Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

nschlan
03.16.2012 , 08:42 PM | #1381
Quote: Originally Posted by RealAeiouy View Post
Pve gear progression in pvp is care bear. Flat out brawling is core pvp. People who don't like to pvp except for gear are not hardcore. I don't know where you got it twisted.
QFT. Gear is a crutch for people to hide behind. Even in WoW, past 2200 everyone had equal gear and it did, in fact, come down to skill (and, to an extent, imbalanced comps, for arenas at least). RBGs past 2200? Most fun I've ever had in PvP.

AugustusD
03.16.2012 , 08:42 PM | #1382
Many percieved PvP imbalances are because of the crappy Hero engine. The engine is so CPU intensive that many peoples computers just can't run it fast enough to get the response they need in PvP. No offence to hardcore players but people who's lives revolve around their computers tend to have better computers. People who are casual tend to have worse machines. (This is not always true obviously). In near full champ gear I have been pwning battlemasters often since I upgraded my PC. For me this is just a fact. I have never been so good at PvP lol. Why? Because as I circle people it seem to take them to long to start fighting back. So while you might think I hit you once I really hit you like 5 times. The lack of combat logs doesnt help either. So there is no way of telling what kind of damage I really did to you. Combine this with a 12% advantage for Battlemasters and you get major QQ. The difference between full champ and battlemaster isnt big at all(sometimes its a slide backward). Add expertise pots and artifacts and champs should compete fine. It doesnt take long at all to get champ gear. See where I'm going?

If the game engine was better people would see this but as it is you need a heavy number crunching cpu like a i7 3930k to PvP with a good frame rate at all times.

nschlan
03.16.2012 , 08:47 PM | #1383
Quote: Originally Posted by AugustusD View Post
Many percieved PvP imbalances are because of the crappy Hero engine. The engine is so CPU intensive that many peoples computers just can't run it fast enough to get the response they need in PvP. No offence to hardcore players but people who's lives revolve around their computers tend to have better computers. People who are casual tend to have worse machines. (This is not always true obviously). In near full champ gear I have been pwning battlemasters often since I upgraded my PC. For me this is just a fact. I have never been so good at PvP lol. Why? Because as I circle people it seem to take them to long to start fighting back. So while you might think I hit you once I really hit you like 5 times. The lack of combat logs doesnt help either. So there is no way of telling what kind of damage I really did to you. Combine this with a 12% advantage for Battlemasters and you get major QQ. The difference between full champ and battlemaster isnt big at all(sometimes its a slide backward). Add expertise pots and artifacts and champs should compete fine. It doesnt take long at all to get champ gear. See where I'm going?

If the game engine was better people would see this but as it is you need a heavy number crunching cpu like a i7 3930k to PvP with a good frame rate at all times.
Which is the problem. You shouldn't need a PC of that level to run this game at 60fps on high. It's an MMO ffs. The engine is a piece of **** no matter what CPU you have. My desktop and laptop are both sick and can run any game, MMO, shooter, rpg, whatever on ultra at 70-100fps...except this game.

RealAeiouy
03.16.2012 , 08:52 PM | #1384
Quote: Originally Posted by Gadian View Post
This pretty much sums up the idealogical difference. I'm going to call camp #1 the PVP community. If you fall into camp #2, then there is a good chance:

1) You do both PVE and PVP
2) You prefer PVE to PVP
3) You don't play this game just to PVP

It all comes down to the philosophical question - who should Bioware cater its PVP experience to? I assert they should cater to the PVP community - including those who only play this game to PVP and have never set foot in a raid/operation. Not to say camp #2 shouldn't PVP, in fact the more the merrier. Just don't expect it to be PVE (wins based on repeatable, memorized mechanics and gear advantages), and you will be fine.

I agree. I don't want to chase those in group 2 away. I just want them to embrace and enjoy pvp for what is. Turning pvp into pve is good for nobody.
I put the AssAssIn assassin.

RealAeiouy
03.16.2012 , 09:01 PM | #1385
Quote: Originally Posted by Varicite View Post
That's not my scenario at all, that's just some drivel you made up. Let's call it what it is, shall we?

That's not the system we're talking about, we're talking about the 1.2 changes for gear. I'm not sure where this fantasy land scenario you just made up came from, but it has no bearing on anything.

In 1.2, there will be PvP gear and you can obtain it like everyone else, given some time. It will be just as good as what the best players wear, but they will probably get theirs faster. And they will still probably kill you, because they are the best players.

As for your last line, this actually doesn't apply to PvP at all, because the opponents you face are dynamic and reactive. They ARE the harder content, not their gear. Their tactics/strategy/skill is the harder content. The fact that they are rated higher than you makes them harder content, usually.

In PvE, this doesn't happen, so the only way to make you progress is through making harder content and giving you stronger gear to tackle it. PvP doesn't have this shortcoming and doesn't need to follow the same model.

I would like to support you in saying pvp gear progression would be like boss mobs getting better gear every time they kill a player. It would create an untenable situation as players just chased the same mob with their gear progression but never killing.

Pve mobs are static and simple. Pvp mobs are dynamic and complex
I put the AssAssIn assassin.

Aurrelio
03.16.2012 , 09:10 PM | #1386
Hi there!

As this thread has surpassed our threshold for thread length, it has been restarted. You can find the new version of this thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363610

Please feel free to continue this discussion therein. Thanks!