Lost Island HM should have better loot.

Most of the people I've met require really good gear to beat it, me, too. It's not impossible to do it with tionese or half columi but people won't give it a try.

Well fair enough, I can understand your point.

I guess my personal frustration is when solutions for difficult content are something other than mastering it. I probably failed 30 times in a row on LR-5 when I was first doing end-game content on my first level 50. It seemed practically impossible at the time. And yet, when threads were appearing to nerf the content, I lobbied to keep it the way it was.

For me, I just wanted to get good enough to finally beat it.

Eventually, I connected up with some others that showed me how to do the strategies (somehow just reading them didn't seem to be enough) and I got good at it. I felt fantastic, like I had really accomplished something. As of 1.3, the LR-5 was nerfed, and what was challenging became only mildly difficult (in my book, anyway).

Some people are unable to do SM EC either. Are there any players that can do SM EC but cannot do HM LI? I would be surprised if there were. The skills are comparable. Know what the bosses do, deal with the reticles, move when needed, stay in coordination with others, avoid damage, etc. etc. The point here is that if they get good enough to master HM LI, it can only help them progress farther into end-game.

I believe that if the rewards for HM LI were changed to drop 4 pieces of Rakata, it encourages players to think that overgearing is more important than skill and strategy, which just isn't the case. Just take a look at some of the earlier posts in this thread: "You have to be in BH/Rakata to heal HM LI"

Anyway, that's my $0.02 on the subject.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been said a few times already, but probably needs to be repeated. LI HM is not hard, you need to learn to play. There is so much avoidable damage, especially at the droid.... seriously, you can do it with getting hit only by the adds. And the droid itself doesn't hit all that hard either. I'm sorry, but if you have a hard time there, it's not because the FP is hard, it's because you are bad.

Some people are unable to do SM EC either. Are there any players that can do SM EC but cannot do HM LI? I would be surprised if there were. The skills are comparable. Know what the bosses do, deal with the reticles, move when needed, stay in coordination with others, avoid damage, etc. etc. The point here is that if they get good enough to master HM LI, it can only help them progress farther into end-game.

I know quite a few who can clear EC SM and still can't do lost island. come to the shadowlands and i'll introduce you to them.

I know quite a few who can clear EC SM and still can't do lost island. come to the shadowlands and i'll introduce you to them.

So you're saying, I could take

1. A tank that knows how to position Toth and Zorn, drop Breath of the Masters, and mitigation to survive berzerks, cleaves and other heavy attacks,

2. Two dps that can beat the enrage timers on all EC fights, and

3. A healer that can heal through all phases of T/Z, run around the ground on F/S while healing and keep everyone alive during Kephess.

Put them in HM LI and they can't make it past LR-5?

Edited by Khevar

Yeah, sorry. Not buying it.

Anyone who can't do HM LI but can "do" SM EC is being carried though the operation by others that are actually competent.

I should probably give up posting on this thread. Eventually you and a handful of others are probably going to convince Bioware to nerf HM LI to the point where it isn't fun, and eliminate any chance of more T2 flashpoints being introduced that have any challenge.

Too bad for me, I guess.

The loot you get from LI HM is the valuable teamwork and communication skills (Along with understanding your role in a team) that will allow you to eventually complete operations. Every other FP gives you decent amounts of loot, but the difficulty of these FP's make you believe that you are some sort of god in SWTOR. Lost Island gives you a piece of rakata and columi that aren't easy to get if you don't do ops, as well as teaching you how to do a mini-op. Oh and also it gives you 8 BH comms a week. The droid is difficult to beat, but if you can master the mechanics of that, then you are one step closer to completing a harder op.

Stop complaining, play the game as it comes to you.

The loot you get from LI HM is the valuable teamwork and communication skills (Along with understanding your role in a team) that will allow you to eventually complete operations. Every other FP gives you decent amounts of loot, but the difficulty of these FP's make you believe that you are some sort of god in SWTOR. Lost Island gives you a piece of rakata and columi that aren't easy to get if you don't do ops, as well as teaching you how to do a mini-op. Oh and also it gives you 8 BH comms a week. The droid is difficult to beat, but if you can master the mechanics of that, then you are one step closer to completing a harder op.

Stop complaining, play the game as it comes to you.

NM EV and KP are easier than LI HM, even HM of these 2 are easier to some people.

NM EV and KP are easier than LI HM, even HM of these 2 are easier to some people.

That's because it's an entirely different situation. You have 8 people in EV and KP. Imagine if you went straight from Kaon to EV, without any idea of having to deal with frequent wipe-causing mechanics. LI HM is a very good bridge, because it makes you get very twitchy and nervous about interrupts and coordinating movements. The point of LI HM is not to get you all geared up in terms of armour, but to actually get you a little bit over cautious for the subsequent operations, so the developers can then increase the difficulty of mechanics in operations and make them exciting as opposed to the traditional FP "tank 'n' spank"

The thing that ***** me to tears about HM LI is that's just plain annoying for what it rewards.

It's nice to say that it's to provide a challenge but so does EV and KP which are a lot more interesting and drop better stuff.

The thing that ***** me to tears about HM LI is that's just plain annoying for what it rewards.

It's nice to say that it's to provide a challenge but so does EV and KP which are a lot more interesting and drop better stuff.

The purpose of LI is not to get geared, it's to become experienced handling mechanics that aren't easily ignored. Would you prefer Bioware reducing the difficulty of LI HM and then having players who have very little experience with wipe-causing mechanics running through EV and KP? That is a massive learning curve that can be overcome if you are part of a PVE guild who has the patience to explain everything to you, but what happens if you are just a casual player who is unguilded and needs a challenging lesson in how to deal with mechanics? Send them straight into an op after having dealt with a weaker LI HM, or keep LI HM at full strength, let them spend time wiping in it and learning every mechanic there is to learn, get a rakata chest and mainhand and then come into an op with some knowledge about what to expect and how to deal with it. They will be better geared both in armour and in experience.

Not everything is about the gear drops. Stop believing that you require a reward because you ran through a maze and did good. Rats get rewarded for doing that, are you a rat?

The purpose of LI is not to get geared, it's to become experienced handling mechanics that aren't easily ignored.

LI HM isn't a stepping stone on to the ops, it's meant to be 4 player content to do alongside.

And when you can now gear up to BH without even stepping in an op or buy your way to dread guard level gear purely by spending credits on the GTN who cares if a flashpoint drops a little more?

That's because it's an entirely different situation. You have 8 people in EV and KP. Imagine if you went straight from Kaon to EV, without any idea of having to deal with frequent wipe-causing mechanics. LI HM is a very good bridge, because it makes you get very twitchy and nervous about interrupts and coordinating movements. The point of LI HM is not to get you all geared up in terms of armour, but to actually get you a little bit over cautious for the subsequent operations, so the developers can then increase the difficulty of mechanics in operations and make them exciting as opposed to the traditional FP "tank 'n' spank"

Ugh, no. SM EV is much easier than HM LI.

Yeah, sorry. Not buying it.

Anyone who can't do HM LI but can "do" SM EC is being carried though the operation by others that are actually competent.

I should probably give up posting on this thread. Eventually you and a handful of others are probably going to convince Bioware to nerf HM LI to the point where it isn't fun, and eliminate any chance of more T2 flashpoints being introduced that have any challenge.

Too bad for me, I guess.

No you shouldn't stop posting. In fact, I will come in here regularly and post more often too. HM LI is perfectly balanced for difficulty and gear. We don't need it nerfed, that has already happened. We need more T2 FP's. I'd love to see Hammer Station HM.

But yeah, dont give up the fight Khevar I will fight it with you.

No you shouldn't stop posting. In fact, I will come in here regularly and post more often too. HM LI is perfectly balanced for difficulty and gear. We don't need it nerfed, that has already happened. We need more T2 FP's. I'd love to see Hammer Station HM.

I'll say this.

If anyone thinks HM LI is too hard and needs a nerf / gear increase, and you are on Begeren Colony, myself and/or some of my friends would be happy to take you through it, give you pointers and some training, to the end where you feel like you've mastered it and it wasn't quite as hard as you thought.

I say this in all seriousness. One of the people in my group has personally taught dozens of players how to do HM LI. I've myself have taken 3 people through HM LI who had never been able to get past LR-5 before (it was a melee group too). One of the Shadows I brought through is now an expert and she teaches others how to do the flashpoint.

Written strategies can be unclear. Even videos sometimes don't prepare you properly. We'll get in mumble and talk you through it.

PLEASE people. If you think it's unbalanced for the gear it drops (3 Columi + Rakata Chest + Columi MH) you're just not doing it right. A little training will bring you through it.

The alternative is to take the only challenging flashpoint in the game and trivialize it, either by making it too easy, or encouraging "the only way to do HM LI is massively overgear it"

You can reach me through PM.

Edit: And to be clear, I'm not some super expert in this game. I haven't finished HM TfB, I haven't finished NM EC. I'm a decent player, not a fantastic player. It doesn't take a server-first-16-man-NM-EC-professional to be able to do HM LI without overgearing it.

Edited by Khevar

How is it perfectly balanced when the 2 bosses are clearly more difficult than Revan and Mentor but they drop the same stuff?

How is it perfectly balanced when the 2 bosses are clearly more difficult than Revan and Mentor but they drop the same stuff?

Because those two bosses fall in the same instance and can be cleared to far, far quicker. Ergo the loot is significantly more farm-able.

Because those two bosses fall in the same instance and can be cleared to far, far quicker. Ergo the loot is significantly more farm-able.

This is an excellent point.

Also Slowpokeking is focusing a lot on individual boss encounters vs the flashpoint as a whole. On Directive 7 you fight the Mentor Assassin Droids, Interrogator, Bulwark and Asssembler before you get to Mentor. Once 1.6 drops and everyone gets a free set of Tionese, all four of those bosses' loot tables will be completely irrelevant to anyone's gear progression.

Factually, only the last boss in ANY T1 HM FP will have have a chance of being an upgrade for a player running it.

It seems my point has been missed...

LI is not overly difficult, i was not in anyway asking for a nerf. I am happy to say i was farming this pre-1.4 nerfs and still am today for the BH comms from Rakghoul conflicts weekly.

For the difficulty of this Flashpoint, i feel it should drop better loot than just columi pieces that you can get in another significantly "easier" Hardmode Flashpoint, its a tier 2 FP why is it dropping tier 1 gear? In my opinion a rakata chest piece and the columi mainhand is a bit of a tease for downing Lorrick.

I do realize each boss drops a different columi piece, but if you want to have any sort of chance completeing this FP your probably full columi or better. To those that say they can do this in full tionese gear, please have a video showing your gear makeup being tionese and a video of each boss down :).

It seems my point has been missed...

To those that say they can do this in full tionese gear, please have a video showing your gear makeup being tionese and a video of each boss down :).

There's a vid of that early in the thread.

It's also been done in full Recruit gear.