Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is there 2 NA servers? This isn't brain surgery.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there 2 NA servers? This isn't brain surgery.

LD_Little_Dragon's Avatar


LD_Little_Dragon
12.28.2018 , 11:09 AM | #21
Are pops down because of population, or lack of interest in the group activities? I suspect it's lack of interest that's the main problem, which means mergers will do nothing to help the que's.

That and there is still a lot of lag in the game. Every update Bioware adds new 'better' graphics that slow down my game. The lowest graphics settings today are much higher than the lowest settings you could use five years ago.

Ossus is crowded, and I'm not the only one who complains about the lagfest that is the World Boss hunts. Add that to the problems with the lag in PvP, and I suspect server merges will make the problem worse, which means even less people playing the group content.

They should have left the West Coast server up on the West Coast, but it's too late now to change that.

(Before someone says 'just upgrade your computer'; I'm not upgrading to play an 8 year old game. I have plenty of other games in my backlog that work fine.)
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Beyrahl's Avatar


Beyrahl
12.28.2018 , 02:08 PM | #22
SS has been pretty empty up until 5.10 announce. Lot of people coming back and moving around. Regardless if SF is where the "RPers" are, they still PvP, I see it first hand all the time. Along with that, there's some that enjoy it also. Not every RPer is the same and on top of that. There's quite a few that pvp in general that just happen to be there because it's the more lively server. Also JC and SL brought a lot more PvPers in general to SF, so having what little is left on SS merged to isn't going to make a difference imo.

I see no downfalls for merging outside of lag if the servers can't handle all the players.

kodrac's Avatar


kodrac
12.28.2018 , 02:44 PM | #23
PvP queues, or lack of, are a symptom. In order to get gear everyone has to run Ossus dailies for a couple months regardless of playstyle. It isn't necessarily a shrinking population, there is, but more of where the population is at. The devs, in their usual short-sighted glory, have forced a gear grind to extend subscriptions at the expense of everything else.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
You are not some champion of logic, teaching the uninformed about the finer points of the fallacy of argumentation. Nor are you a Community Manager working for Bioware, though at least your prolific posting would be an improvement.

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
12.28.2018 , 02:55 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyTough View Post
Simple. PVP queue times are slowing to a crawl. Ranked PVP queue times are almost non existent. Both servers are out of the same east coast facility. Why are you splitting a player base that isn't large enough to fill one server much less 2? I don't get your logic.


When Harbinger was at its peak it had 6-8 instances of imperial fleet and 4-5 instances of republic fleet every night at peak play time. Sateele Shan is in dire straights and has become more or less of a ghost town even during peak times. SF is a bit better, but having 1-2 instances of fleet peak time its not doing that much better.


Swallow your pride bioware and merge the dam servers. It very frustrating to watch how you people handle this game.
Eventually one will close down. They knew this when they settled on having two in one location. This game will continue to scale down like an aging theme park. The Flashpoint tilt a wheel is already getting dangerous to ride and a few of the Operations Roller Coasters have had lanes close down. The guild ship haunted house is still terrifying, visiting ships that have sat dormant chock full of past conquest decos covered in cobwebs is sure to still send a chill down anyone's spine. Feel free to add to this as I've lost interest in the long load screen.

Yeldah_'s Avatar


Yeldah_
12.28.2018 , 04:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyTough View Post

Do not get mad at me because this game has a queue system designed pvp system without a cross server system. Its not my fault. Your taking your anger out on the wrong person. I'm just saying there is a way to bandage that wound of not having a server to server system by merging the last of only 2 east coast servers.


There is no reason to split the player base at this point. Both servers are east coast and out of the same server base location. This honestly isn't brain surgery like I said in my title. At this point its just people being stubborn, planting their feet in the ground and mindlessly saying NO. Both players and developers. There is no other logic aside from that.
I'm not mad at you pal. I'm mad at Bioware for leaving two servers in one location. Two servers would be fine if they were based in different locations (ie one in California and the other in Virginia). As it is now we have two servers in the same location because Bioware did not have the balls to have one server for fear that it would not be able to take the strain of all the NA players. At the same time they were not prepared to pay for two data centres so they put both servers on the east coast of North America which is straight up the worst decision I have ever seen. I have never asked for a damn merge in the past to "boost queue pops." Merging to boost queue pops is an idiotic short term solution that pleases a few and alienates a lot. At THIS stage however I agree with you; they may as well have one server for North America. It's not what I would prefer, but if cost cutting is the only way forward they may as well go all the way with it.
My silence is not weakness; it is simply the beginning of my revenge.

Yeldah_'s Avatar


Yeldah_
12.28.2018 , 04:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
Er, what? You think *we* had a choice? The devs didn't even tell the playerbase that the servers were both going to be on the east coast until after it was done and a lot of people were and still are very unhappy with it.
Correct, the player base does not get a say in what happens in such situations. Are you not content with the way things have turned out though? Those adversely affected campaigned to get things changed back to no avail. They received negligible support from the rest of the player-base and are now essentially exiles within the game.
My silence is not weakness; it is simply the beginning of my revenge.

Yeldah_'s Avatar


Yeldah_
12.28.2018 , 04:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post

But hey, thanks for calling the NA players greedy for something we had absolutely no say in.
It isn't YOUR greed Elessara. It is Bioware's greed. The east coast players are simply the ones reaping the benefits while everyone else gets the shaft. It's not glamorous; It's the truth.
My silence is not weakness; it is simply the beginning of my revenge.

CrazyTough's Avatar


CrazyTough
12.28.2018 , 09:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
Eventually one will close down. They knew this when they settled on having two in one location. This game will continue to scale down like an aging theme park. The Flashpoint tilt a wheel is already getting dangerous to ride and a few of the Operations Roller Coasters have had lanes close down. The guild ship haunted house is still terrifying, visiting ships that have sat dormant chock full of past conquest decos covered in cobwebs is sure to still send a chill down anyone's spine. Feel free to add to this as I've lost interest in the long load screen.
I just wish they would do it now. A lot of people are leaving the game because of slow queue times.

Scorecard's Avatar


Scorecard
12.29.2018 , 12:54 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyTough View Post
I just wish they would do it now. A lot of people are leaving the game because of slow queue times.
Are you absolutely sure people are leaving the game because of slow queue times or are they leaving because of other reasons and you're just saying it's queue times to fit your narrative? I am not saying that you're wrong, because you could very well be right, but I'd like to see some evidence to backup your claims.

I also like how you went from "demanding" another server merge to playing the victim in one of your replies because PvE'ers & RP'ers do not want their game play experience to impacted the way you want it to. I am not saying PvE'ers & RP'ers aren't toxic because you will find toxicity in any parts of a game, but I have ran into WAY more toxicity from the PvP community than I ever have from the other two communities.

I just resubbed this month. I have been here since day one. I sub when the mood strikes me and take a leave when need be, but I always try to stay up-to-date on what is happening with the game when I am away by reading the forums, SWTOR Reddit, and etc. During my time playing SWTOR, I have been a PvE & PvP player. I like to think of myself as equal parts both as I do not do one more than the other, but since I have been back I have not ventured into a warzone. The reason being is because I am unfamiliar with the new maps(Yavin, Odessen, new Huttball, and etc.) that have been introduced and do not want to encounter any toxicity if I "mess" up. I am not the greatest PvP player by any means, but I am a team player(I call incoming if guarding a node, I assist when a call for help goes out if not guarding, avoid going 1v1, mark & pressure healers, and etc.) who plays the objectives to help the team to succeed, but I see so much toxicity on fleet from PvP'ers against others that it makes me not want to even be a part of it. I can't speak much on solo & group ranked PvP as I have never done those and never will because that seems more toxic than regular PvP.

Sorry for going off on a "tangent." I'm just one player, but until I am given evidence that people are leaving because slow queue times I am going to side with the PvE & RP communities on this topic because my experience tells me people are not PvP'ing or leaving the game because of other reasons.
Squadron 367

TalleraLane's Avatar


TalleraLane
12.29.2018 , 09:25 AM | #30
It's not brain surgery to understand why either. Which was said at the time of the merge. Forum posters like you are just not worth my time.
Bye