Larger scale Warzones?

MithusTorrent

I've seen it done in other games so naturally I'd like to see it in SWTOR, something like a large map for example on Tatooine, where players from each faction fight for control of outpost, or space stations, etc... and gain points as they hold them, then it could reset each week, I imagine this could go nice with conquest possibly?

If this is the wrong thread for this feel free to correct me :)

I've seen it done in other games so naturally I'd like to see it in SWTOR, something like a large map for example on Tatooine, where players from each faction fight for control of outpost, or space stations, etc... and gain points as they hold them, then it could reset each week, I imagine this could go nice with conquest possibly?

Correct forum.

Sadly, this is an idea that fails every time they try it. In fact they just tried it again (Iokath open-world PvP), and it failed already. Again. Though having actual goals as you suggest might help.

Unfortunately, the PvE crowd gets mad and shouts down suggestions to add incentives for open-world PvP. A few of us suggested it as a way to fix the Iokath failure, and sure enough, the PvE folks got irrationally angry:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=919386

Edited by stoopicus

Correct forum.

Sadly, this is an idea that fails every time they try it. In fact they just tried it again (Iokath open-world PvP), and it failed already. Again. Though having actual goals as you suggest might help.

Unfortunately, the PvE crowd gets mad and shouts down suggestions to add incentives for open-world PvP. A few of us suggested it as a way to fix the Iokath failure, and sure enough, the PvE folks got irrationally angry:

I see, well hopefully the new guy in charge, Keith, would consider something like that. :)

Also the engine won't handle it. :(

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by large scale. Quite a while ago, when there were actual PvP server, some organized a few large scale battles. I remember on the order of 50 (I want to say 100, but that seems way to large now-a-days) people showing up on either side. It was glorious! Until people started firing off abilities. Then it became a slide show for people with hefty rigs, and a painting for people with average rigs (like mine - literally, the I'd be dead before the screen would repaint). :(

Also the engine won't handle it. :(

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by large scale. Quite a while ago, when there were actual PvP server, some organized a few large scale battles. I remember on the order of 50 (I want to say 100, but that seems way to large now-a-days) people showing up on either side. It was glorious! Until people started firing off abilities. Then it became a slide show for people with hefty rigs, and a painting for people with average rigs (like mine - literally, the I'd be dead before the screen would repaint). :(

This is the swtor engine anytime they try to do anything useful to the game.

http://hdabob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/linder_engine_fire.sized-300x225.jpg

It could be fun if done correctly.

I really liked Wintergrasp in WoW when WOTLK was first released. I know lots of people hated it but i thought it was fun and the controlling faction had access to both PVE and PVP content.

If a similar idea were implemented in SWTOR with a new and improved Game engine and the content was well designed, it could be fun.

Nothing but what ifs though.

Iokath is their attempt. Only problem is there is no incentive to be there and you can avoid pvp completely.

Only real way to make a new idea work is making it give out more rewards than other options of places to be.

Iokath is their attempt. Only problem is there is no incentive to be there and you can avoid pvp completely.

Only real way to make a new idea work is making it give out more rewards than other options of places to be.

I suspect they released it without a lot of rewards so people could mess around and try to abuse mechanics. The Iokath mats used to craft 246's aren't out yet, and i'd wager PvP on Iokath would be one way to obtain them.

Edited by Eli_Porter

I suspect they released it without a lot of rewards so people could mess around and try to abuse mechanics. The Iokath mats used to craft 246's aren't out yet, and i'd wager PvP on Iokath would be one way to obtain them.

I suspect they released it because they got nothing better going, ideas-wise, that would not disrupt Galactic Crapshoot. They are still suffering from the sunk costs fallacy when it comes to Galactic Command, and are scared to do anything major to upset it until 6.0.

As an experiment, I went back to Iokath last night to see if I could stir up some trouble in the OWPvP instance.

There was only one PvP instance.

I was the only player in it.

Good times.

Edited by stoopicus

Hmm maybe if it was more rewarding it'd be more popular :p

I Was thinking something more along the lines of what gw2 has with it's Wvwvw, though probably not nearly as large, but pvp objectives only, so pve people aren't forced into it. I could still see this going well with conquest though the larger guilds might dominate it depending on how it's done.

I suspect they released it because they got nothing better going, ideas-wise, that would not disrupt Galactic Crapshoot. They are still suffering from the sunk costs fallacy when it comes to Galactic Command, and are scared to do anything major to upset it until 6.0.

As an experiment, I went back to Iokath last night to see if I could stir up some trouble in the OWPvP instance.

There was only one PvP instance.

I was the only player in it.

Good times.

So much this. ^

I use the PvP instance to wait for WZ pops and gather mats. It's the place where you're guaranteed not to see anyone else farming. no-one even to team up with.- So I get the place to myself. - Kinda Ironic really.

GG BW. GG.

Correct forum.

They need something like Restuss open world pvp back in SWG... a big giant city where ppl can brawl with npcs, with boundary limits where people could try and run away and turn off being flagged for pvp. I remember the epic chases through player made cities as someone would try and flag off there pvp with 12 ppl chasing them down, trying to cut them off and blow up there speeder and nail them before the cooldown back to PvE mode. It made for some hilarious moments and made open world pvp ridiculously fun.

This whole "pvp / pve" instance is crap. It never worked, never will. If there was a way for ppl to individually flag themselves for pvp, then you can truly have random brawls and spontaneous battles break out outta nowhere, like in SWG days. All it took was 2 or 3 ppl to /pvp and you would see other players /pvp to join in on the gank , OR rescue people from being ganked - it was stupid fun to see someone fighting 2 or 3 players then /pvp to help them out, and watch others around /pvp to help you out, before you know it Mos Eisley would turn into a huge war ground with players on both side trying to help each other out - so awesome man. Super fun times.

And the best part is there was no griefing, because all you had to do was stop flagging for pvp and boom, you were done. No more grief, no more ganking. You could leave in the middle of a battle if you wanted too. Being able to indivually flag yourself for pvp solved so many problems that instances cause (like grieving)

Sigh, it sucks when a game got right so many years ago and yet no one has been able to duplicate it.

Edited by DenariusJay

The short answer is that the engine cannot handle it - get any more than 24 players in one place at the same time and FPS goes in the toilet...even on low settings.

And replacing the engine is not an option, because doing so IS (not "is like"...IS) making a new game.

Well, in GSF there's a lot less being drawn. Something that isn't obvious about space shooters is that compared to ground-based games there's a lot fewer polygons being drawn. Think about the polygon count of another player toon versus one of the GSF ships, or an asteroid versus a bunch of terrain (with grass, etc.) There's also a lot fewer particle effects due to player abilities and so on. Paradoxically, GSF is probably far easier on the engine than normal PvP. Edited by stoopicus

I support this thread. maybe make it a 16v16 large map. that would be epic

I support this thread. maybe make it a 16v16 large map. that would be epic

This is the best option IMO it would likely be managed by the strained Engine to an acceptable degree... I would like to see some larger area WZ's with objectives.

I also think it may be fun to have the base defend and conquer scenario with the ability to loot player kills for a currency that you can use to acquire NPC elite guards for your base.

This would allow more of that team to hit the field etc...Just some ways to ad strategy aspects to the WZs...

I would love it if they did a larger scale warzone. Would make up for the utter lack of World PvP.

I think the best way to avoid the engine crapshoot would be to ensure that the map is just large enough to keep density similar normal warzones. The densest spot from all warzones would either be Hypergate mid during pylon reset, or a Voidstar single-door healerfest. As long as the new large map is optimized to force players into densities similar to that, the performance won't get much worse than what we currently have.