I also often see is whole GROUPS of others jumping at me - meanwhile leavibng other classes completely alone.

tl;dr : For my taste, my gunslinger is melting far too fast, bexcause I fail to do essential moves.

you dont lack defensive maneuvers, you're just failing to use them properly.

As a sniper/GS why wouldn't you crouch into cover immediately when getting within range of the enemy? That's one of your most basic defensive tools. Roll into position if you need to and get used to hunkering down.

You also need to try and stay near the backline of your team, let the tankier classes and melee run up front.

Learn to use diversion when melee are tunneling you.

It really comes down to your reaction time and how to react, there will always be mistakes made but you have to try an minimize them.

one way of countering a sniper is (obviously) another sniper, hit them with diversion and then hard stun them root them or whatever to keep them in it, combine it with and net and the sniper is in a sticky situation.

another way is just a lot of burst, you can't just reflect the damage or vanish away etc as sniper. there are ways of course, roll into spamming seek cover works...as long as you aren't stunned without breaker. If you get some good crits in early on the sniper you should kill it quickly, since the days of pressing ballistic shield + A few other things and healing up a fair amount of health have passed.

How are Ops good counters? Off heals and kiting alone don’t make them good killers. Using that reasoning, you could say sorcerers are good against snipers because they have better off heals than Operatives and good kiting.

Operatives have their main attack advantage negated because the snipers can see them in stealth well before they get anywhere near them.

You would have to be a master operative like Snave to have a chance against a good sniper.

Or you can learn to not approach from directly in front since spotter doesn't work from the side or rear.

You can use evasion and roll immunity to shut down most of a snipers damage.

Use your superior mobility to force the sniper to move out of his shield, if he doesn't just heal to full .

Use your amazing passive healing from hots that synergies so well with your ability to 100% avoid damage, thus allowing you to spend a very minimal amount of gcds and resources to stay healthy unlike sorcs which have to actually spam heals.

Or you could just realize that you are literally the best 1vs1 class in the game and are literally a counter class to sniper in small engagements.

P.S. Sorc vs snipers is actually a decent math-up, sorc will win the 1vs1 if the sorc can los; in team fights sorcs are also decent vs snipers because sniper dcds (evasion/roll specifically) are designed to be strong vs burst and weak vs sustained damage.

Edited by alexsamma