Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Expertise stat has to go...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The Expertise stat has to go...

Aliva
01.05.2012 , 08:59 PM | #21
Expertise = Pvp
Raiding = PVE

So if people would rather PVP than PVE, they should be given a penalty. I mean, Operations gear would destroy all those PvP players then right? So a PvE player has a boost over a pure PvP player, but a PvP player is not allowed to have an advantage over a PvE player? Rewarding a palyer who excels in the PvE aspect of the game by making them unstoppable in PvP would kill PvP. You're not seperating to completely different styles of gaming that rely on different tactics.

In WoW, the higher tier PvP players have far more resilence than the honor/valor grinders with bad ratings. Those that compete for the .5% of the rankings titles have signifcantly more resil than the rest of the field based on being able to go get the top end gear based on their rating.

Hambunctious
01.05.2012 , 08:59 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Thiussat View Post
Same old argument used in every gear based MMO. People always complain about PvP only stats and gear. Your argument is old and tired.

The reason why it is a good idea to have PvP armor is for one of the reasons you stated. What about those of us who may not like raiding? Why should we be at a disadvantage because of that? Raiders can go grind WZ's too, you know.

Raid gear isn't any better than pvp gear if we didn't have expertise replacing stats, other than it looks better.

RpTheHotrod
01.05.2012 , 09:05 PM | #23
If PVP needs a reward system, then have it apply expertise to your character, not gear. It has no use outside of PVP, but while in PVP it "activates". The higher the valor you have, the more "expertise" your character earns.

I hate a system where you have to "swap gear" constantly. EverQuest 2 had a style where every ability you had did something different depending on if you were PVPing or PVEing. If you hit a mob with a super hit, you did 15,000 damage. If you used the same ability on a player, it did 3,000 damage. No gear changes needed. It auto applied to skills....not gear.

ShwagATK
01.05.2012 , 09:08 PM | #24
this is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. okay now for my opinions...

expertise is fine the way it is. PVPers PVP, while raiders pve. back in the vanilla days of wow a t2 mage would run through and nuke every single person in one - two shots. why? pvp gear didnt exist and i had somewhat of a life to where i couldn't make raiding my job ( although i will say i wish i could have at the time )

pvp gear came into play with resilience and all of the sudden those tier'd players no longer could insta nuke, infact they were getting blown up. WHY NOT? dont bring your pve gear to pvp and expect to be resilient ( ...resilience get it? )

the fact that wow made it easy to get is whatever to me, made my life easier, and less grinding like a job to do the thing i enjoyed the most - PVP.

NOW if what youre saying is PVP gear has the same stats PLUS expertise as raiding gear then THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING UP TO BIOWARE.

ex: pvp gear - 80 str 100 endurance 40 expertise and XX stat here
pve gear - 110 str 70 end XX stat XX stat XX stat ( all raiding relevant such as accuracy power crit surge ect )

those are made up numbers to make my argument. again, dont qq about expertise i wanna pvp and i dont wanna get rolled by raiders who have access to better gear. im absolutely all for a PVEr being a glass cannon and hitting hard but i want them to die...and fast. generally faster than myself.

questions?
There is no honor, just power.
<The Circle of Jerks>
-The Jerk Legacy-
Fatman - Sith Marauder - 50

Chiricahua
01.05.2012 , 09:11 PM | #25
I agree. SWG didn't have expertise, and neither does WoW. WoW has a Mastery rating which adds more to your talent tree specialization I think.

ShwagATK
01.05.2012 , 09:14 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiricahua View Post
I agree. SWG didn't have expertise, and neither does WoW. WoW has a Mastery rating which adds more to your talent tree specialization I think.
wow has resilience. resilence works the same way as expertise. and generally on pvp gear in wow the offensive stats were LOWER while making the defensive stats such as health higher. a warrior in pve gear would roll around with 14k hp while a pvp geared would have somewhere along the lines of 18k+. less dmg, more survivability, less PVE oriented stats such as accuracy ( 5% was the hit cap in pvp that people had to gem + enchant to reach ) and more for burst such as crit and ATK power

edit: hit cap for pve was what? 20%? i can't remember but thats why PVE Gear > PVP gear for pve. a pvp geared warrior would miss almost 60% of auto swings on bosses and there by lose a **** ton of dps. doesnt apply in pvp because it was only 5% ( + - 2% due to racial stats )
There is no honor, just power.
<The Circle of Jerks>
-The Jerk Legacy-
Fatman - Sith Marauder - 50

Kryptorchid
01.05.2012 , 09:17 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
If Bio had any vision... they would have done away with the idea of a PvP stat... and designed a PvE Stat. A way to make 30 30 30 stats on both gear... with PvE raid gear that adds 10% bonuses too PvE content. That would have been the fix.... PvP stats are the completely wrong way to go about it... No NPC is going to wine that that fully geared raid group is smacking em 10% harder.
THIS! MOTHER *********** THIS!

I have been saying this since Expertise was announced. It isn't that hard to realize a "PvE Stat" is the PERFECT way to separate PvP gear from PvE gear. I don't understand why so many developers are blind to this idea.

Draemos
01.05.2012 , 09:19 PM | #28
another PvEer who wants to win w/ raid gear

Treebyrn
01.05.2012 , 09:20 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by RpTheHotrod View Post
If PVP needs a reward system, then have it apply expertise to your character, not gear. It has no use outside of PVP, but while in PVP it "activates". The higher the valor you have, the more "expertise" your character earns.

I hate a system where you have to "swap gear" constantly. EverQuest 2 had a style where every ability you had did something different depending on if you were PVPing or PVEing. If you hit a mob with a super hit, you did 15,000 damage. If you used the same ability on a player, it did 3,000 damage. No gear changes needed. It auto applied to skills....not gear.
I kind of like this idea.... say maybe every 10 valor ranks you got a % of expertise applied to your character and not your gear. This would give people the chance to wear what ever gear they wish.
"I'm not insane! My mother had me tested!" -Sheldon Cooper

S-m-i-t-t-y
01.05.2012 , 09:21 PM | #30
Its the people who are against the pvp stat that cause the rest of us pvper's to lose our warzones, because they think they can just wander in to pvp and expect to do well like they do in pve.

They do have expertise stims and power ups in the warzones. So try learning how to pvp before you complain about it.