An in-depth look at: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Aurbere

Another great index thread Aubere ;)

Teaching the galaxy that the Forums have a use after all, one step at a time :p

I'm not sure as to who id like to see next, but i have to ask, do any books or comics you know of delve into the Jedi Council's rebuilding of the order shortly after the time of Meetra Surik and revan? Its an interesting topic for me...

Another great index thread Aubere ;)

Teaching the galaxy that the Forums have a use after all, one step at a time :p

I'm not sure as to who id like to see next, but i have to ask, do any books or comics you know of delve into the Jedi Council's rebuilding of the order shortly after the time of Meetra Surik and revan? Its an interesting topic for me...

Thanks!

Really, I am not really aware of any books or comics detailing the recuperation of the Jedi Order after the events surrounding Surik and Revan (I assume we are speaking pre GGW). The only one I can think of is the Revan novel, which gave a very pretty picture of the Jedi Order after three wars and the near extinction of the Jedi. :rolleyes:

This sounds like Thrawn had a weakness for over-thinking his plans. Complex plans are generally bad ones, especially on the battlefield. Envisioning the path to Galactic dominance and actually achieving it are worlds apart.

His plans were usually good, but as I recall he sometimes gave enemies more credit than they deserved (they couldn't possibly be that stupid) and kept secrets from his subordinates so he could impress them with his genius when he pulled a new trick out of his sleeve.

Care to elaborate on this a little bit? I'm all for appreciating the arts, but in my experience no one has given me sagely advice along the lines of "Study great works of art, you'll learn to better perceive the flow of battles."

Thrawn studied a culture through the art it produced and gained insight into the psychological landscape of different species through their artistic expression. This allowed him to make deductions about what his opponent would do based on that insight. Zahn used this trait to add to Thrawn's mystique and explain some of the brilliant moves he made in outsmarting various New Republic commanders. YMMV on how plausible you think that is.

This sounds like Thrawn had a weakness for over-thinking his plans. Complex plans are generally bad ones, especially on the battlefield. Envisioning the path to Galactic dominance and actually achieving it are worlds apart.

Nonetheless, interesting character. It's great to see some military commanders being shown as competent, and it's also refreshing to see some good military action.

I wouldn't describe what Thrawn did as creating overly complex plans; it was more a case of orchestrating a series of events wherein everyone behaved in patterns he had already predicted and therefore had prepared a response for; and in cases where he did not have a response he was able to adapt on the fly and generally overcome others deviations from his expectations. His character was based on Irwin Rommel and Sherlock Holmes so between the two of them he has pretty strong reasons for being portrayed as smart enough to appear omniscient. Until his Noghri bodyguard stabbed him in the back. But as he said "It was so artfully done."

One minor thing that may need correcting: It was Voss Parck who brought Thrawn to the Empire and later served under Thrawn, not Colonel Barris.

If I recall correctly, Barris and his men had circles ran around them by Thrawn's crazy tactics on that uninhabited planet and Barris was not exactly a fan of him, likening Thrawn to a Jawa during their first meeting because of the furs he was wearing at the time.