Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

252 Worse than 248?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
252 Worse than 248?

Cherepk's Avatar


Cherepk
03.28.2019 , 09:14 AM | #11
On my 230 augmented scoundrel vs my operative one with mixed 248-252, i feel like scoundrel hits harder.....

Lundorff's Avatar


Lundorff
03.28.2019 , 02:36 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir-steve View Post
Safe to say I don't take it overly seriously, but I do enjoy it. I don't mind getting my share of whoopings.....but man, the hate you get from other solo ranked players when you die fast as the medic. "OMG they're win trading, report, report".

Thanks for the insights on gear folks, I'll play around with my purples/yellows a bit more to see if that helps.
I would advice against playing certain roles if you new to ranked. Healers and tanks will often make or break such games, and you will get nothing but grief for it. As a benchmark I would say a healer should be capable of 6 - 9 khps depending on the game. Yes there are many factors that will influence this, but some healers only do 3-4k hps and it's simply not enough (most of the time).

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
03.28.2019 , 03:06 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
... As a benchmark I would say a healer should be capable of 6 - 9 khps depending on the game. Yes there are many factors that will influence this, but some healers only do 3-4k hps and it's simply not enough (most of the time).
[Edited to make it a bit less sounding like a direct attack on you Lundorff - sorry about that if you read it already ]

What about 5-6K healers? Or 5-7.5K healers?

I understand that, yes, healer and tanks can have big impact on a match. And yes it sucks to have a match with a healer on either side, and you know right away that the other side has some awesome, impossible to kill healer, and your side has jill-average. But, to put it bluntly, why does some other player get to decide if I should play ranked or not?

I mean, in another thread I was contributing on, I had the "okay", apparently, from one of the "regular ranked guys" who'd been in matches with me, that I was good enough to keep playing (I am in no way good - but at least I think I'm learning). Then comes a match where 2 on my team and the entire other side conspire to vote kick me and another guy by leaving one of the other 2 "us" alive long enough for the vote kick to go through (that's not entirely fair, one guy on the other side protested in my name - but didn't actually stop it). Apparently I was "bad" according to them. So bad that I should not even be playing.

So who's right? Who gets to decide who is good enough to go into ranked? That's why I don't like any of this "you have to be able to do at least xyz", because everyone's "xyz" is apparently different. Since bioware didn't set a bar beyond some token valor level, then that means to me that everyone gets in... even if we suck.

If bioware wanted an actual skill bar to enter ranked, they *could* (in theory) implement it. Make someone go to a parsing dummy and actually dps or heal against it for 10 minutes and top xyz heals per minute, or xyz dps per minute. (I swear I've played some other game that made me do this before actually going in PvP, but I can't think what it was now?) Admittedly, I don't know how they would implement a bar for tanks. Maybe have random attacks spawn on several dummies and measure their guard swap or something. But in any event, they don't.

Maybe we should vote the "ranked pvp police", and then they get to approve who gets into ranked?

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.28.2019 , 06:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cherepk View Post
On my 230 augmented scoundrel vs my operative one with mixed 248-252, i feel like scoundrel hits harder.....
Probably does.

Have you compared their stats on the Bolster terminal? And do they both have the same stat main hand weapon?

sharkfishman's Avatar


sharkfishman
03.29.2019 , 09:04 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
[Edited to make it a bit less sounding like a direct attack on you Lundorff - sorry about that if you read it already ]

What about 5-6K healers? Or 5-7.5K healers?

I understand that, yes, healer and tanks can have big impact on a match. And yes it sucks to have a match with a healer on either side, and you know right away that the other side has some awesome, impossible to kill healer, and your side has jill-average. But, to put it bluntly, why does some other player get to decide if I should play ranked or not?

I mean, in another thread I was contributing on, I had the "okay", apparently, from one of the "regular ranked guys" who'd been in matches with me, that I was good enough to keep playing (I am in no way good - but at least I think I'm learning). Then comes a match where 2 on my team and the entire other side conspire to vote kick me and another guy by leaving one of the other 2 "us" alive long enough for the vote kick to go through (that's not entirely fair, one guy on the other side protested in my name - but didn't actually stop it). Apparently I was "bad" according to them. So bad that I should not even be playing.

So who's right? Who gets to decide who is good enough to go into ranked? That's why I don't like any of this "you have to be able to do at least xyz", because everyone's "xyz" is apparently different. Since bioware didn't set a bar beyond some token valor level, then that means to me that everyone gets in... even if we suck.

If bioware wanted an actual skill bar to enter ranked, they *could* (in theory) implement it. Make someone go to a parsing dummy and actually dps or heal against it for 10 minutes and top xyz heals per minute, or xyz dps per minute. (I swear I've played some other game that made me do this before actually going in PvP, but I can't think what it was now?) Admittedly, I don't know how they would implement a bar for tanks. Maybe have random attacks spawn on several dummies and measure their guard swap or something. But in any event, they don't.

Maybe we should vote the "ranked pvp police", and then they get to approve who gets into ranked?
I'm totally with you.

I tend to be rather curt to these players. "I will definitely stop queuing when the devs make ranked only for the 1%. Until then, buckle up because we're in for a bumpy ride!!!"

The devs appear to be attempting to increase the size of the ranked population (which is important to help with wintrading prevention) by making rewards available to ranked players of all calibers. If the same rewards were available by playing regular pvp, I'm sure more "low-quality" players would run that instead. But only ranked counts towards your daily and weekly.

When people complain about the quality of other players in "solo" ranked, it makes me laugh. There is a simple solution for the "elite." Make your own group. You know, with the leaguemates that you're trying to queue sync with?
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
03.29.2019 , 09:55 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
[Edited to make it a bit less sounding like a direct attack on you Lundorff - sorry about that if you read it already ]

What about 5-6K healers? Or 5-7.5K healers?

I understand that, yes, healer and tanks can have big impact on a match. And yes it sucks to have a match with a healer on either side, and you know right away that the other side has some awesome, impossible to kill healer, and your side has jill-average. But, to put it bluntly, why does some other player get to decide if I should play ranked or not?

I mean, in another thread I was contributing on, I had the "okay", apparently, from one of the "regular ranked guys" who'd been in matches with me, that I was good enough to keep playing (I am in no way good - but at least I think I'm learning). Then comes a match where 2 on my team and the entire other side conspire to vote kick me and another guy by leaving one of the other 2 "us" alive long enough for the vote kick to go through (that's not entirely fair, one guy on the other side protested in my name - but didn't actually stop it). Apparently I was "bad" according to them. So bad that I should not even be playing.

So who's right? Who gets to decide who is good enough to go into ranked? That's why I don't like any of this "you have to be able to do at least xyz", because everyone's "xyz" is apparently different. Since bioware didn't set a bar beyond some token valor level, then that means to me that everyone gets in... even if we suck.

If bioware wanted an actual skill bar to enter ranked, they *could* (in theory) implement it. Make someone go to a parsing dummy and actually dps or heal against it for 10 minutes and top xyz heals per minute, or xyz dps per minute. (I swear I've played some other game that made me do this before actually going in PvP, but I can't think what it was now?) Admittedly, I don't know how they would implement a bar for tanks. Maybe have random attacks spawn on several dummies and measure their guard swap or something. But in any event, they don't.

Maybe we should vote the "ranked pvp police", and then they get to approve who gets into ranked?
I think there's an important distinction here. Kicking people because you think they're bad is obviously terrible behavior. There is no defense for it, and it should not be happening (it's already pretty rare, but I do see it sometimes).

But I'm sure you'd agree that there is a huge difference between kicking someone and just typing "please stop queueing." The key difference is that a person does not have to do what another person typed. Your post makes it seem like regular ranked players actually can control who queues...but they can't. I don't think anyone should actually be deciding who gets to enter ranked, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to voice their opinion if they think someone doesn't belong there. Can such a suggestion often be rude, insulting, or "toxic"? Yes, but not always.

It's very rare that I tell someone not to queue, but if I see someone getting globaled in match after match, I might say something like "please stop queueing." Why? Because they are essentially ruining the games for 7 other people each time by making it a 3v4, which is extremely hard to overcome in mmo pvp. Your response might be "who are you to decide," but I'm not deciding anything; I'm just making a suggestion. It's still totally up to the person whether they want to listen to me or not.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.29.2019 , 06:39 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I think there's an important distinction here. Kicking people because you think they're bad is obviously terrible behavior. There is no defense for it, and it should not be happening (it's already pretty rare, but I do see it sometimes).

But I'm sure you'd agree that there is a huge difference between kicking someone and just typing "please stop queueing." The key difference is that a person does not have to do what another person typed. Your post makes it seem like regular ranked players actually can control who queues...but they can't. I don't think anyone should actually be deciding who gets to enter ranked, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to voice their opinion if they think someone doesn't belong there. Can such a suggestion often be rude, insulting, or "toxic"? Yes, but not always.

It's very rare that I tell someone not to queue, but if I see someone getting globaled in match after match, I might say something like "please stop queueing." Why? Because they are essentially ruining the games for 7 other people each time by making it a 3v4, which is extremely hard to overcome in mmo pvp. Your response might be "who are you to decide," but I'm not deciding anything; I'm just making a suggestion. It's still totally up to the person whether they want to listen to me or not.
A better response might be to ask them if they need some help.

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
03.29.2019 , 08:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
A better response might be to ask them if they need some help.
It could be, but notice that I said "getting globaled in match after match." Usually there is some effort to help, such as "make sure you save breaker for net and use barrier" or "make sure you stealth out and go heal before you die" or "you have to swap guard to the person taking damage," etc, etc. But there's only so much you can really help a person in the little time pre-match and between rounds. If the person can't take on basic advice and keeps getting globaled, well, in my opinion they don't belong in ranked.

And if by help you mean you'd want me to personally tutor them outside of ranked, I'm afraid that's not my job and I have no desire to do it. Though if someone asks nicely I'm more than willing to share gearing/utilities tips.