Are you guys enjoying Character Transfers?

Anysao

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol so many whiners about the destination servers. Why does it matter? If you get transfered to a serverthat ensures a strong population why should it matter? Let's be honest if bioware gave everyone an option people would probbly spread out and we would have the same problem on our hands. Herd everyone into 5 huge servers for pve and pvp and it will solve the issues. Bioware is doing a good job with this imo.

Simple. Going from what was a fairly well populated server where you could always find a group to a server where our character names are already taken and some of our legacy names are taken where it really isn't a choice because there are now 25 people on Fleet at peak when there were previously 200+ people on Fleet in the middle of the day isn't a choice - it's essentially a forced transfer. At least, if you want to ever play the game with anyone but yourself after today. In short, many people are affected and being forced/VERY strongly encouraged to move when there was no real need before today to do so.

I didn't ask to be put on the origin server I was. I didn't ask to be essentially forced to go to this server but if I want to play with anyone - ever again after today, I must transfer.

In transferring, I lose the name of my main (which I have had since closed beta - not weekend beta - and was one of the very first people let in during the staggered launch) and more than half of my alts. Several of my guild lose ALL of their names. I lose my legacy name as well. So characters I have developed over the course of a year (before the game even launched), I have to re-work because someone thought it would be a great idea to move a fairly decently populated server and to advertise that transfer every ten minutes as a system message, thereby STRONGLY encouraging all players to transfer.

Now, I'm absolutely positive there is a valid reason for the strong advocacy by BioWare for the transfer of players from my server - which was almost always "heavy" at peak times and usually "standard" at off-peak times. I don't wish to argue that point. I am, however, of the opinion that it was reasonably poorly enacted. In my opinion, the player who first selected the character name and legacy name should get to keep it. What that means is that if the player on the destination server selected my main's name or my legacy name even 5 minutes before me, they should get to keep it - I don't care if their character is level 5 to my main's level 50. First come, first served in terms of names, regardless of character level, game edition (CE, DDE, SE - shouldn't matter) is, in my opinion, the only fair way to handle that issue. But opinions are a dime a dozen: we all have one and some of them are terrible. That's why we are not in charge of the games we love to play. ;)

In terms of queues, good lord, we've all sat through worse than 10-15 minutes. I keep my Nook next to my PC for just that sort of occasion. It's not a crisis. Go make a cup of tea/cocoa/whatever makes you happy and enjoy the brief break.

About to try Drooga's Pleasure Barge. I'll report back and give you guys skinny on the population over there.
I'd like to chime in if I may. I transferred my main from Mask of Nihilus to Drooga's and it was PACKED. Almost 300 in fleet, 75 on Korriban and 85 in Dromund Kaas. Groups were filling up fast and at least 6 guilds were actively recruiting in chat. 3 more guilds from Mask who transferred were also recruiting from its Facebook page. If 1.3's LFG tool doesn't wonk this could be really good. Like shoes, name's can be replaced. Edited by GalacticKegger

I am pissed. It seems that my server is being phased out... which wouldn't be a problem if I COULD transfer.. but I'm sorry I care about my character's names and I know 100% that my names are probably taken on almost every other server...

EDIT: Yep just checked..> Rubat Crystal can only transfer to Ebon Hawk... nevermind I have characters there already, but I tried checking my 4 character names on Rubat Crystal and are all 4 unavailable.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

The transfers were without troubles. I had to change some char names, my son had to change char names and legacy. But I am happy, since I got to 50 I was unable to pvp, 45+ days without pvp. Yesterday I joined battle in seconds, I did 3 in a row, my first lvl 50 pvp warzones after almost 2 months! On my old server there was 2-5 ppl on space station at all times, yesterday there were 178 players on station. Yes I am very happy. Good work BW.

This is my goodbye. I cant believe that there is even an issue of wether or not you are "Eligible" to transfer. my server is dead and im stranded there bacause apparently, "Port Nowhere" is gonna stay that way. Enuf of this crap, im cancelling my subscription. See Bioware? you guys are just gonna keep driving players away with your timid attitude about this. It took Blizzard 7 years to finally wear me out. you guys did it in 6 months. Bravo! Edited by Ripyouapart

The transfer itself was very efficient, all my characters transferred from the Arkanian Legacy to the Red Eclipse instantly. Clearly it was going to be a bit of a one-off with 250+ players in the fleet but it was good to be on a large population server.

However, the existing players on destinations need to realise we're not an influx of new players to the game (just the server). The spam of guild adverts taking the entire chat window was pretty severe and I quickly made a large ignore list although I'm sure the players are probably normally very nice.

Made me think if there aren't actual moderators playing the game then automated limits on reposting the same thing need to be applied. Although I hope it'll calm down.

After night one all we did was re-establish ourselves as a guild trying to make sure we got as many members invited as we could.

After 2 days my server became available for transferring off so I did, got all my chars off and only had to rename one and got to keep my Legacy name.

I can handle the waitingtime to get on a server, all the complaining from people they could not enter their original server is what got us in this mess of too many light servers in the first place...let's not remain stuck in a rut and complain all over again...

I'd say about 70% (not enjoying)

and 30% Yes (enjoying)

I'm glad some people can get off their dead servers and come to servers like mine (The Fatman) to have more people to play with, but bejeebus we are back to like week 1 with all the "I hate this game...WoW is better...X faction sucks..." Its a never ending new loop of noob tard talk. I can see being bitter about being on a dead server for so long, but if you still hate it with HUNDREDS on the fleet at all hours mostly then log off and go *** to a crochet live stream or something.

I guess its just too bad that the people that stuck around on some of these dead servers until now are the ones that probably drove the other players off to begin with. We should have made a Tard Island server that was like an in-between like Survivor server where players could be voted off until a transfer was available. At least there is a boat-load full of players in wzs now that were super good on their 26 player server and now are renaming their toon to CorpseALot.

This seems to be a Fatman community issue more then anything. The vibe and comments from huge majority in general chat on defacto West Coast PvP server The Bastion is overwhelmingly positive. Seems like many are enjoying the transfers here. More then anything, chat was about ramping up guild activities like recruitment and general banter like reconnecting with people.

I'm just curious how much longer I'm gonna have to wait for the server transfer... I keep checking everyday and hoping that I see Twin Spears on that list .. I know I'm being impatient but I wanna do some warzones so badly !

Very smooth and painless transfer. I like it a lot but it could have been done months ago to save some subscriptions. Hopefully people will comeback or the game gets bigger now that this has been implemented. So far I have done a HM Raid and FP which on my old server would have been agonizing to party up for. Thanks but next time listen to your community alot sooner bioware.

I am frustrated. When I subscribed to this game in December, I read online about the queues to log on to the high population servers, so I selected a relatively low pop server. You can see where this is going. The population dropped and the server died. I re rolled on a server where my freinds were, It died but at least I was able to level to 50 before I quit in frustration.

I did some more reading on the forums, there were many subscribers begging for mergers or transfers. The only answer from Bioware and the more cynical members of the community was: "Tough, re-roll on a higher population server." So I did that, leveled a character to 50 and began enjoying end game content with a great new guild.

Then one day, I see on my logon screen: FREE SERVER TRANSFERS NOW AVAILABLE! Then I land in fleet and see hundreds of new transfers arriving on my new server, some looking for guilds others re forming their old guilds and looking for new members. HOORAY BIOWARE!

I get an email from Bioware notifying me that several of my character are available for transfer! HOORAY BIOWARE! .....

AND HALT!

What? I can only transfer them to the server you selected? What about the server I am currently playing on, you know the one you are transferring hundreds of characters to right now? I can't go there? OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY?

So I am stuck again. I understand the need to restrict transfers to allow servers to build to an appropriate population. I understand that this is merely a first step. However I, and hundreds if not thousands of other players who refused to give up on this game, who abandoned months of gaming in an effort to continue to enjoy this game, continue to be frustrated by this process.

This seems to me to be a foolish business decision on Bioware's part. I want to be able to transfer my eligible characters to a server where I already have character that Bioware has ALSO selected to receive transfers. This does not seem to be an unreasonable request. And at the very least should be the next step in this process.

I just do not understand why bioware didnt do the transfers in the exact fashion everyone wants. Every variation. It should have been so easy to make everyone happy. So a message to bioware:

Please make transfers happen yesterday. Please move everyone to a server with the exact population they want. Please use your magic 8 ball to know exactly how many people will transfer. Please look at every account and make sure the account does not already have characters on 9 different servers. Please after looking at every combination possible, make the magic data migration program move everyone flawlessly. Please, for the love of god, let everyone keep their names. Because without those, how will they know who they are?

And lastly, and most importantly, please make sure that all of these people that love this game soooooooo much they can not live without it do not un-subscribe.

I am incredibly frustrated right now by this whole process.

Let me preface this by saying I love this game, but the total lack of communication when it comes to server transfers is very aggravating to say the least. Let me give you a little background.

Pre Beta

I signed up for this game, on the website, on the day it was released a year before launch, created a guild name and then proceeded to recruit everyone I knew from all the previous mmo's I have played (mxo,swg,wow,rift). We ended up bieng 60 people strong.

Beta

When the game was in beta we had 4 guild members in the full beta and 20 in the weekend beta's all submitting bugs and trying our best to help make this game a success, After swg this was our last ability to play a star wars mmo as a guild.

Launch

When the game launched our full guild put ourselves into leveling and operations and pvp, We dealt with the bugs and I was the voice of reason (being a developer myself) saying how it is fine, this is a complicated system and it will take time, enjoy what you can and know they will fix the issues. and it worked for a while.

The server populations dry up

So as time went on we were a guild who pretty much did operations and most of our guild was decked in full Rakata gear and we would run ops twice a week and were enjoying ourselves. But as the population dried up so did our ability to run operations, eventually we were 5 guild members strong actively playing this game. I had three level 50's on the imperial side fully decked out in top tier ops gear that I could do really, nothing with. There weren't enough people to pug an operations and allot of our guild had grown bored and listless due to lack of content. I never faulted Bioware for this as I understand how games are built and how long it takes to get and put new content out.

We become refugees

So there we were, the last 4 members of our guild looking to me to help solve a problem I couldn't. How to enjoy the game on a server where we could run nothing. So we put our heads together and decided to reroll. It was our only option, so off to Fatman where I ended up with another three level republic 50's all battlemasters. A lttle frustrating since I had recently passed my legacy level 36 on Fatman but no access to my original unlocks or characters.

The Plot Sickens

Now Bioware rolls out Server Transfers, they throw words around like "Super Servers" and I get excited all over again. But no information comes out, The three players that are left call a guild meeting and get everyone excited, we might end up bieng able to merge our characters and bring the guild back on a populated "Super Server". And for the last two days I have waited with baited breath, mapping out the server transfers watching carefully as servers are transfered to Fatman and I watch twitter all day, No Terentak Transfer...

Custer had a better chance at success

I wake up today and PVP East Servers are getting put to a new server, so now there is little chance I can actually rejoin my characters into one server and thus all the crap I have been laying out to my guild makes me look like an idiot because we can't get word one out of Bioware on transfers and whatever the plan is, looks like it doesn't matter because I am going to end up with characters that are on two different servers again.

Thank you bioware, At the very least you could have put out a solution or something that would have helped us earlier to know what was going to happen, I know I'm not the only one who is in this situation and now the solution you have offered though good to some, is not good to those of us with characters on a server that we really could care less about.

What is the plan ? , Whats going on?

What the hell am I supposed to do.

Edited by darthsporkk
reworded some so it made sense

This seems to be a Fatman community issue more then anything. The vibe and comments from huge majority in general chat on defacto West Coast PvP server The Bastion is overwhelmingly positive. Seems like many are enjoying the transfers here. More then anything, chat was about ramping up guild activities like recruitment and general banter like reconnecting with people.

Agree completely! I transferred to The Bastion yesterday and played with a very fun PUG doing the 1st Flashpoint that I've been able to do in about 2 months(due to never being able to find a team on Dark Reaper)! Most everyone in general seemed really happy with their newfound Imp Cohorts.

Loving the new home!

I've joined a new server (several new servers, actually), and still no one wants to run a regular FP. It's like I'm back on Terentatek all over again. Why again, did I leave, when no is willing to run me through it or group up and work together on a more populated server? It's really frustrating to see that a higher population doesn't really do anything for non-50s. Edited by DarthEccen

Well, having transferred back in April let me tell you how it will go.

First couple weeks, so many people you might even have sever queues.

Next couple weeks, it will slow down.

Then, they will release 1.3, you will get an influx of players.

2 weeks later, your new server will be as dead as your old one. We have seen asia pacific servers go from so full you couldnt log in, to about 30-40 on the fleet. If the D3 servers go down

Posting here in hope some bioware guy read this. I am VERY happy with the transfer, from Keller's Void to Jedi Covenant. There are many things that I disagree with, but that was the right thing to do. Huge thank you for this.