AOE targeting reticule needs to indicate actual targeted area.

ndruo

I personally noticed this with Mortar Volley, I have been told it's an issue with Death From Above as well, and I would not be surprised one bit if it affected other AOE abilities that I have not mentioned:

The AOE targeting reticule only points out the center of the AOE, but does nothing to indicate the actual range of damage. I've heard reports that this is the case for PVE boss AOE as well, which is awkward indeed for tanks and DPS and downright terrifying for their healers.

I can kinda-sorta understand boss AOE radius not being completely discernible as it might be "too obvious" and adds another level of required expertise during an encounter, but I can only kinda-sorta understand this. It seems to be an awkward way to artificially increase a boss' difficulty.

But as far as player targeting goes, I should know exactly what I'm going to be hitting. Please change AOE targeting reticules to accurately indicate the area being affected.

Thanks brahs.

Edited by ndruo

I personally noticed this with Mortar Volley, I have been told it's an issue with Death From Above as well, and I would not be surprised one bit if it affected other AOE abilities that I have not mentioned:

The AOE targeting reticule only points out the center of the AOE, but does nothing to indicate the actual range of damage. I've heard reports that this is the case for PVE boss AOE as well, which is awkward indeed for and DPS and downright terrifying for their healers.

Yep Powertech here to back that up for Death from Above. It actually has about a 3 meter wider reach than what the target shows. I'd like to see them change this too. You have to approximate where you put it in large groups and most of the time I hit my mark, but sometimes I miss =/

Edited by DarrkLore

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd be satisfied if they left the current reticle as is but added a secondary circle that showed the full range of the AOE. It doesn't have to be huge and ugly-obvious. Just a single glowing line or something. Some kind of indication of the full range of the AOE.

As has been stated, this is an issue for all players, regardless of role.

Yep Powertech here to back that up for Death from Above. It actually has about a 3 meter wider reach than what the target shows. I'd like to see them change this too. You have to approximate where you put it in large groups and most of the time I hit my mark, but sometimes I miss =/

I echo Darrklore's statement. In spread out groups sometimes I miss one of the mobs with Death from Above.

• 5 weeks later...

This should get attended. While I've gotten good at calculating the real range of my AoE's it shouldnt work like that. It'd be nice that the marker gets changed to show the area that's actually affected by the ability.

Let's hope some devs take notice :)

Yeah, I do sort of agree, but all people need to know is that we're about to launch a ridiculously lagged AoE that's going to do damage. Hopefully you can run out of the way. Personally, when I first saw that, I was like "What the hell? Now they're just gonna run, making Mortar Volley good for nothing but clearing out an area near a turret or door!". The sniper's Orbital Bombardment shows the reticle while he's CASTING it 1.5 seconds BEFORE any damage begins. It grew on me, but by no means must people be so... unintelligent that they can't figure this out. All (Correct me if I'm wrong) AoEs extend 8 - 10 meters from the middle. If you can't figure out the rest.. frankly in my opinion you shouldn't be playing this game.

Yeah, I do sort of agree, but all people need to know is that we're about to launch a ridiculously lagged AoE that's going to do damage. Hopefully you can run out of the way. Personally, when I first saw that, I was like "What the hell? Now they're just gonna run, making Mortar Volley good for nothing but clearing out an area near a turret or door!". The sniper's Orbital Bombardment shows the reticle while he's CASTING it 1.5 seconds BEFORE any damage begins. It grew on me, but by no means must people be so... unintelligent that they can't figure this out. All (Correct me if I'm wrong) AoEs extend 8 - 10 meters from the middle. If you can't figure out the rest.. frankly in my opinion you shouldn't be playing this game.

I see what you're saying, but it's not as easy to calculate 8-10 meters in game as it is in real life. Mainly because the game is not proportionate. We dont know how tall our characters are. And roughly guessing they're 1.7-1.9 meters, they're able to jump over other people! Real world physics and distances dont translate too well to in-game, but im okay with that. As it is right now, the AoE targeting is a minor problem for some, but it can be really irritating in some PvP situations. Stealth detection, for example :(

pathetic.

you guys want everything served on a plate to you.

why would i use my eyes and brain for a bit when can i have a big red circle on the floor that shows me EXACTLY the area that i AOE.

oh, and also, if you make the circle to point out the whole area, make the AI in game advice me where is the best spot to AOE considering the mobs/players around me. thank you.