Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

Wrench

Not hating on anyone, just standing by my statement.

There's no where to go but up for Episode 7, there's no way it's going to do worse than the prequels. Not by fans, not by critics, and certainly not by the most hardcore blind. It'd have to be 2011's Smurfs level of awful to do any worse.

I think VII is going to be great. Based on the Prequels, there is room for improvement. I'm sure it will be very good.

As to the question in the title, probably. Episode VII will bring Star Wars back into the mainstream. The biggest thing in Star Wars this day and age has been TCW. So I'm sure VII will give TOR some sort of notoriety. I'm sure new fans will look for a Star Wars game and find TOR.

I think VII is going to be great. Based on the Prequels, there is room for improvement. I'm sure it will be very good.

To be honest? I think it's going to be fantastic. As much as people want to hate on Disney cause...they're Disney? The fact is they have amazing writer's, and all of their recent films have been extraordinarily good. Not to mention they got one of the best writers of Episode 5 on the team; better yet Lucas has no creative control what so ever. He's on as an 'adviser' but he wont be able to mess anything up.

There's just about no way this could go south.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

To be honest? I think they're going to be fantastic. As much as people want to hate on Disney cause...they're Disney? The fact is they have amazing writer's, and all of their recent films have been extraordinarily good. Not to mention they got one of the best writers of Episode 5 on the team; better yet Lucas has no creative control what so ever. He's on as an 'adviser' but he wont be able to mess anything up.

There's just about no way this could go south.

Now don't jinx it! :)

I think it will be good. If Avengers did good, Star Wars VII will as well. I'm excited to see what they do.

Assuming TOR is around, yes.

I also wouldn't rule out future mmos with Disney at the wheel. They'll want a slice of the mmo pie just like everyone else.

On the MMO front I suspect this is true. One of the things that the players did when NCSoft shut down the City of Heroes MMO (big mistake of their part IMHO) was to send a petition to Disney to buy the rights to the game and keep it running. I haven't heard anything from Disney on whether or not they're going to do anything with CoH though.

Edited by UndyingImhotep

"Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?"

If EAware is smart enough (which is... not often) they will probalby ride on the movies popularity and will push the advertising of this game, hopefully that will also mean REAL new content for this game...

"Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?"

If EAware is smart enough (which is... not often) they will probalby ride on the movies popularity and will push the advertising of this game, hopefully that will also mean REAL new content for this game...

Yep, they should do advert tie ins and other promotions leading up to and during Ep7.

In terms of the movies themselves, the lady who's heading up all things Star Wars over at Disney keeps mentioning 'family experience'. I have no doubt that Ep7-9 will be an improvement over the prequels but I doubt they will appeal to what I want. A film aimed at an older mature audience, less emphasis on effects, well developed character interactions, and a more sophisticated take on conflicts beyond just good vs evil. Exploring more of the spiritual side of SW could be very interesting but it takes a good writer to do that in a non snoozefest way. KO(SW)TOR fulfills a lot of that which is why I'd love to see movies set during that time period.

Big movies too often talk down to their audience, are afraid to be perceived as taking themselves too seriously, or try to get by on fluff like effects, gimmicks, slapstick, or cheesy cameos. If these flicks avoid just half of these pitfalls I'll be impressed.

Edited by Projawa

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

So.. im a HUGE Star Wars fan, as I know most of you are too. We're also no doubt all aware of the mixed feelings in the Star Wars community surrounding the news that Disney is at the reins and we now have a definate 7th film in 2015 with more potential sequels every 2 years after that..

Personally as a Star Wars of going on 3 decades, I have mixed feelings... on the one hand im scared that the new hands at the reins will charge off into the sunset ripping the preciously constucted lore to shreds on the way... but on the other hand im thinking.. YES!!!! more visual Star Wars stories to watch and enjoy... To be honest its a 20-80% split.. the 80 being the excitment factor!

But anyway, back to my initial point of this thread.. With the inevitable hype for the new films, will there be a hike in the interest and draw to our beloved Star Wars The Old Republic MMO?

The films will no doubt draw in the next generation of StarWars fans to the cause, but will they also come our way as well...???

What are your thoughts?

I think there will be an explosion of new interest in Star Wars for a new generation. Old timers will probably always have difficulty with new material, but kids will love them, which is the point. I think it will help here at The Old Republic. I personally like the Old Republic period more than the period set during the films. Its an exciting place, and it is only a matter of time before mainstreamers catch on to that fact.

I think we'll see with Star Wars under Disney an adjustment similar to the Pirates of the Carribean films between three and four. In Stranger Tides, they went back to the the basics of being a pirate. I think the same kind of thing will happen in Episode 7. I would bet that the story will feature Jaina Solo, which will become the Lara Croft of space. There is a lot of exciting potential there. I think we're all in for a lot of fun.

I wonder what people will say what I am about to say.....

For a period of time... late 80's early 90's before the original trilogy was redone. (I wonder if Lucas redone them knowing he was about to do the prequels).... Star Wars was dead. There weren't many books written (or even popular unless you were hardcore), no figures being made, nothing. But when the original trilogy was redone, the figures came back out.. then the prequels... which then brought the Clone Wars, more figures, the popularity of star wars books including a number of pc games.. (KOTOR,SWG,and Swtor and future games like 1313.)

If it wasnt for the prequels, we would all just be remembering the originals and talking about how great it was. But star wars is for the future generations as well. Some people wont like the prequels but how many kids love them? Clone wars.. the same... My two boys 2 yo and 6 mo. stare at the Clone wars and my 2 yo runs and grabs his FX saber and Boba Fett weapon and start shooting up the tv when the droids are shooting....he grabs his Galactic Hereos and plays when the movie is on. A new generation. I remember seeing A new hope in the theater at 4 yo.. and now I can share them with my boys.

Prequels, despite not being all that good, was genius because now we are talking on the SWTOR forums and complaining in how they will mess it up and playing our 'badly created game' and wait for the new movies to come out.