Mandalorian Ep 3 and Weapon Restrictions (Slightly Spoilery)

Korithras

Speaking solely for myself, but hopefully others feel the same way? Episode 3 of The Mandalorian showed a mandalorian soldier wielding an assault cannon during a fight scene and it reminded me of a sore spot when it comes to SWTOR, and that is weapon restrictions.

Honestly I think locking classes to one or two weapon types based solely on their advanced spec needs to go. It's one of the things that's holding this game back and hurting it in more ways than one. Firstly is how some classes should have more options when it comes to weapons. Agents, troopers, bounty hunters, and smugglers in particular are hindered by this. There is really no reason beyond needing to change the coding around to accommodate such a feature. No reason in lore, to be certain.

Secondly is the way restrictions hurt the economy of the game. Some weapons are exceptionally valuable like lightsabers because 6 out of the 8 force user classes use them. Dualsabers not so much, they're a much more niche market and unless it's one of the truly rare and/or prized weapons, they're not anywhere near close. And then there's the laughing stock of weapons: sniper rifles and assault cannons. Limited to one advanced spec each they're not worth the starting price suggested by the GTN in a lot of cases. Again, there are exceptions? But few and far between.

I know it's more work than just removing the weapon restriction coding. I realize abilities will have to be re-worked, re-styled, and new animations added in etc. but it would be so worth the investment to let players associate themselves by choosing the weapon type they like, not having it chosen for them.

While I don't think the coding is going to be quite so easy to overcome, I do agree with the sentiment here.

I have always thought they should unlike weapon styles and the powers they grant from the stories/class themes so that we can have wider weapon usage by certain classes.

Boba Fett used a Carbine and yet a BH is pistols only? That's always irked me, and the Carbines they can use 1-Handed look derpy as they are so big, they look like they'd be hard to hold 1-handed.

In a similar vein, how about allowing companions to use a wider variety of weapons once more, I have a Juggy that misses Kira only using a Single bladed Lightsaber. For companions weapon use is pretty cosmetic, it just defines 1 or 4 attack animations and otherwise doesn’t impact DPS.

- Raith

I've always wanted SWTOR to make a 4th option or bring back a way to let us customize a tree based on completion of all the other classes and allow you to use other skills like Heroic moment, but at this point of the game that will only come with a SWTOR 2 or new game.

So far this season he has used melee skills, used his weapon as a staff, a sniper rifle, grapple, melee blade, some type of shock stab, and then pistol. Like a melee Merc/PT/Sniper. If he cloaks out I will lose it, but so far I'm very pleased. I just hate that they are 30mins:(

I've always wanted SWTOR to make a 4th option or bring back a way to let us customize a tree based on completion of all the other classes and allow you to use other skills like Heroic moment, but at this point of the game that will only come with a SWTOR 2 or new game.

So far this season he has used melee skills, used his weapon as a staff, a sniper rifle, grapple, melee blade, some type of shock stab, and then pistol. Like a melee Merc/PT/Sniper. If he cloaks out I will lose it, but so far I'm very pleased. I just hate that they are 30mins:(

Don't forget Flame thrower and

"birds".

:D

What’s even more irritating is that for both Snipers and Troopers, cutscenes show them using a blaster pistol, and often. Yet, that pistol is nowhere to be found in actual gameplay. They even pull them out right before fights start, as if that’s the weapon they’ve chosen to use.