Jedi Knight vs. Consular: Who has most interesting companions?

Sarielle

Been playing through with an Imperial Operative completely unspoiled, but I'd like to play around with a force user alt. I decided light side (simply to see brand new areas, and honestly the little I tried Inquisitor really didn't do it for me). I'm curious which of those classes has the most interesting companions.

Obviously this is subjective, but I'd like to hear opinions -- please avoid major spoilers, I'd like to keep plenty of surprises for myself. :) I will be playing a female, though I don't necessarily feel compelled to do romance arcs. I might if the character is interesting enough, but that's not a main consideration for me.

:csw_bluesaber: So. Let's hear it!

Edited by Sarielle

I just got all my Consular companions, and am about to finish my story. Overall I didn't care for any of them until I got Nadia. Mainly because I felt there was no character chemistry between me and any of my companions until I got Nadia and that is only because of the romance option really.

I don't particularly like Khem Val, but they did a good job with the chemistry between you and him. It feels more like an actual companion where as with the Consular they all felt like drones.

Now I don't have a knight to compare it to but I figure I would put in my 0.02 about the overall feel I got from the Consular companions.

@Shardie: I may very well get around to trying all of them at some point, but in case I don't I'd rather start with the interesting ones first. I've been really hooked by the IA story so far and while Kaliyo doesn't always agree with me, she definitely has personality. :)

@Others: Thanks so far. Yeah, even if you haven't played both, if you loved or hated one class's companions overall I want to hear that too. ^_^

All of the Consular companions are bland and uninteresting, just like the story. The Jedi Knight's story/companions are superior in every way.

That's kind of disappointing because the consular gameplay actually interests me a little more...but I'd rather have a cool story, lol.

From a female point of view you might like JK's companions better. Especially if you do consider romance. Though JC get's not only 5 companions like everyone else but also involved in to the stories of companions that were cut off at release. They are still on the ship at the end just not as a crew members.

Nobody can help you here without heavy spoilers :) You have to try it for yourself.

P.S. Personally - love JC stories and every companion we get.

Edited by Mirandel

All of the Consular companions are bland and uninteresting, just like the story. The Jedi Knight's story/companions are superior in every way.

Pretty much my feeling on it. The Consular had the least interesting story and companions of every class I tried. (which is all of them) The only character I even slightly liked was the sidekick of one of your companions.

Meanwhile, the Knight's first two companions are probably my two favorite in the entire game. And I get them early enough to enjoy them. The other three I'm more neutral on, but given how much I like the first ones, they wouldnt see much playtime anyway.

If you like the playstyle of the Consular but want a much more fun and interesting story and companions, I'd reccomend giving Inquisitor a try. I found it more fun on every level. Even if you prefer playing Lightside.

50 Guard/50 Shadow here.

JK companions are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JC companions. Like woah not even in the same league.

T7 is pretty awesome in the cute droid kind of way.

Kira is mildly interesting with her past and watching her grow as your padawan.

Doc is the funniest companion I've had yet (and I have one of every AC at 30 or better so that's saying something)

Rusk is generally terrible. Hard-line military with no redeeming backstory. Kind of a filler.

Scourge is an uber important lore character so wins by default. Also pretty interesting having a sith perspective all the time.

Conversely--

Qyzen. Holy hell I hate Qyzen, the scorekeeper, and everything about this lizard.

Tharan almost had potential but fell short. Holiday is kinda funny though, I guess.

Zenith reminds me of Rusk. Hard-line military, but this time with an axe to grind. I admittedly have ignored him mostly so I don't know if he has witty banter or not.

Felix is just bland.

Nadia I actually liked. Naive force sensitive that you kind of grow attached to.

Overall Knights have better pets.

But Zenith is a beast from a dps standpoint. Plus he really does have some great onliners if you use him.

I am tank spec Shadow and I really like having him around

Doc's

"Did you not see my jedi friend"

Is my favorite I've heard so far

If you like the playstyle of the Consular but want a much more fun and interesting story and companions, I'd reccomend giving Inquisitor a try. I found it more fun on every level. Even if you prefer playing Lightside.

I got a little tired of the lightning when I tried it briefly, to be honest. It was really fun at first but I got a little burned out on it -- no pun intended. I really just enjoy playing healers, but I guess since my IA is one I can stand to branch out a bit for the Jedi Knight.

Looks like they're definitely winning the most votes :)

In my opinion the only companions i like are qyzen (he is interesting compared to the others, and he has a different take on life which is a refresher, trust me) and Nadia who I actually do grow to like. As for the stories, I will say that the Consular's get's much better after act 1, but it might seem intolerable during act 1. I like the Knight's companions a little bit more, and as for his story, you will either love it or hate it.

JC companions all day, and look at my sig unlike most I have actually played both to 50. T7 rocks and Kira is good but lets face it Doc is the poor man's Tharan and BTW holo-hottie CC is best Companion ability in the game. Scourge is a pain and I was already sick of his Darth Nobody *** in the book, much less in game. Rusk is a cookie cutter soldier just like Iresso, at least Zenith has a reason to fight other than someone gave him orders too.

Qyzen has one of the best stories I have seen in the game so far. Easily the most original except maybe Kem Val. Nadia was a better overall character I think than Kira but her romance is shoe-horned in at the end and it just goes by too quick.

I am glad I played both but I would rather go thru the JC story again than the JK.

Jedi shadow is the best one to choose for pvp

:confused:

Anyways, if I don't solve my leveling issues on my main character I won't be rolling an alt. -sigh- Without being able to find groups for heroics, I have run out of quests.

Still, feel free to keep opinions coming. Consular seems to be getting a little more love. :)

Doc is the poor man's Tharan and BTW holo-hottie CC is best Companion ability in the game.

This. Tharan is the best and most useful healer among all healers in the game. His CC is by far superior to any other.

Rusk is a cookie cutter soldier just like Iresso, at least Zenith has a reason to fight other than someone gave him orders too.

And this one is your potential problem: hot unromace-able Zenith with a deep story (and for many specs the best companion) vs romace-able and sweet but dull in comparison and useless Iresso :)

Edited by Mirandel

I've leveled both to 50. IMO their companions are much alike. I haven't really decided and on overall I find them to be equal.

Tharan/Holiday wins big time over Doc (me being male char. A female char might have a different impression), T7 over Iresso, Zenith slightly > Rusk and Nadia vs Kira is a draw. Quezen wins over Scourge.

Basically, a draw.

:confused:

Anyways, if I don't solve my leveling issues on my main character I won't be rolling an alt. -sigh- Without being able to find groups for heroics, I have run out of quests.

Still, feel free to keep opinions coming. Consular seems to be getting a little more love. :)

Hit a wall? What level are you at?

space missions may be a viable inbetween. may take a bit of cash to pick up the mods for the ship to do the higher level ones, but the experience you can get from them helps a ton.

Hit a wall? What level are you at?

space missions may be a viable inbetween. may take a bit of cash to pick up the mods for the ship to do the higher level ones, but the experience you can get from them helps a ton.

Eh, I just realized that the "must do missions first" message was simply telling me my log was full, so I was missing out on a ton of quests. So I just have to go back and find those now.

Would have been nice if the error had just said "mission log full" instead so it was actually clear what was happening. I thought I had to do earlier missions to unlock them or something. :mad: