Is Star Wars the Old Republic not “marketable”?

VallarianStar

The answer to the question is YES...of course it is! It’s STAR WARS! The problem is that SWTOR can only be seen on a gaming console / monitor, whereas, STAR WARS the movies are seen on the BIG Screen and TV for all public consumption. Therefore, the fan base for SWTOR is much less.

Even through word of mouth, my attempts to talk the game up among friends does not yield any interest. There seems to be only a select core of people who take interest in this game. Strange...because this is one of most AWESOME games I’ve ever played. I’ve played all the others like: WOW, dragons age, guild wars, etc...and I find myself returning to STWOR, time after time!

To the marketing crew of EA and Bioware, you’ve always had a winner of a game here - from the beginning. Why aren’t you doing more to promote and advertise this game to a larger audience?

Sadly, the forums are inundated with each person’s feelings and diatribe of what they think the game should be. But when it comes right down to it, everybody loves to play this game - who’ve played it!

My personal feeling is, why keep future expansion knowledge to yourselves when you have a player base that is screaming for more content? Why not keep them informed on your future plans, to whet their appetite and keep them playing the game in anticipation of that new expansion? The “tight lip” approach only tires the player base, they lose interest and leave the game for something else.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a loyal consumer of the game. I’ve spent a ton of money as a dedicated subscriber, and I been playing for years. I want nothing more than for this game but to grow again and continue to thrive.

Personally, I hope the developers have a HUGE SWTOR PROJECT (expansion) just waiting to drop that is much like the original, class based game. With hundreds of new quests, dozens of new planets, captivating new story line with vanilla dialogue and cut scenes. Large planets to roam around and discover. Bosses galore, lore objects to find, etc.

STAR WARS isn’t going to go away anytime soon! People are craving more!!

Just something to think about.

Vallarian Star

Edited by VallarianStar

If you were Disney, would you want to market a game that is constantly full of bugs that never get fixed?

It would drag the Star Wars name down.

I still believe that theyre already working on a new Star Wars MMO. Lets see what 2019/20 will bring to us.

I still believe that theyre already working on a new Star Wars MMO. Lets see what 2019/20 will bring to us.

I can all but assure you they are not. MMOs aren’t where the money is at these days... certainly not for EA.

Sorry, but SWTOR is the end of the line for Star Wars MMOs; if it fails there will never be a replacement (the earliest development could even be started for such a thing would be after the unlikely event that EA loses the license and the ink is dry with a new developer).

The closest you’ll ever get from EA if SWTOR folds would be a mobile game with multiplayer elements and endless popups for micro transactions to “enhance your experience.”

So enjoy SWTOR while it lasts. If it does reach an end of development, my hunch though is that it stays on in maintenance mode until the EA license expires without renewal or the maintenance costs get close to the revenue of those still subscribing/buying. The only reason SWG had a hard shutdown was the license got pulled.

I had a longer post written but it got rather rambly. The TL;DNR of it was:

The concept of a Star Wars based MMO is wildly marketable, but the name "SWTOR" carries a stigma about it after a wildly botched launch and years of unaddressed bugs and slow content release. SWTOR itself I think has burned too many bridges in the MMO community to be very marketable these days, even if it's a lot better of a game today than it was when those bridges were burned. That's not to say it's not marketable at all, but I don't realistically see it ever recovering to anything resembling launch day numbers.

The next Star Wars MMO on the other hand...

Edited by Genaya

problem is if Disney would ever release a Star Wars MMO it would be on there New universe and we all prefer This universe so it would never happen.

only thing we could ever hope for is for Anthem To fail Hard and EA relise that this was actually better and give it a good overhal with a good story based Expansion.

But we all know Lightsabers,Blasters and starship will become REAL! first (pigs might fly in other words)

only thing we could ever hope for is for Anthem To fail Hard and EA relise that this was actually better and give it a good overhal with a good story based Expansion.

With Canon Star Wars, hard to create new "major" story on SWTOR as this game is considered as LEGEND ! As mentioned some where, every star wars content created after august 2014 is canon. Perhaps, Bioware and SWTOR got a derogation to the rule !

I have my suspicions as well. It won't be called an "MMO" though, that name scares people away, it'll be called an "online-only multiplayer" game, or something like that. Gotta move away from claiming to be an MMO, even if it is.

This is the last of the old Star Wars material that is left over and unaffected by the disney buyout and the new Canon.

I have been a starwars fan since i was kid, I even used to watch the Ewok movies religiously. At my firehouse, I have starwars blankets on my bunk and the mandalorian symbol on my fire helmet. So I have never grown away from it.

That being said.....

Starwars has been pretty terrible as of late and frankly I would not expect a new starwars mmo.

I am surprised this game is still around TBH.

I wouldn't expect much more from Starwars for while after episode 9 is released.

The only hope I have is the Mandalorian TV show, but I have reservations about that at this point.

I dont think anyone wants to market the old canon.

Once this game is gone, that will be the last of the pre-disney Star Wars

Edited by kirorx

I dont think anyone wants to market the old canon.

Once this game is gone, that will be the last of the pre-disney Star Wars

When that happens, someone should make a fan movie about it. It has a similar vibe to ANH when they say 'the last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.'

Ominous

Edited by Ardrossan

SWTOR was never P2W, just saying.

This depends on your point of view...

But since SWTOR is currently a “F2P” game... there are restrictions on “Free to Play” players that makes them significantly weaker then those who have spent money on the game.

Free Players are capped at level 50, and cannot modify gear using purple and gold quality gear.

At least bolster can still get under-geared (and under-leveled) players into a competitive state. While they may not be fully optimized, they are still viable.

If Star Wars MMO is on the way out then I think a Babylon 5 MMO would be a truly awesome replacement - especially if it is set during the Shadow War. Imagine playing one of main races like the Minbari, Narn, Human or Centauri, or from the League of Non-Aligned world, and get J. Michael Straczynski to write the story lines.

It is but I think it’s never been marketed well. I didn’t know how deep and big the game was filled with storytelling and cutscenes. As cool as the cgi promo trailers have been, they led me into believing thats all there was for story in this game. To this day I still see a lot of people asking on TOR instagram pics and youtubes if the game really has much story or not. They hardly show ingame footage of the story in trailers, they mostly show gameplay combat which in the end, doesn’t look well on video. I thought the combat looked uninteresting in video till I actually played it. If this game would actually market its vast amount of cutscenes and the customizations you can do on it, I think it would have grown a ton more given that is free to play. I only got the game cuz it was free and I figured to try it, little did I know this game had the story and videogame experience I wanted out of Star Wars.

This depends on your point of view...

But since SWTOR is currently a “F2P” game... there are restrictions on “Free to Play” players that makes them significantly weaker then those who have spent money on the game.

Free Players are capped at level 50, and cannot modify gear using purple and gold quality gear.

At least bolster can still get under-geared (and under-leveled) players into a competitive state. While they may not be fully optimized, they are still viable.

None of that makes it P2W. So a F2P is capped at 50. Have you looked at WoW's free trial? They cap you at level 20. F2P in Swtor was only meant to be a Free Trial to encourage people that tried it for free to either A) buy CC's for Cosmetic stuff from the CM, and B) to encourage them to sub. It was never meant to just hand out the game completely free.

The irony is that they gave out the best part of the game for free. The 1-50 class stories.

Edited by Toraak

None of that makes it P2W. So a F2P is capped at 50. Have you looked at WoW's free trial? They cap you at level 20. F2P in Swtor was only meant to be a Free Trial to encourage people that tried it for free to either A) buy CC's for Cosmetic stuff from the CM, and B) to encourage them to sub. It was never meant to just hand out the game completely free.

The irony is that they gave out the best part of the game for free. The 1-50 class stories.

Exactly, a P2W system would be something along the lines of the Cartel Market selling Legendary Tier 5 gear. And that either being the only way to obtain it, or just the easiest while acquiring through gameplay would take you ages and make the current gear grind look like an afternoon nap. SWTOR has a too many restrictions for F2P IMO, some of those should be revised or taken out, but this game has never been P2W, P2P? Yes. P2W? Absolutely no, unless I missed the Cartel Market update with progression gear being sold for CCs.

As far as I know, that was cancelled, or at least another Star Wars game was cancelled.

The problem just is : STar Wars is so much greater than the games. More like SWG, I guess. Too sad I never had the chance to play SWG, I just didn't have the money back then.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer