Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice can't wait, BTW I noticed a typo:

"Giradda currently has three Arenas of Death set up for his pleasure on Corellia, Tatooine, and an Orbital Station; each one presenting a different layout that will require varying techniques and strategies to master. The Arenas are small, intimate and made specifically for a 4v4 fight. The Line of Sight blockers, elevations and killing fields have been fought over for months to make sure we get them just right. The goal with the areas is never to have players fight with the environment so things like firetraps, pools of acid and other hazardous environmental effects will not be present in the Arena maps. We feel this makes the true focus of Arenas, player-versus-player combat, stand out more and feel more genuine."

Where it says Corellia don't you mean Makeb? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Are there going to be new ranked items, possibly a mount? :D

Edited by LegoUniverseBC

I'm a PvE player and I only do PvP occasionaly on my main and normally only on alts that I'm leveling, but I have to say; This. Sounds. Awesome. Let's just hope you guys can pull it off.

I'm sort of glad you are getting rid of Ranked Warzones though. They didn't get enough support. If they did (things like ladderboards or special rewards to high-ranked players) then things might have gone better. But if you can provide more support to these Arena matches, I think it'll go quite well with some of my PvP friends. Also, F2P getting access to warzones properly? About time. Now just sort out the flashpoint, operation and experience restrictions and this might actually have a good F2P model.

• Dev Post
Nice can't wait, BTW I noticed a typo:

Where it says Corellia don't you mean Makeb? :rolleyes:

So here is the skinny on that. Yes the first picture in the blog post is of the Makeb Mesa Arena and yes there is an Arena located on Corellia. We originally wanted to launch 2.4 with Makeb Mesa Arena but we found a really nasty performance issue that needs to get fixed and polished before we launch it, so Corellia Square will be replacing it!

So to clarify, the 3 Warzone Arenas you will be seeing on PTS this Friday are Corellia Square, Orbital Station and Tatooine Canyon.

Hope that clears things up! :jawa_biggrin:

So here is the skinny on that. Yes the first picture in the blog post is of the Makeb Mesa Arena and yes there is an Arena located on Corellia. We originally wanted to launch 2.4 with Makeb Mesa Arena but we found a really nasty performance issue that needs to get fixed and polished before we launch it, so Corellia Square will be replacing it!

So to clarify, the 3 Warzone Arenas you will be seeing on PTS this Friday are Corellia Square, Orbital Station and Tatooine Canyon.

Hope that clears things up! :jawa_biggrin:

Awesome! :D

You mention about increasing the rewards for winning but I think one of the key reasons why people bail on Warzones is due to the small rewards when losing.

I am a firm believer that losers should never be rewarded but due to the nature of this game, I think that a minimum pay out of say 100 Warzone coms should be introduced because the grind is great.

I am almost certain that this will help see a drop in quitters. The other night, I lost and I was only given 67 coms as the battle was a heated one and went on for ages. Our team suffered 7 leavers. Essentially it was 15 minutes of pain for just 67 coms.

I'm still not convinced that Arenas is the way forward but the last man standing rounds kind of removes my fear now as its a fight to the death, which is better.

Will players be locked in? So if 2 players die quickly, then 1 leaves, will they have a de-buff? Or will ALL players be locked in for the entire duration of the 3 rounds? Something I would favour.

Over to you Alex :)

SWEEEEEET!

Will the new PVP maps be launched with the changes to F2P or with patch 2.4

By the new PVP maps i mean the 8v8 ones.

When will the changes to F2P be implemented?

Thanks!!!

Don't you mean the 4v4 ones? There aren't any new 8v8 maps coming as far as I know. But yes, it seems they are all come in 2.4

No more 8 vs 8 Ranked Warzones? You know how much of your little PvP community you're going to loose if you implement this?

Maybe like a dozen? Assuming that those dozen care.

If you think RWZs were happening before you weren't paying attention, and once they add 4v4 ranked queues it would be a completely dead system. Removing them at this point is housecleaning.

Don't you mean the 4v4 ones? There aren't any new 8v8 maps coming as far as I know. But yes, it seems they are all come in 2.4

refereing to the hutt ball tease possibly hinting on more 8v8 maps and not just focusing on 4v4 arena.

Im just fishing for info on possible more 8v8 objective maps to play on

I am really just in shock that 8v8 objective based ranked warzones will be no more. I feel like arenas will be fun and all but this was a unique niche that this game had and instead of rewarding the community that has been patiently waiting for an update to it, you are just /deleting it and giving us something completely different. Not sure how I feel about that.

Hey Alex, so by that change you basically focus on more hardcore PvP community, and obv players that are exceptional at controlling their classes. Is this the idea?

As a hardcore PvPer myself, Im glad you finally made a right decision.

Edited by Roudysgoodguy

Maybe like a dozen? Assuming that those dozen care.

If you think RWZs were happening before you weren't paying attention, and once they add 4v4 ranked queues it would be a completely dead system. Removing them at this point is housecleaning.

Agreed, and I'm someone who does RWZs pretty regularly. I think an extremely tiny minority of people who do these - which, because of the obstacles Alex wrote about, is already an extremely tiny minority in itself - would prefer their current state over TDM arenas.

First of all, you ddin't mention ANY balance changes coming to support your new systems. You have to know internally that some classes are barely being used because they are less viable as dps. Now that you make arena's a simple deathmatch without map elements like fire to instakill people it's gonna make for the fact that pure utlitily over dps isn't that viable anymore for us PvPers. So you need to bring dps / tanks / heals within the same range or as close to possible so some AC's don't feel left out.

Second of all, we have no indication leaderboards are coming? You're still not gonna introducde systems that make competing vs eachother fun and interesting?

Third of all, you're getting rid of 8v8 ranked wz's which alot of teams actually enjoyed, and even admit not having the systems to support it being a fun way of doing PvP in the game. You know how you can increase the PvP population? BY INTRODUCING CROSS SERVER Q's for ranked play. Yes it's something the PvP community has asked for for ages and no the PvP community on a per server basis still isn't near big enough to make competing fun and challenging (and not a pure facestomp for some teams or utter defeat for others). Please Alex, PLEASE give us cross server q so the PvP population pool is bigger and the competitve scene will thrive.

Thirdly I applaud the way you have introduce a system as to not drag out arena matches needlessly, but something I want to address though: does the gass eventually cover the entire playing field, or does it end up funneling you into a small part of the field and you still have to fight it out eventually? The former would make more sense as to not draw out matches beyond a certain timepoint (which for now, is as you say 5 minutes). 3 different warzones is fun but you have to realize if ultility plays less a role in this (in the form of pushbacks, cc, hardcc, pulls, etc) because of no map elements that you can stun people in to kill them more rapidly, again you need to consider balance alot more and give it a higher priority because right now you haven't mentioned anything about it.

Fourthly, I pray to god you're still working on a PVE/PVP hybrid warzone where you combat eachother with vehicles (or turrets or whatever) to promote the all-out battle feel Star Wars fans know and love. A new warzone & arena map going forward is not enough for the PvP community to look forward to, although it is a very good start of course. But seeing as the arena maps are more about the LoS elements and maybe some dimensions in terms of lower/higher I don't think it takes long for the dev team to introduce a new arena setting, having players test it on the PTS to get rid of imbalances of course.

Fifthly, I hope we can still look forward to space PvP aswell.

I thank you enormously for the work you've done so far and hope the resource effort on BW's part will still be there to support the PvP aspect of this game. Alex believe me when I say this I hope you have the freedom and resources to do what you know this game needs.

You mention about increasing the rewards for winning but I think one of the key reasons why people bail on Warzones is due to the small rewards when losing.

I am a firm believer that losers should never be rewarded but due to the nature of this game, I think that a minimum pay out of say 100 Warzone coms should be introduced because the grind is great.

I am almost certain that this will help see a drop in quitters. The other night, I lost and I was only given 67 coms as the battle was a heated one and went on for ages. Our team suffered 7 leavers. Essentially it was 15 minutes of pain for just 67 coms.

I'm still not convinced that Arenas is the way forward but the last man standing rounds kind of removes my fear now as its a fight to the death, which is better.

Will players be locked in? So if 2 players die quickly, then 1 leaves, will they have a de-buff? Or will ALL players be locked in for the entire duration of the 3 rounds? Something I would favour.

Over to you Alex :)

Honestly people leaving losing WZs is a mystery to me. At that point you've already taken the time to queue, join, and wait the pre-game and play the game to a point where you believe you won't be winning. Why not stick it out at that point, try to get eight medals, get your losing comms, and get another notch on your daily? Especially if it's a hard loss, because that will be over pretty quickly.

I don't know, I think the rewards for a lost WZ are just right. I'd be fine with a deserter debuff with a 15 minute CD on new WZ games if that was implemented, but I don't care too much either way.

• Dev Post
Alex, a question about matchmaking - when queuing as a group of 4 for a ranked arena, will the system match you based on an average of your team's rating? The highest? Something else?

The average of your team's rating. In addition, if the matchmaker can't find a team close to your team's average rating the range of acceptable rating will slowly increase.

I'm loving the changes. However, I do not think there will be a lot of upset players when losing 8v8 ranked. On most servers you have 3-6 teams queing at any given night. So you have maybe 40 players max doing ranked pvp; out of a server population of 1,000 or so plus. I don't know the exact number just seems like a smart idea on Bioware part to take it out!

However, my question is:

Will there be any type of cross server ranked ques as well, or will we be facing people on our server all the time? I can imagine the higher ranked players ;lets say 2400+ would be facing the same people over and over?

Edited by Abbrachmann

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Hutball maps!

Sorry if this question comes accross as thick but I'm skim reading on my phone so I might have missed it. Are these arenas just for level 55 (ranked?) or are they going to be available as non-ranked/under 55 too?

Thanks Alex!