Covid 19

Lhancelot

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who does (still very few cases here (Alberta, Canada)), though I know a couple in quarantine who came back from vacation, just in case. They are getting bored I'm sure. Our prime minister as well (couple weeks out of the spotlight will be good for him I think)

Anxiety seems to be the worst of it really. That and the dam toilet paper pandemic. (seriously, WTH people...)

Silver lining, the restaurant served our food really fast yesterday.

Yes know few who have had it, one death in the local hospital. Not that I knew that individual person. However this really needs to be put into perspective, so far more have died with normal seasonal flu than with this Covid-19. Sure this has the potential of becoming like the H1N1 virus but at present it's not there yet or even anywhere near that level. By all means do all the normal standard medical advice like wash hands, use hand sterilize gel, keep away from high risk people (for there protection) if you have it, but other than that unless you are in the high risk category yourself (like me) there probably no need to worry all that much.

Now I am in that high risk category but not changed much yet myself, still work at the local hospital, still do two days volunteering in a local shop. Still go into town. I think all I have done is brought some extra tinned items for the food cupboard just in case I do get it and need to self isolate. That is just a few extra and not gone overboard. If I do need to self isolate it be a case of buying food from online shopping and telling the shop to leave at end of drive way.

I think a lot of panic by some is due to how this is reported by the media. As I said it needs to be put in perceptive so far worldwide about 5000 or just over have died with it. Around 35 million to 50 million died with the H1N1 virus ( more commonly know as Spanish flu) some even say up to 100 million may have died with the H1N1 virus. Around 2000 die each year with seasonal flu in the UK alone. So around 5000 worldwide is not all that many (at time of posting) Of course that's little to no comfort to anyone who has lost a loved one with it or have it and not trying to trivialize it by any means, but still it does need to be put into some sort of context.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

So far we have 42 cases in our country, no deaths, no cured. It only started this week. We have one local guy with it, but he ended up in a different city hospital cause he came back from abroad. The identities of the people are kept secret probably due to the fact that as we know humans they would blame the person for being sick and endagering the people around them etc.

Basically its as people said, old people and people with health or immunity issues are pretty much done for. Sadly. But younger people have nothing to fear. In the neighbor country they ahe 140 cases and also 0 deaths and 0 cured but till now the normal flu killed 80 people in that contry so.....

Edited by merovejec

The figures I've seen suggest that even for the very oldest people, the death rate *from*Covid* is only a few percent.

I hope this virus just peters out, tbh. Hopefully it comes and goes and 6 months from now it is just a passing memory.

My mother works in healthcare so yes, I am worried.. for her.

And I am also worried for the times after the virus is gone because as things stand now, we will have an economic collapse that will result in people losing their jobs and businesses going bankrupt .

These are some dark times to be alive .

Well, Alberta government just shut down all the schools, probably until fall.

Because I'm in a silver lining mood, I for one won't miss the mouthy brats on the bus...

Of course, they are probably going to be shutting down the public transit soon at this rate. That'll make me grumpy.

The figures I've seen suggest that even for the very oldest people, the death rate *from*Covid* is only a few percent.

It is no big deal, but its spreading, thats the problem. In China even the people that got cured were able to catch the virus again, so that is the most disturbing thing.

Well, now I'm stuck at home without a teleworking laptop because the schedule for providing those fell behind the "closing whatever and stuff" thing, and the management decided to ask people with children and "vulnerable" people to stay away from the office. On Friday it was just going to be the folks with small children, and one of the guys in my team got a telework laptop provided in a hurry.

Then over the weekend, the government (French) raised the bar and the management decided to abandon the 100% telework plan for the people who didn't already have their laptops, and just ask them (including me, because of my Type 1 diabetes(1)) to stay at home and, by implication, not work.

OK, sure, I actually have a laptop at home, but it's *my* laptop (a nice Asus ROG Strix G) and (a) I'm not prepared to provide it for free for work purposes and (b) it's not secured correctly to be allowed to connect to the company network.

Oh well, I have a few things to do in-game, and this gives me some time to do them...

(1) I don't consider myself "vulnerable" in any sense, but for this one time, I'm sort of glad to be included in this category because I don't want to have to deal with the consequences of Covid *and* diabetes *and* living by myself.

Well, now I'm stuck at home without a teleworking laptop because the schedule for providing those fell behind the "closing whatever and stuff" thing, and the management decided to ask people with children and "vulnerable" people to stay away from the office. On Friday it was just going to be the folks with small children, and one of the guys in my team got a telework laptop provided in a hurry.

Then over the weekend, the government (French) raised the bar and the management decided to abandon the 100% telework plan for the people who didn't already have their laptops, and just ask them (including me, because of my Type 1 diabetes(1)) to stay at home and, by implication, not work.

OK, sure, I actually have a laptop at home, but it's *my* laptop (a nice Asus ROG Strix G) and (a) I'm not prepared to provide it for free for work purposes and (b) it's not secured correctly to be allowed to connect to the company network.

Oh well, I have a few things to do in-game, and this gives me some time to do them...

(1) I don't consider myself "vulnerable" in any sense, but for this one time, I'm sort of glad to be included in this category because I don't want to have to deal with the consequences of Covid *and* diabetes *and* living by myself.

My company is sending us home in a couple waves today and tomorrow. Frankly I'm happy to use my personal machine if means I don't have the ride the petri dish (er, transit bus) to work.

Less urgency here though, Canada has only a little over 300 cases last I checked, and only 18 in Edmonton where I live.

Well, now I'm stuck at home without a teleworking laptop

Well, in our country they annouced this way before. Everyone is to stay home apart from vital services like water, energy and a limited number of food serving instututes. Will this break the economy? Yes, but it will also rid us of the virus the fastest way possible. Who cares that people dont work for 2,3,4 weeks? They wont become sick and bother the healthcare system.

Who cares that people dont work for 2,3,4 weeks?

People who can't pay the rent because they aren't being paid because they aren't working because they aren't allowed to go out to go to work.

Happily, I now have a telework laptop. Just need to finish configuring it.

EDIT: I should point out that before work found me a laptop, I had a choice between "take home a desktop that I don't have room for" and "take a 30% pay cut for the duration because I would be on what's called chômage partiel".

Edited by SteveTheCynic

It's actually more serious than people want to believe. In NYC, where I live, everything is on lock down. Every public servicing venue has been ordered to close by the mayor. Restaurants, movie theaters, bars, and stores either have curfews or can only serve take out. Supermarket shelves are becoming bare because people are buying up for preparation. No one goes out anymore but if you have to then it's with a protective mask. My job has cancelled work indefinitely until the pandemic subsides. Edited by TonyTricicolo

So having recently got out of hospital because of pneumonia and significant amounts of blood clots on both lungs, clots probably caused by a previously undiagnosed heart condition I find myself in the "at risk" group. Having just finished three weeks of convalescence I was about ready to go back to work. But am likely looking at a 12 week isolation notice by the weekend.

However, I work in a Theatre (in the UK); government advice is to not go to the theatre, but as it is only an "advisory note" rather than a "mandatory note" the company I work for (a charitable trust dedicated to keeping a theatre running in the local town) is unable to access insurance protection for loss of earnings.

On top of that I am the default wedding planner for the venue, the 7 or so weddings we had booked in for this spring/summer season have all postponed for a year. Meaning the venues 2nd income stream is also shut down.

So I am about ready to go back to work, likely just in time to be made redundant.

And with no idea when the theatre/leisure industry will get back to operating even semi-normally.

All The Best

It's actually more serious than people want to believe. In NYC, where I live, everything is on lock down. Every public servicing venue has been ordered to close by the mayor. Restaurants, movie theaters, bars, and stores either have curfews or can only serve take out. Supermarket shelves are becoming bare because people are buying up for preparation. No one goes out anymore but if you have to then it's with a protective mask. My job has cancelled work indefinitely until the pandemic subsides.

I live in France. The *whole*country* is like that. Heck, you can get a fine for being out without a good reason(1).

(1) Going food or medecine shopping, going to see the doctor, going to a job that's still open and cannot be done in telework, taking care of relatives/children, or brief trips not far from home to walk the dog and/or yourself.

I live in France. The *whole*country* is like that. Heck, you can get a fine for being out without a good reason(1).

(1) Going food or medecine shopping, going to see the doctor, going to a job that's still open and cannot be done in telework, taking care of relatives/children, or brief trips not far from home to walk the dog and/or yourself.

Aside from the fines (although I don't know if they're going to implement it in Indiana) but they're talking about a possible curfew. Schools are already shut down, sporting events and concerts are postponed, take-out only for restaurants, grocery stores are constantly out of stuff; pandemonium.

People who can't pay the rent because they aren't being paid because they aren't working because they aren't allowed to go out to go to work.

It might be a bit harsh but its quite simple logic that every person should have a reserve for emergency. I mean you should have money and supplies to stay alive for some time if stuff goes bad. If not, well you are doing it wrong.

It's actually more serious than people want to believe. In NYC, where I live, everything is on lock down. Every public servicing venue has been ordered to close by the mayor. Restaurants, movie theaters, bars, and stores either have curfews or can only serve take out. Supermarket shelves are becoming bare because people are buying up for preparation. No one goes out anymore but if you have to then it's with a protective mask. My job has cancelled work indefinitely until the pandemic subsides.

Well thats how it shoul be. Thats how China got hold of the situation. There is no cure or vaccine, so the only thing you can do is let the virus die by it not being able to spread. Simple but effective. People just have to stay at home, only go buy food and back home.

Fortunately no, and hopefully I won't get to meet someone with COVID-19. My city just entered quarantine, my college even suspended classes for 30 days. Hopefully this will slow the spread of the virus in Brazil, despite some stubborn people still going out.

Its something we all need to take seriously and try and slow down. Follow advice recommended by official sources only in your country and by the WHO. Stay off scary social media. Stay in isolation where possible (and play SWTOR).

Look after each other folks!

I take care of my mom (she's bedridden and has COPD and other health problems). She is doing fine except her COPD is acting up. My college is online atm so I still have to do my research papers and stuff for my degree. Luckily we have access to Westlaw online for a lot of that.

I don't go to a lot of places because of concern for her. We haven't had a lot of people as of yet in our area (SC) but considering it takes time to get the testing done correctly that could change. There is some business that is working from home, courthouse, government offices, some law firms and some others like grocery stores and necessary places are still open but are closing early. A lot of our stores have put restrictions on the number of items for certain items (hand soap, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and paper towels) you can purchase so people don't horde and leave others out.

Our schools are closed but the teachers are now teaching elementary, middle school and high school online so the kids are still doing their work so they don't fall behind and therefore will not need to make up time when they do get to return.

Restaurants have closed dining inside but delivery and pickup are still options and we are being encouraged to support them while this is going on.

Edited by casirabit

My company has cleared out all but the most essentially positions to work from home. They literally purchased hundreds of new think pads to facilitate the change. As a transit user I'm pretty glad to be able to isolate.

When I've been out it seems like a Sunday, even during rush hour. Some people might be downplaying the seriousness, or thinking the media is exaggerating things, but I'd strongly disagree. The virus is extremely contagious, airborne, and fatal in about 3-6 percent of patients. If contagion rates of 30 to 60 percent hold true, that translates into a number of fatalities first world westerners have never experienced.

What's going to be really devastating though is the economic impact. There are a ton of people out of work and our modern economies are machine that need to operate continuously.

What's going to be really devastating though is the economic impact. There are a ton of people out of work and our modern economies are machine that need to operate continuously.

I think the billionaires are thinking right now how they can operate even during times like these, and the one thing that comes to mind is the use of robotics and AI. I suspect the push for such technologies will be greater than ever.