Lag spikes making SWTOR unplayable

Yeldah_

It's all in the title people. Connection to Satele Shan is simply terrible right now. It has been for the past 24 hours. I am seeing the dreaded red dot like once every minute at least. 230ms baseline with spikes up to 700+ms is pretty abysmal. Wrote a ticket to customer service because well.... I can now due to being a subscriber. So help me if I get another bloody computer generated reply that says update your graphics drivers....

Try this:

Delete the DiskCacheArena file in the client installation folder:

(default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor).

After this, run the repair function on the launcher.

If other issues try a repair first up, depending on which type of launcher you're using. Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is not present, click the cog icon and then run the repair option.

If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher.

Hope this helps!

I too get lag spikes. Its pretty common. I've heard many folks complain, and seen threads about it throughout the forum. Everything is fine, then for a period of roughly 2 to 30 seconds, there's a "drop" in performance. I usually sit about 40-70ms, but during a spike, it expands to 300-500ms. Everything resumes, and then you usually get updated to your dead character.

It started when they moved their stuff to the East Coast. More than likely, they aren't paying the backbone providers for optimum service. Guaranteed delivery companies like Akamai have specialized services for streaming data, which EA probably dumped on the move. It would be easy enough to see, with the packet sniffing software out there, but I'm not interested enough to worry about it. They'll either begin to improve their service, or continue to lose subscriptions because they're pinching pennies. You've got to spend money to make money, as they say...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...