The Black Talon and the Fate of its Crew w/o the Captain

I was doing the Black Talon recently and killed the Captain. However, I was nice to the crew and picked choices that made it clear I had no intent to harm them (to try something different). As the FP progressed there were no comments in the conversations on the bridge from the crewmen like that one ensign saying, "Please don't kill us", nor did Sylas need to kill the troopers who mutinied. It seemed like everyone was fine and no one was afraid of me. There was no hint that the crew was unnerved.

But in the end they all died. Has the other dialog I alluded to been stripped for some reason and that's just how it is now? The crew all dying just seems out of nowhere and nonsensical without the other fearful comments throughout the FP. Why remove those comments and make it seem like the crew didn't fear you if the end result is exactly the same?

Is there a way to kill the Captain without the crew going crazy in the end?

Edited by Dayshadow

If you play as someone who manages to convince the crew that as long as they follow orders they are fine (had no idea it's possible, btw, what class it was?), do not forget about that droid with a very interesting functions (it lists them at the start and ready to poison your char if you are not respectful to Kilran in the end). And in case of mutiny - I was thinking that it's pretty strange that everyone dies and there are no survivors... except that droid.

So, I guess it's the butler who did it.

That ending makes no sense without the accompanying dialog throughout which foreshadows it. Typically when you do this and use more aggressive comments there is additional dialog were it's clear that crewmembers are scared you are going to murder them. But in the case of making kind comments reassuring the crew that they won't share Orzik's fate those crew reactions are non-existent. To then, out of the blue, have them all go apes--t and kill each other is out of place and narratively inconsistent. Basically you lose dialog, but gain nothing from it. If the end result is the same no matter what after killing the Captain then they shouldn't remove the dialog that foreshadows it.

It's as if there was another outcome in which they don't mutiny, but it was cut. I guess in typical Bioware fashion there can be no positive to any type of "evil" action and no negative to any "good" action.

• 5 years later...
I always assumed that the droid massacred them all and then made up the story about the mutiny to cover it. No one witnessed it to prove otherwise.

I know this is necro-ing an old thread but I just introduce this game to a bunch of new people and we're doing the "guided tour" of every single expansion. We did this last night in two groups and all of us were also scratching our heads. We chose to kill the stupid captain but were nice to the crew b/c they were scared. Then suddenly the droid claims there is an "incident' and he wiped everyone out. None of us understood why.

My theory, the crew respected and followed the captain's lead.

-If you spare him, he's smart enough not to try anything against Kilran's representative (NR-02)

-If you kill him, the crew spooks later on, doesn't have the captain to reign them in, and apparently get deleted by NR-02's hidden insta-kill protocols

My theory, the crew respected and followed the captain's lead.

-If you spare him, he's smart enough not to try anything against Kilran's representative (NR-02)

-If you kill him, the crew spooks later on, doesn't have the captain to reign them in, and apparently get deleted by NR-02's hidden insta-kill protocols

The other thing is that Captain Orzik is, in fact, actually competent at captaining a semi-warship(1), while Sylas is not, so NR-02 probably sees no *need* to do anything to the captain and the crew.

Key point: once you take over and *spare* the captain, he sees clearly what must be done and does it. When you pull his nuts out of the wringer, so to speak, by sparing him and then repelling the boarders, he backs you all the way, which is all that Kilran ever wanted him to do anyway. Orzik just didn't want to just pile into an unwinnable situation and throw away his ship, his crew and his life, all for what would have been *nothing* (er, because it would have been a lost battle, with the objective not achieved).

(1) Probably the best analogy in Earthly terms would be the East Indiamen, large cargo ships that typically carried fairiy heavy armaments to defend themselves against pirates, although smaller enemy warships had to think twice or even more before attacking them. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Indiaman and in particular https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pulo_Aura concerning a battle where a convoy of British East Indiamen drove off a notionally more powerful French naval group.