WTH Embargoing the Star Cluster pack in 2.8.1???

Mureyu

We can preview the packs before we buy them. Everyone and their dog knows it's a gamble when you choose to open a pack. Duh.

For you Brainy Smurf nerds out there it's like this: You go to the grocery store on Saturday to buy some Lucky Charms. The next Saturday you go back to buy them again and the price went up .50.Welcome to the ever changing REAL world. Companies don't live in a fantasy world and they provide us a service. No one is entitled to anything and if you feel mistreated as a sub cause you choose to only participate in a small portion of what the game offers then tough luck.

Get it? It's common sense in my book but I know it's pointless to argue with Brainy Smurfs. Have fun all.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can preview the packs before we buy them. Everyone and their dog knows it's a gamble when you choose to open a pack. Duh.

For you Brainy Smurf nerds out there it's like this: You go to the grocery store on Saturday to buy some Lucky Charms. The next Saturday you go back to buy them again and the price went up .50.Welcome to the ever changing REAL world. Companies don't live in a fantasy world and they provide us a service. No one is entitled to anything and if you feel mistreated as a sub cause you choose to only participate in a small portion of what the game offers then tough luck.

Get it? It's common sense in my book but I know it's pointless to argue with Brainy Smurfs. Have fun all.

Well, Brain Smurf, in case you haven't noticed (and you clearly haven't) reskins and new-old pack content is not the main issue here. It's drop rates of set pieces and unlock prices, claimed "intended and working correctly" by EA. People can "preview" unlock price and doing so obviously allows to save cc but no one could preview the tweaked / adjusted / messed up with drop rates. Not the whole gosh darn rare set, like the revan's one, but pieces of the same set.

Sky-high unlock prices and set pieces drop rate were all then called working as intended and part of "trying out some new things".

New things? How ironic. How about freaking new content, including really new cartel packs content. Not freaking new way of attempting to make people spend more. That is what I call an insult and slap in the face of subs who support the game with their money. And EA / BW is in no position to conduct this prices/drop rates BS tricks in light of giving barely anything first.

P.S. Good point about real changing world. If 2.8. had anything decent to offer apart from its name, that would be a nice change for starters. So far the only thing that seems to change is drop rates and prices. And all possible sorts of bugs. Meaningful content-wise nothing has changed for months and months.

Edited by Preston_Violent

There are tons of lower pieces and gloves, belts, boots, bracers. The chests and helms have dropped at a disproportionate rate compared to the rest, and at a far lower rate than is the norm in packs. They admitted that they were "trying something new" out in regards to both drop rates and CC unlock costs. Emote normal cost: 60 for standard, 240 for the more "desirable" ones; this pack 600 CCs. They admitted that they were testing the waters, and have no plans to made adjustments. They of course admitted none of this before putting the pack on sale. It shows what they think of those who spend money on the CM as a whole.

The disproportionate rarity is something I already addressed in this thread and I agree with that point. I don't like that part either.

Of course they are not going to adjust the rates for this pack because that would kill the effect of the test. I am not saying they aren't trying to make money, of course they are, but the thing about a test is that it will have certain results. It does mean if certain things don't work well they will change them afterwards but announcing the test beforehand would also affect the test. There is no set of rules on how CM items are handled, so people shouldn't act like there are rules that BW has to follow.

The reason for testing is normally that something is not working out or they think something needs to work better. Other than the odd rarity division within a set, I have no issues. CC costs are what they are. There is a set I collected and I haven't unlocked it with CC because it wasn't worth the CC cost to me. So that's what they'll see also in their numbers afterwards.

I can understand some people being upset about this new way of handling a cartel pack but at the same time I don't see it as an insult. I bought no more packs than before and I got out of it what I wanted. I actually bought less packs than on previous ones and because I know it will go away soon I am not going to buy more because I am already looking at the next set. This is the consequence.

I just look ahead at the items I want and make sure I do what it takes to get those items. I haven't spent massive amounts on this but a mix of buying some packs and watching the gtn gave me what I wanted. The rest I don't really care about. What I will say though is that a lot of so called rare items are sitting on the gtn for prices under 10K. That's a problem for me and this could solve at least that issue.

Edited by Tsillah

There needs to be rare items in this game like Revan's gear.

Absolutely. Nobody sensible is against some items being more rare then others.

But that does not mean they can suddenly make the lower armor box 10X more common then Upper and Supplementary and expect it to be good for players OR the game. It's not. It creates much needless (and useless) clutter on the GTN for the Lower boxes and their contents. It creates feelings if distrust in the player base, and rightfully so.

It also does not mean they can suddenly jack up unlock costs by 5x on sets or items, with ZERO acknowledgement and not get pushback about it. Doing this on top of the very wide variation in drop rates for items within a set just compounds the feelings of being scammed.

The fact that their solution is to pull the pack at 2.8.1 just further digs a hole for them on this.

Regardless how you look at this issue..... they made large changes here and gave no advance notice, nor even any post patch notice. In fact, for the first week after it was reported and we asked for clarification, they responded and treated the bug report posts as though it was a bug they were looking into.

I realize that they probably picked the least painful path to remedy (withdrawing the pack early), and it is their game and their choice to make. But to pretend that they did not %$^ this up is just silly IMO.

And they are human, so yeah, they will make mistakes. The bigger aspect of making a mistake is how you remedy it. They have done a horrible job on this one as far as I am concerned (and it does not even impact me personally), and have dug themselves a large credibility hole with players (not the perpetual anti-SWTOR crowd....but the broader player base).

Edited by Andryah

Where is the proof that the item drop rate is jacked? I know the legacy unlock prices have changed but where is the proof that we have been wronged as far as RNG goes? Where? Prove it, until then you are all a bunch of pitchfork hillbillies on a which hunt.

Where is the proof that the item drop rate is jacked? I know the legacy unlock prices have changed but where is the proof that we have been wronged as far as RNG goes? Where? Prove it, until then you are all a bunch of pitchfork hillbillies on a which hunt.

Only dev's are able to prove it, which they'll never do, of course. Therefore, no complaints regarding drop rate issue before and then suddenly an outburst of them should and will serve as a proof. Everyone who has bought and opened at least a few star cluster packs noticed it. And many went here to express their frustration.

You can accept it as a proof or continue to deny it, we want our opinion on this "trying out new things" to be heard while you keep returning to the thread to throw around insults and attempting to defend this odious EA's decision. I don't think anyone who is not cool with this drop rate/unlock costs "test" really cares if a EA defender in this thread is convinced or not.

Only dev's are able to prove it, which they'll never do, of course. Therefore, no complaints regarding drop rate issue before and then suddenly an outburst of them should and will serve as a proof. Everyone who has bought and opened at least a few star cluster packs noticed it. And many went here to express their frustration.

You can accept it as a proof or continue to deny it, we want our opinion on this "trying out new things" to be heard while you keep returning to the thread to throw around insults and attempting to defend this odious EA's decision. I don't think anyone who is not cool with this drop rate/unlock costs "test" really cares if a EA defender in this thread is convinced or not.

RNG. You aren't guaranteed anything. I had better RNG luck with this Star Cluster pack than I have in the past so the argument of a few who had bad RNG luck is just that, bad luck. I have no problem with them upping the legacy unlock prices and I sure as hell don't have a problem with this pack containing rare items. On the Harbinger everything was so cheap I didn't even need to use CC's to unlock a thing. Prices have shot up now but still within reason. You folks have no valid argument because you are suggesting that RNG should favor you more.

Edited by ZETA_SCORPII

You don't have to look any further than the gtn. Pieces like Tulak's belts, wrists, boots, pants and gloves are a plenty....there are atleast (on my server) 27-30 of these items each compared to 8 uppers and 7 masks. Yah, nothing awry here.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lunafox

You don't have to look any further than the gtn. Pieces like Tulak's belts, wrists, boots, pants and gloves are a plenty....there are atleast (on my server) 27-30 of these items each compared to 8 uppers and 7 masks. Yah, nothing awry here.:rolleyes:

They made the good stuff (uppers and masks) rare. This is not new.

People only see what they want to, and you want to see that they are just and wonderful and on the up and up, so it would be a waste of time trying to get you to see otherwise, judging from your responses, not just to me, but others.

I'm glad you have faith in them, I hope they never fail your belief.

Can't remember that ever being the case with lockboxes though... Or at the very least, to the extent that you see 10(!) pages with Lower Armor and only one with Supplementary and Upper ones.

And I did see this on both Red Eclipse and Progenitor.

People only see what they want to, and you want to see that they are just and wonderful and on the up and up, so it would be a waste of time trying to get you to see otherwise, judging from your responses, not just to me, but others.

I'm glad you have faith in them, I hope they never fail your belief.

My issue with this is that people feel wronged when they weren't. There are no RNG guidelines for packs so no one was wronged. This is the issue I have. Can you understand my point of view?

My issue with this is that people feel wronged when they weren't. There are no RNG guidelines for packs so no one was wronged. This is the issue I have. Can you understand my point of view?

Again, Eric already stated that the next pack will be more in line with the ones that preceded the Star Cluster pack.

He said that for a fairly OBVIOUS reason.

Can't remember that ever being the case with lockboxes though... Or at the very least, to the extent that you see 10(!) pages with Lower Armor and only one with Supplementary and Upper ones.

The only thing I see on the Harbinger is the Tulak set is rare, everything else is within reason. Still, 1.5 for a rare helm or chest piece is cheap.

The only thing I see on the Harbinger is the Tulak set is rare, everything else is within reason. Still, 1.5 for a rare helm or chest piece is cheap.

Glad to see you conveniently ignored this...

Suits you.

Did he say that as far as the drop rates are concerned, or the legacy unlocks?

I guess that clicking on a link must be too much trouble...

My understanding is that rarities and collections costs will be more in line with previous packs.

-eric

I checked in with the CM team and it sounds like in general you will see both rarities and collections costs be a bit more expected in the Club Vertica pack!

-eric

In other words, BOTH.

When have you not seen the GTN cluttered with the worthless stuff after a pack is released?

As I said already more than once... :rolleyes:

I understand you, but how many posts does Eric have to make stating that they were testing the waters with the packs in terms of drops and rarities. He's admitted to it in several places on the forum. Maybe the rates weren't previously carved in stone, but it's a pretty rude realization when you are used to things being a certain way, and then suddenly the carpet is ripped up from under you and everything is changed, and not for the better.

This many people don't get upset for no reason. You'll always get a handful about something, but when something is really wrong, thats when you see the turn out on the forum threads...they get long, and they coax those with the yellow font out of hiding to try and fix it with those who are upset. That doesn't happen if there is nothing wrong.

Ok, so **** rare items is what you guys are saying. That's cool.

Not at all what I'm saying. If items are rare, then let them be rare. It's idiotic to have 28 pairs of tulak gloves to five helmets. If the suit is rare, then all the pieces should be rare, and have similar ratios...that's what truly defines rarity.

Not at all what I'm saying. If items are rare, then let them be rare. It's idiotic to have 28 pairs of tulak gloves to five helmets. If the suit is rare, then all the pieces should be rare, and have similar ratios...that's what truly defines rarity.

Just like Revan's gear, right?

When have you not seen the GTN cluttered with the worthless stuff after a pack is released?

Look... stop pretending to not understand here. Beginning with this pack...... they introduced (allegedly on purpose) widely different drop rates for different armor boxes within a set. THIS IS NEW BEHAVIOR on their part and not in any way disclosed to players. Player though.. being smart looked at the obvious difference in drop rates within a set and asked if it was a bug or intended. They hummed and hawed for 4 days....before saying it would be corrected in 2.8.1, followed two days later with "working as intended.... and we are embargoing the pack on 2.8.1.

Even a gerbil can figure out here that they either messed something up, or made a really bad decision and then covered it up with an early embargo as their plan to fix it.

Edited by Andryah