Darkness Assassin or Immortal Juggernaut. questions for both.

Strengthius

Hello all. I just returned to swtor, subbed, and am loving it. Just had a couple of questions on the tank disciplines of assassin and juggernaut. I want to main one of these classes eventually so I will start off by asking some questions. First, overall which is the better tank when played good? Second, which is overall more survivable and will have less deaths. Third, which class does overall more damage in their tank dicipline and is stronger in solo pve? Thank you all. Edited by Strengthius

Hello all. I just returned to swtor, subbed, and am loving it. Just had a couple of questions on the tank disciplines of assassin and juggernaut. I want to main one of these classes eventually so I will start off by asking some questions. First, overall which is the better tank when played good? Second, which is overall more survivable and will have less deaths. Third, which class does overall more damage in their tank dicipline and is stronger in solo pve? Thank you all.

Darkness is a lot harder in my opinion because there’s a lot more going on but in PVP they’re probably the strongest with one self heal and a full health restore via Force cloak makes it a more viable choice and spec considering this spec you can easily use DPS set bonus gear for procs (armourings) lethal 54B mods and some various enhancements of choice makes them pretty unstoppable even with a healer and being ganged up on as you can just exit combat.

Immortal on the other hand in my humble opinion is a lot more fun and feels unstoppable like you’re bullying opponents it’s easier as most procs/passives trigger from attacks and the AOE crushing blow is just amazing the reason I stick with it the animation/dmg but it does have issues since our self heal had changed where as long as the opponent is attacking you, you’ll heal and the mobility (Sin beats this hands down) but it is the easier spec of the two to master.

But all in all Darkness is better imo. Force Speed, Stealth, Mindtrap, DPS set bonus, 4 CC abilities (Whirlwind, Spike, Electrocute, Mindtrap.), Force Cloak, Wider Range of Attacks and Self Heals.

Edited by DarthSealth

Darkness:

+ Highest potential damage mitigation

+ Great aggro management on large packs of mobs

+ FP and Reg PvP Utility (pull+wave, stealth)

- Requires very active use of defensive cooldowns

- Lowest potential DPS against bosses

Immortal:

+ Highest potential DPS against bosses (with good use of reflect)

+ Doesn't require very active use of defensive cooldowns

+ Ranked and Reg PvP utility (Intercede, lots of stuns)

- Not the best damage mitigation, especially in fights that ignore defense

- Lowest aggro management on large packs of mobs

Edited by Eli_Porter

Hello all. I just returned to swtor, subbed, and am loving it. Just had a couple of questions on the tank disciplines of assassin and juggernaut. I want to main one of these classes eventually so I will start off by asking some questions. First, overall which is the better tank when played good? Second, which is overall more survivable and will have less deaths. Third, which class does overall more damage in their tank dicipline and is stronger in solo pve? Thank you all.

1. Optimally played, sin will have the better ability to cheese mechanics and is arguably the best tank right now.

2. Honestly both are competent tanks for all content provided they are played properly.

3. More damage, probably sin also equally well played.

Though I have declared sin the overall best tank, for me, jugg remains the winner. I simply prefer the playstyle better and honestly for mechanics that can't be cheesed the survivability difference isn't that great. Juggs are about proper DCD usage and have more tools to manage after the damage is taken. Sins are better at avoiding the damage altogether and have far more passive stack management involved.

Basically, in terms of damage taken:

Sin > juggie > pt

For me personally, play style wise:

Juggie > pt > sin

Been having the same dilemma as OP as well. My question, between the 2 classes, which pulls higher numbers in there respective dps role?

If youre asking which tank has better dps, probably sin.

If you're asking which dps spec of shadow or guardian has better dps it's more complicated.

At the moment Juggernaut is the #1 tank according the the theorycrafters' ratings, and there is no argument that it is the easiest of all 3 tanking class, aside from guard and taunt, intercede is an excellent ability to help out a team mate, who is under pressure, and can pretty much save someone who is under focus with low HP, from dying (if there is a healer or they have self-heals).

But the issue is not which is best, at this point, because as a tank, you are the leader, and if you are not comfortable with the class you are playing, it could spell trouble for the group. Sin tank is a bit easier with damage mitigation as you can just spam force speed (with the right utility) to reduce most damage.

I would go with a assassin though, if I am on Empire but definitely a guardian if i am on Republic. You just gotta play a guardian lol -- if you are a jedi.

I wonder where you got that from because Assassin is by far the best tank by potential mitigation.

In terms of actual dtps last time I read any rankings shadow and guardian were within like 2%.

Sin in practice will generally take less because they have the ability to cheese mechanics. This is not something you can account for in dtps, and why it's only minimally useful as a metric. In this game, in my experience, you don't die to dtps. You did to spikes. That is why guardian and shadow are better than VG. Guardian can mitigate damage with a DCD or hit enure as a bounce back measure. Sins can avoid many all together, and can similarly mitigate or heal off some others. It's VG who got the short end of the stick in DCDs.

• 1 year later...

Ughhhh, this thread is typical tank talk. I plaid SWTOR for half a year when it got released back then, and I just returned after a almost 8 years. These discussion never change - Yes, the other tank can do more, BUT I have a higher health pool and I can protect better. The comment of the guy, who refers to theorycrafters and ladder numbers in his comment, is pointless! The question is more the play style a player prefers.

- "I am a tank, I can protect and save you all" ... my impression, when I play Jugg - simple, sluggish, for slow thinkers

- "No mater what, at the end I will prevail" ... that's the assassin for me - it's fun to play, if you can micro manage all abilities FAST!

- "Let's get the job done and move on" ... the shield tech - nothing flashy, nothing shiny, but it get's the job done no matter what - I prefer this one as general purpose tank for daily tasks

For me the numbers of theorycrafters and ladder players are nice, but the play style has to suite me to be an effective tank - that's all. I say play the three classes, experience them and make your pick.

In terms of OP's or FP's I'm certain every encounter can be done with every tank. It might be, that a healer CD is required to survive a damage spike, although team work is the core idea behind raiding. Managing an encounter and grouping up the mobs so they can AoE'd down easily, is more important for me then a large health pool and a CD to mitigate a damage spike from time to time. I rather prevent damage by interrupting or stunning then soaking up damage like a sponge with a large health pool.

There might be as many opinions as players when it comes to the question "What tanking class is best". A class/tank must be plaid for a while to figure out the likes/dislikes for the particular class/tank. Statements of others can be consider when evaluating a class/tank. At the end the player, and the player ALONE is responsible for his choice, regardless what numbers and recommendation others made!