The flip side of toxic attitudes

-Bob-

Most people complain about the toxic attitudes of PVP (mainly ranked) and rightfully so, no one wants to play on a verbally abusive team, that just goes for any arena of life whether it be a job, school, game, sports.

The flip side of that Caustic personality is the complacent player who is happy losing matches as long as he/she has fun, but fun is subjective and we're on each others team so when you're having fun losing, chances are..i am not. I am going to leave the match, thats just a fact like it or not. You might complain about people leaving matches and propose a penalty for that but you're no better than a dev by asking for a band aid on a sucking chest wound. You need to try and understand the real issue and fix the problem at the source. The source being players who do not care enough to try. They aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn their class or the objectives. They dont have any situational awareness and break CCs/fail to plant/etc etc... Thats all good and fine if effort isn't in your rotation but dont expect anyone who enjoys taking their PVP games seriously to stick with you.

The 70 reg pops on Harb are decent right now but i think as more and more people get frustrated with their *complacent* teams you're going to see more competent 4 mans in warzones to counter the careless team mates which in turn may result in less people who solo Q joining matches, both competent and complacent,.. eventually mirroring other servers that have seen all but total death of PVP.

My point is, players who dont care much about WZs are just as guilty of bringing down the community as the Toxic Elitists that so many complain about. yin and yang, one cannot exist without the other.

Yes i know, i typed a big ol diatribe of useless text to make one pointless point, but thats what beer does to ya sometimes.

get it together already.

I don't mind people playing for fun that happen to be bad, as long as they are tryhards. What I do mind are the people that queue and do literally nothing but stand and die because they are PvE scrubs in it to just farm CXP and UC. I have had this happen enough times that now if it is imp/imp I just ask the other team to come kill them to try and end the match in under 2 mins, because screw those guys.

I've had more fun recently pvping on EH than Harb recently. There is less rage going on over there than Harb as well lol. I really wish they would make a reg arena solo/group queue so players could get use to arenas before jumping into ranked.

I don't mind people playing for fun that happen to be bad, as long as they are tryhards. What I do mind are the people that queue and do literally nothing but stand and die because they are PvE scrubs in it to just farm CXP and UC. I have had this happen enough times that now if it is imp/imp I just ask the other team to come kill them to try and end the match in under 2 mins, because screw those guys.

This is the issue. These people q ranked as well. On top of this there are a lot of trolls in ranked and some of them even act like they are trying occasionally. It has gotten a lot worse this season as well. That is why there is a lot less patience in ranked than there used to be (not that there was ever a huge amount of patience). You may be a noob just q'n 1 or 2 times but you may be just another troll. We don't know and it is frustrating.

On top of this there are a lot of complete trolls like the naked sorcs on Harb and if you come out of a couple games of them throwing and then get a 110k jug tank you will tell that jug tank to never q ranked again and it is understandable.

Also, grow some balls. If you q ranked you should be able to take some hate if you **** up. You can trash talk them back (what I do) but don't worry about it afterwards. In high paying jobs there is a lot of drama as well. It is life, grow up snowflakes.

This is the issue. These people q ranked as well. On top of this there are a lot of trolls in ranked and some of them even act like they are trying occasionally. It has gotten a lot worse this season as well. That is why there is a lot less patience in ranked than there used to be (not that there was ever a huge amount of patience). You may be a noob just q'n 1 or 2 times but you may be just another troll. We don't know and it is frustrating.

On top of this there are a lot of complete trolls like the naked sorcs on Harb and if you come out of a couple games of them throwing and then get a 110k jug tank you will tell that jug tank to never q ranked again and it is understandable.

Also, grow some balls. If you q ranked you should be able to take some hate if you **** up. You can trash talk them back (what I do) but don't worry about it afterwards. In high paying jobs there is a lot of drama as well. It is life, grow up snowflakes.

I agree with you, you need a thick skin for dealing with those kinda people who will rip on you. And you're right, they're just words, sticks and stones all that happy horsecrap.

Problem is, something those really toxic A-holes go back to fleet and just start flaming the hell out of whoever the poor bastard was who got the ire in that match and they just don't let it go at that. Sometimes it continues, day after day and in their clicky 'I'm so friggen leet' haze of stupidity they make a thing of ripping on certain people in perpetuity. Just like bullies in school. That's a bit more than people should have to deal with over a video game.

Right, wrong or otherwise, and I say this as a recommendation to people who might find themselves in such a situation, you need to rip them back. Just like a bully in school. Thing about bullies, they very seldom like to get punched in the face themselves. It may take you a few times, and you might get roughed up a bit, but they don't want to deal with people who fight back, because one day, their victim is gonna land a good blow and knock them flat on their ***. And when that happens, doesn't matter if it was just a lucky shot, the second their *** hit's the floor, that's it. Their days as a bully are over. When people see other people standing up to them and getting away with it, that emboldens people.

Agreed. Grow some balls and 'hit back' [obviously you can only use words here, which is the problem with MMOS, that you can't hit people]. That's the only thing they understand.

It's a cliche' I know, but it's a good one. Don't take crap from anyone for any reason, always always always hit back.

No one ever died from a fat lip, or a scorching comment.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

"naked sorcs"

LMFAO

(wall of text)...

I agree with this. Both type of attitudes are a problem. Was in a huttball last night. We kept it a reasonable game - lost 3 to 6. We were giving what we got for a while, but we had 2 AFKrs, and eventually 6 v 8 just overtook our effort. If those other two people had actually contributed at all it might have been a really good game. :(

Most people complain about the toxic attitudes of PVP (mainly ranked) and rightfully so, no one wants to play on a verbally abusive team, that just goes for any arena of life whether it be a job, school, game, sports.

The flip side of that Caustic personality is the complacent player who is happy losing matches as long as he/she has fun, but fun is subjective and we're on each others team so when you're having fun losing, chances are..i am not. I am going to leave the match, thats just a fact like it or not. You might complain about people leaving matches and propose a penalty for that but you're no better than a dev by asking for a band aid on a sucking chest wound. You need to try and understand the real issue and fix the problem at the source. The source being players who do not care enough to try. They aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn their class or the objectives. They dont have any situational awareness and break CCs/fail to plant/etc etc... Thats all good and fine if effort isn't in your rotation but dont expect anyone who enjoys taking their PVP games seriously to stick with you.

The 70 reg pops on Harb are decent right now but i think as more and more people get frustrated with their *complacent* teams you're going to see more competent 4 mans in warzones to counter the careless team mates which in turn may result in less people who solo Q joining matches, both competent and complacent,.. eventually mirroring other servers that have seen all but total death of PVP.

My point is, players who dont care much about WZs are just as guilty of bringing down the community as the Toxic Elitists that so many complain about. yin and yang, one cannot exist without the other.

Yes i know, i typed a big ol diatribe of useless text to make one pointless point, but thats what beer does to ya sometimes.

get it together already.

I saw a paragraph. I didn't read it but I still replied. It's -Bob- so I assume it's just nonsense.

So you give up b/c they give up? Way to inspire your fellow players! You've inspired me to try even less now.

The irony of that statement isn't lost on me, but assuredly it's lost on you.

A lot of things are lost on you. You still believe I use both KS and TR when I only use the latter. I ignored you in game for a reason, it's because I feel a brain cell commit suicide every time I have exchanged words with you.

(Brain Cell hangs itself)

Goodbye Felicia.

Edited by MercenaryPlayer

A lot of things are lost on you. You still believe I use both KS and TR when I only use the latter. I ignored you in game for a reason, it's because I feel a brain cell commit suicide every time I have exchanged words with you.

(Brain Cell hangs itself)

Goodbye Felicia.

You lost me at Felicia. I'm not sure if that's some sort of sarcasm or not. If nothing else, that's definitely lost on me =]

If you think my name is felicia than you are thinking of the wrong Grim.

If you are Craig, you use KS and TR. Unless we are both thinking the other is someone other than who we thought they were. To clear that possibility up, [The first 3 letters of your name in game are 'Inn'].

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

So you give up b/c they give up? Way to inspire your fellow players! You've inspired me to try even less now.

This isn't even a 1/10 as far as trolling goes. Hint: trolling needs to look like you're plausibly not just taking the piss to be effective.

get it together already.

This is very true. But I think the source of the problem is the Devs themselves. For so long now they have been "twisting people's arms or making them do pvp" in order to get achievements or rewards for pve content. In theory the idea has merit to get more people to try pvp, but it's never implemented properly or they never think it through to the logical conclusion, which is you can't make people like something if they aren't interested. Pve people who don't want to do pvp will not try and will be complacent. It's human nature if you aren't interested in something and you only want the reward, to not try or care.

I'm all for them encouraging people to pvp, I think it's good for the community to get new blood. But you can't make someone like pvp if they don't want to play it and making them do it only ruins the experience for people who do try.

I'm not sure what the solution is exactly to get a balance of both. It's been suggested "over the last 5 years" to change the medal system to actually reward people for "trying" and "contribution" to the team. Farming numbers seems to be the only focus these days and the only measure of how good you are. But it's rigged because some classes will always out dps others because of the spec. That doesn't show how good the player actually is, especially if they have 2-3 healers all match and all they have to do is a pve dummy parse rotation to maximise damage. Medals really mean nothing in their current format and they aren't customised for each type of pvp. ie, Hutt Ball should have a completely different set of medals than say, Nova Coast or civil war. If they tied the rewards and incentives to medals that actually represented their actual game play and contribution, then that would be the "stick" to the "carrot" reward system, instead of the "carrot" only reward system.

What compounds the whole situation is the more people playing who don't want to be there, the worse the new players become who might be interested because they don't have enough people to show them the right way to play.

I've seen noobs (not just newbies) who try giving tactics that will never work or are so old that a 4 year old could counter them. When you try to offer different tactics or strategy, they argue with you and tell you to L2P 🙄.. these are people who have been pvping for a week and seen the other noobs saying the same thing.. so all of a sudden they are instant experts. On top of that, no one else communicates before a match or if they do, no one listens. ie, don't all go cap the pylon in Hypergates and if you cap it, don't run off. 🙄.. play the ball in Hutt Ball, support the carrier and attack theirs 🙄.. call incs in Void star even if you die 🙄.. don't all leave a node if someone calls 1 inc 🙄.. don't all keep grinding a node we don't have against 2 defenders when we own 2 and we are out numbered at the ones we have 🙄..

I could keep listing them, we've all seen and experienced this and it's frustrating as hell.. Then add the actual elitists who say regs don't matter and run all over the place doing watch ever as well as saying who cares it's only regs and you have this whole new generation of pvpers not learning how to play properly and learning bad habits.

The systems a mess and it really does go back to a lot of bad decisions the Devs have made. ie, removing 8 man ranked for 4 man death match as the only competitive pvp. Adding conquest, adding companion rewards, CXP grind.. etc.. there a lot and these are only a few.

I never give up even if it's me vs 8 because my whole team has gone to sit at the node. I would rather leave a match than give up.

But I also ask the other team to go farm all the people who have given up and sitting at the node to make the match end faster or even better to teach them a lesson that giving up won't stop them from getting attacked.

As far as I'm concerned, The people who give up because the other team is better need the practice and should keep going even if they get ground to a pulp.

If I see a team I'm against just give up, I will head straight to them and even 1 v 8 to make them fight. If I die because it's 1 v 8 then so be it. But usually I can get a few of my team to come help.

Giving up is for wimps, if they have to give up then they shouldn't be in pvp and should get zero rewards for giving up.

Edited by Icykill_

LOL YEA! Grow a pair snowflakes! lol If you are in a "ranked" match and you have 110k hp as a tank or healer and get some hate, what did you expect? seriously, did you think ppl would welcome you with open arms? go do regs first to get some more gear or augments then come back. If ppl are that sensitive that they can't take some criticism then stay in regs where no one cares what gear you have, or how you perform. When 1 person is the direct cause of 3 other people losing....well, what did you expect?

I agree with this. Both type of attitudes are a problem. Was in a huttball last night. We kept it a reasonable game - lost 3 to 6. We were giving what we got for a while, but we had 2 AFKrs, and eventually 6 v 8 just overtook our effort. If those other two people had actually contributed at all it might have been a really good game. :(

I see this all the time. Or worse, you get behind in score and 3 players quit. I mean, ***? The only time I quit a game - at the beginning - is if >50% of the team is FOTM classes. So these days, if I'm playing Huttball And see 4 or more mers/commandos (and I have several times) on either team (not 4 total game, but 4 on either team), I'll leave the game. A couple of years ago is was sorcs. Same rule.

I once had a 3v3 pop a year or so ago: I was playing my mara and 2 sorcs joined the game with me. I thought "easy win". Except (you guessed it) Pubs, 1 guardian and 2 sages. I stayed in the game because I was curious what would happen. First time I ever say a game time out.

Edited by cagthehack

I saw a paragraph. I didn't read it but I still replied. It's -Bob- so I assume it's just nonsense.

I saw a wimpy little sentence and thought, well this guy probably doesn't know English very well so it's probably nonsense.

I see this all the time. Or worse, you get behind in score and 3 players quit. I mean, ***? The only time I quit a game - at the beginning - is if >50% of the team is FOTM classes. So these days, if I'm playing Huttball And see 4 or more mers/commandos (and I have several times) on either team (not 4 total game, but 4 on either team), I'll leave the game. A couple of years ago is was sorcs. Same rule.

I once had a 3v3 pop a year or so ago: I was playing my mara and 2 sorcs joined the game with me. I thought "easy win". Except (you guessed it) Pubs, 1 guardian and 2 sages. I stayed in the game because I was curious what would happen. First time I ever say a game time out.

Yup, I know that feeling. You see that 4 man sorc heal premade just yanking everyone arond and cross healing. They could all be dps it doesn't even matter. They just save each other like British soldiers in a line, one fires everything, gets weakened, gets pulled to the back and the next one freshwith force and life moves forward. They usually just sit in a line and cross heal each other. When you have 600 force and spammable heal that can hit easily 15k each time...it was such a joke and still is. Everytime I saw a wave a sages running out of the zone, their tiny sabers flopping about unused because the Gods saw favor in them and realize sorcs no longer needed lightsabers to be the best Jedi in the world. To be honest I quit for over half a year twice during the sorc heal madness. I hate the gear, and alot of of things about 5.0....but people act like balance is the worst now...no..it was worse with 3-4 heal sages every warzone with 3-4 skank tanks. I had a screenshot somewhere of like 15 sage/sorc and I was the only operative on a novare and I had the highest dmg....lol. (They were all heals so I just threw one frag grenade and quit)

One of the best (by which I mean most entertaining) AHG matches I have been in had a 4-sorc sorcpack premade on our team. It was hilarious.

In 1.0 and 2.0 I had a group of friends we would run around in packs of 4 snipers. We would literally destroy everyone. We played Engineer and Poison. I remember one time as poison we'd get all our dots on the person and prepare to cull and they would die. It made me lol...we'd spam plasma probe even then as engineering. I remember I would make a hybrid eng/lethality to get a 3 dot cull all the time. Idk class stacking has always been strong. Snipers in groups are insane ever since launch.