Should the Selonians become a playable race?

AFanofStarWars

Doing the missions on Corellia and came across that Selonian character. I wondered, do you think ToR should add this animal like race sometime in the future? Though a problem I do see with implantation, is that they don't speak basic (at least in game). Problems would also exist in trying to fit armor over their images.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selonian

I read the info on Selonians. They dislike open spaces, which is why they mostly stay below ground, in tunnels and caves, and basements. It would never work - story or lore wise.

Apparently, then, you've never read the Centerpoint Trilogy. I found the depiction of Selonians in that series to be....hilarious. And they did have some--albeit, horrible--ability at space flight.

However, Selonians are, by and large, composed of sterile females. The females that can breed and males (which are all able to breed) generally stay underground to continue the species, while the other females conduct the day-to-day affairs of the species.

Edited by Lewintelamon

• 6 years later...
I read the info on Selonians. They dislike open spaces, which is why they mostly stay below ground, in tunnels and caves, and basements. It would never work - story or lore wise.

Considering there are several Selonian jedi, I think I disagree.

Considering there are several Selonian jedi, I think I disagree.

Doesn't change the fact that Selonians don't speak basic and have a unique body shape, both of which being the two biggest reasons why certain species will never become playable in this game.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I was surprised that Nautolans became playable as I didn’t think they’d be able to make enough variation in the faces. But they made it work.

Personally, I’d like to see the Rodians or Trandoshans. I’d be okay with Bothans too.

Doesn't change the fact that Selonians don't speak basic and have a unique body shape, both of which being the two biggest reasons why certain species will never become playable in this game.

"Selonians accustomed to dealing with offworlders learn to speak Basic as well." - from the Star Wars Wiki

The artwork for Selonians shows a wide variety of body types, and just as the Cathar have unique body shapes in the art, the playable race uses the same shape as the other races.

"Selonians accustomed to dealing with offworlders learn to speak Basic as well." - from the Star Wars Wiki

The artwork for Selonians shows a wide variety of body types, and just as the Cathar have unique body shapes in the art, the playable race uses the same shape as the other races.

You keep referring to exceptions in overall Star Wars lore and not to the specific lore of this game, which is the sole benchmark for the possibility of whether species can be playable or not. There is not a single Selonian in this game that speaks basic, which would make the player character stand out like a sore thumb. And that's without even going into all the class and planetary quests on Corellia that would break the Lore of how they interact with the Republic and the Empire. Just imagine doing the Imperial storyline on Corellia with a Selonian Bounty Hunter and you will know that this won't work at all. It's the same reason why the Voss will never become playable even though there have been several threads asking for it.

And regarding the body shape and how they compare to the Cathar, I have absolutely no clue how you can look at the models of both species as NPCs and think that there would be no problem at all fitting the armor on them. They would have to create completely new character models for playable Selonians and they would look nothing like the ones already in the game, especially the arms, legs and the tail.

Edited by Phazonfreak

You keep referring to exceptions in overall Star Wars lore and not to the specific lore of this game, which is the sole benchmark for the possibility of whether species can be playable or not. There is not a single Selonian in this game that speaks basic, which would make the player character stand out like a sore thumb. And that's without even going into all the class and planetary quests on Corellia that would break the Lore of how they interact with the Republic and the Empire. Just imagine doing the Imperial storyline on Corellia with a Selonian Bounty Hunter and you will know that this won't work at all. It's the same reason why the Voss will never become playable even though there have been several threads asking for it.

And regarding the body shape and how they compare to the Cathar, I have absolutely no clue how you can look at the models of both species as NPCs and think that there would be no problem at all fitting the armor on them. They would have to create completely new character models for playable Selonians and they would look nothing like the ones already in the game, especially the arms, legs and the tail.

Exactly, thank you!

Wont happen space gerbils are hardly shown with armor enough variants and body types to be playable not to mention the whole romance feature and not speaking basic. There are those make a bit more sense from a lore stand point and those are:

Anzant

Nagai

Palliduvans (Aurra Sing's species)

Devoronians

Echani

Sarkhai

Evocii

Tholothians

Icarii

Vultans

Kaleesh (the kissing animations is the only reason they may not ever get added)

Zeltron

Chargarians (because we already got npcs with that race and companion in rusk and we also have thte togrutas in the game so it would not be much for them to be added)

Some I may have missed but for the most part this list is close to being what we can expect the playable species to be. There maybe a few others alien type humanoids get added maybe the kel dor but i am not entirely sure on that. Most of the races will fill the human type role were they can use the customizations already existing in game to match with them.

Wont be getting wookies, rodians, yoda species, jawas, ugnaughts and gamorreans either. Wookies, rodians and gamorreans because of the romance options would look weird and wookies do not speak basic neither do gamorreans. Yoda species, jawas and ugnaughts because it would be difficult for them to implement a small size character even though there is 2 yoda species in the game oteg and the 1 from the consular story on coruscant. Jawas because you never see them without their robes and ugnaughts would not get played by hardly enough players.

It has been stated by BW what can and cannot be playable species in this game. Selonians doe's not fit that criteria.

This is not about indevidual player's agreeing or disagreeing about that. It is what it is.

There are many species I would like and many do fit into BW criteria, but sure some I would like don't.

I was surprised that Nautolans became playable as I didn’t think they’d be able to make enough variation in the faces. But they made it work.

Personally, I’d like to see the Rodians or Trandoshans. I’d be okay with Bothans too.

And look what they did to the Nautolans when they changed them to a Player Species... All they did was put a Nautolan Head on a Human Body. There is not a single person that remembers what they looked like before that likes what they look like now.

Imagine how Selonians would look with a Selonian head on a Human body and NO TAIL, NO MUZZLE and NO FUR. Just like the Cathars Player species. If you notice they look nothing like NPC Cathar's.

And look what they did to the Nautolans when they changed them to a Player Species... All they did was put a Nautolan Head on a Human Body. There is not a single person that remembers what they looked like before that likes what they look like now.

Imagine how Selonians would look with a Selonian head on a Human body and NO TAIL, NO MUZZLE and NO FUR. Just like the Cathars Player species. If you notice they look nothing like NPC Cathar's.

Two points there:

1. The Nautolan NPCs back in 2011 had a human body. There’s a quest on Coruscant where you try to retrieve a Nautolan female dancer for her boyfriend. Looked like body type 1-2.

2. The Cathar player model looks superior to the pre-player model.

You might disagree, but this is just a matter of preference.

It's worse than that, actually. The playable Nautolans are an *Advozsec* face with Nautolan head-tresses (tentacle things) on a human body, although as noted, the human body thing was true on the old NPC Nautolans(1) as well - just look at Nik the Whiner and Ria Deleru on Coruscant, or Thea in KotFE Chapter VII.

BW has stated before but unless it meets the following criteria, they won't be a playable race:

1. Must speak basic

2. Must have a humanoid like face and appearance for romance scenes.

3. Must work in all existing cutscenes (nothing too short or too tall).

4. Must work with all existing body armor and weapons.

Basically in a nut shell it will always be a reskin of a human model so they don't have to change or do animations differently.

BW has stated before but unless it meets the following criteria, they won't be a playable race:

1. Must speak basic

2. Must have a humanoid like face and appearance for romance scenes.

3. Must work in all existing cutscenes (nothing too short or too tall).

4. Must work with all existing body armor and weapons.

Basically in a nut shell it will always be a reskin of a human model so they don't have to change or do animations differently.

I didn’t know about 1 + 3 but it makes sense