Server lag On Satele Shan is extreme since the Monday Maintenance

Hammaclar

The title says it all, server lag has gone bananas bad. Before maintenance is was around 50 ms for me, now best is about 200, with much of the time more than 1000ms. The maintenance obviously broke something. My system is hardwired and not wireless so it is not the modem. No other applications or services are problematic, this is Star Wars specific.

:confused:

I can confirm that this is not only happening to you. It's affecting me too (all characters, all locations, even Strongholds for crying out loud!). And when I was on earlier (lag dying more than once before I finally gave up for the morning) several people in gen chat were saying the same.

I have confirmed that it's not my ISP or the connection on my end. No other internet related activities are having latency or bandwidth problems. Just SWTOR. And just since Monday's .6.3a patch; though it's notably gotten far worse - it was just annoying yesterday and barely noticeable on Monday.

Something bigger could be going on. Office365, Amazon WS, Salesforce were all down. Salesforce even in Aus, NZ, Ind, Columbia and so on.

That's disconcerting. Well, unless another undersea cable got snipped it's probably something that can be fixed with some good old fashioned IT sleuthing. Here's hoping they get it resolved. But if it IS just the SWTOR servers, the devs ought to jump in with some status updates or just get it cleared up. Please, devs. Please.

I have a question.

I am experiencing lag too, like large spikes

What internet provider do you guys use?

Mine is SPECTRUM

I remember, some time back they had a log in issue, where people couldnt log on to the game

And it turned out it only effected people using one particular internet provider

This information might help them track down the issue with this very bad lag.

Bad enough it makes it unplayable.

I have put my ticket in in the game, and see if we get a response.

People that responded on a couple other threads, also said they had spectrum internet.

So, it is possible this could effect only spectrum customers, for what ever reason.

Please download ping plotter and run in back ground to determine if it’s a server connection issue. Then link a screen image of ping plotter when you see a problem.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

I'm with Spectrum on the West Coast and have had the same repeating in game lag spike issue all day. However one of my guildies is also with Spectrum in the Midwest and has been logged on all day without any issues. Edited by Aghasett

I'm with Spectrum on the West Coast and have had the same repeating in game lag spike issue all day. However one of my guildies is also with Spectrum in the Midwest and has been logged on all day without any issues.

From all the posts I’ve read, it certainly sounds like it’s a ISP issue. But if you would be so kind as to follow the instructions in my previous post, maybe we can diagnose exactly where the issue is occurring and then players can go to the ISP with evidence to get it fixed.

From all the posts I’ve read, it certainly sounds like it’s a ISP issue. But if you would be so kind as to follow the instructions in my previous post, maybe we can diagnose exactly where the issue is occurring and then players can go to the ISP with evidence to get it fixed.

I know you're trying to be helpful, so not to be a dick....but it shouldn't be incumbent on the customer to sign up for an unrelated service to diagnose the issue.

I know you're trying to be helpful, so not to be a dick....but it shouldn't be incumbent on the customer to sign up for an unrelated service to diagnose the issue.

It’s not up to Bioware to diagnose your internet problems for you. They also can’t see what’s happening on your end without you providing said data.

Should or could Bioware have a moderator here to help people having issues or advise them how to diagnose the problem so that Bioware can investigate? Sure they could and probably should. The silence from Bioware lately is worse than it’s been for a while, especially on game problems. It wouldn’t hurt for a BW employee to say “we’ve tested the servers and found no issues. We understand some of you are having issues and here is how to find out what’s happening”..... or some such message.

But what I’m seeing is players are not bothering to check if it’s the connection. They just assume it must be Bioware when it’s obviously not. Even when I’ve offered a way to test, people are still complaining it’s Bioware instead of testing.

It’s not up to Bioware to diagnose your internet problems for you. They also can’t see what’s happening on your end without you providing said data. .

I'm not asking for BW to determine my internet problems, just my connection to the game. I'm the customer, here is my problem....they can then determine any intersections, whether its ISP, geographic location, server, etc. I have a hard time believing that I could personally provide data that they don't already have access to (at least in aggregate). Can they not see see that one of the largest ISP providers in the country is having issues? can they not determine any geographic issues without my input? Do they not know of a latency issue in BFE Kentucky (or other location) if I don't provide them the data,?

I don't disagree that it may not be a BW issue in terms of one they can directly fix, but its still a BW issue because I'm their customer and cannot enjoy their service until its fixed, whoever is responsible for the repair. So they definitely have a vested interest in determining what is the issue is. If they want to see whats happening on my end then fine, let me know what data you need...but I'm not going to sign up for a 3rd party service to do so. I'm just saying your suggestion of tracing, while well intentioned, gets a big *** "no thank you" from me because that is something they should have at an aggregate level. if it was just me complaining, I'd agree...but there seems to enough to indicate a larger issue that isn't going to resolved by individual traces posted on their forum.

Curutz: See this apt metaphor by JediQuaker.

I get that, I do. But what they were saying is the city doesn't know there is a delay unless you detail your route from your house to the mal. You have multiple people complaining about the delay, certainly they can see a common thread without 100 people telling 100 other people, not affiliated with the city, the route they took to the mall. I get that data is good, but certainly BW can see it at a certain level...I doubt they're relying on us to provide it on the forums before they can determine the issue is construction on Mall Ave.

I dunno, maybe I'm just grumpy....but the whole "follow my instructions" part just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm seeing issues between msr*.*.Level3.net and 159.153.*.*

Doesn’t surprise me. 99.98% of my connection errors to swtor were usually related to level3. Thankfully I don’t have to rely them anymore cause my ISP doesn’t pair with them. Also I use WTFast and I’m able to steer around level3 connections in the US once the connection leaves my ISPs control.

I get that, I do. But what they were saying is the city doesn't know there is a delay unless you detail your route from your house to the mal. You have multiple people complaining about the delay, certainly they can see a common thread without 100 people telling 100 other people, not affiliated with the city, the route they took to the mall. I get that data is good, but certainly BW can see it at a certain level...I doubt they're relying on us to provide it on the forums before they can determine the issue is construction on Mall Ave.

I dunno, maybe I'm just grumpy....but the whole "follow my instructions" part just rubbed me the wrong way.

Actually Bioware can’t see what issues you are having because they don’t have monitoring of your system performance. All they can see is if you are connected. I think you need to do a bit more research on how the internet works.

I'm not asking for BW to determine my internet problems, just my connection to the game. I'm the customer, here is my problem....they can then determine any intersections, whether its ISP, geographic location, server, etc. I have a hard time believing that I could personally provide data that they don't already have access to (at least in aggregate). Can they not see see that one of the largest ISP providers in the country is having issues? can they not determine any geographic issues without my input? Do they not know of a latency issue in BFE Kentucky (or other location) if I don't provide them the data,?

I don't disagree that it may not be a BW issue in terms of one they can directly fix, but its still a BW issue because I'm their customer and cannot enjoy their service until its fixed, whoever is responsible for the repair. So they definitely have a vested interest in determining what is the issue is. If they want to see whats happening on my end then fine, let me know what data you need...but I'm not going to sign up for a 3rd party service to do so. I'm just saying your suggestion of tracing, while well intentioned, gets a big *** "no thank you" from me because that is something they should have at an aggregate level. if it was just me complaining, I'd agree...but there seems to enough to indicate a larger issue that isn't going to resolved by individual traces posted on their forum.

Bioware is not responsible for determining your internet problems. What more do you need to understand. It’s not their responsibility to trouble shoot for you. If you are unwilling to do it yourself or use the tools available on the internet, then I’m afraid you are at the whims of your ISP who is more responsible than Bioware. Good luck getting them to help you though because once it leaves their network infrastructure, it’s also not their responsibility (although they do have some control and can help if they are whiling, many won’t).

Also, you don’t have to sign up for anything to use ping plotter and it’s free. If you don’t want to use it or any other forms of testing, you won’t have anything to back up your claims when talking to your ISP or Bioware for that matter. I was only trying to provide a solution and a means to identifying where the problems are so you can take the next step to getting it resolved.

Good luck

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Actually Bioware can’t see what issues you are having because they don’t have monitoring of your system performance. All they can see is if you are connected. I think you need to do a bit more research on how the internet works.

You're telling me that BW can't see that there is an issue with Spectrum customers? they need my data from my modem to their server, posted on the general forums, before they can look into it? I won't pretend to be an expert on how the internet works, but I do believe that BW can do better job of trouble shooting problems facing a large number of customers than you believe.