"old" newbie question

Rokuthoo

Hello, i played SWTOR for quite a while now... i have a basic (not to say stupid) question. I have a really good full set armor and lightsabers. For more than a year i did not find any thing to better what i have. My question is if i buy a armor in the cartel store (some of them are very nice), will i loose all the stats of my current armor, what i will buy is merely a visual effect that will replace the way my current armor looks?

thanks.

Hello, i played SWTOR for quite a while now... i have a basic (not to say stupid) question. I have a really good full set armor and lightsabers. For more than a year i did not find any thing to better what i have. My question is if i buy a armor in the cartel store (some of them are very nice), will i loose all the stats of my current armor, what i will buy is merely a visual effect that will replace the way my current armor looks?

thanks.

On the side of your character ("C") panel, there are numbered tabs (I think there's only one by default, but you can buy more). Press one of them, and equip "for looks" armour in there. It will hide the corresponding piece of your "real" gear without affecting your stats. The feature is called "Outfit Designer".

thanks.

Cartel Market armors and weapons are just shells (with a few exceptions) that do not any have stats. You can, if your current gear is modable, take the mods from your current gear and put them into the CM armor shell. Alternatively, and the better route, is leave your armor as it is and stamp the CM armor to an Outfit Designer tab (those numbers on the right side of your character window). Outfit Designer tabs allow you to wear any look you want (even allowing you to wear armor that you don't meet the qualifications for; e.g.: heavy armor on a Consular) while allowing you to wear any gear for your stats.

My question is if i buy a armor in the cartel store (some of them are very nice), will i loose all the stats of my current armor, what i will buy is merely a visual effect that will replace the way my current armor looks?.

To add to and/or re-hash what's already been said:

The armor from the CM is just empty "shells". You give them stats by adding "armorings" "mods" and "enhancements". (Collectively know as "mods")

If you simply replace the armor you currently have, you will need to add mods to the new armor to give it "stats". You can do this by either removing and re-using the mods from the old armor (if it has them), or buying new mods from vendors on the fleet (and some other places).

If you simply want the look of the new armor, just put it into an outfit slot on your character screen (and click the button at the top to "show" it.)

It is generally best to have a set of "orange" shells as your main base armor and to keep upgrading the mods in it as you advance. You can upgrade by buying new mods or by ripping mods out of new pieces you get as rewards or drops. (If none of your base pieces have augment slots, etc, you can, of course, just use the new piece.)

Note - when upgrading mods it's not necessary to remove the old mods unless you want to keep them for some reason. The new mods can simply overwrite the old ones.

Note2 - When you put things in an "outfit" slot, the item doesn't actually go into the slot - just an "image" is stamped on the slot. You can then put the original item into your inventory, or legacy storage, or on a companion, or even sell it. If you sell or destroy it though, you won't be able to re-stamp it if you lose or change the outfit, natch.

Edited by JediQuaker

Like everyone said the CM armor is only cosmetic, it does not have any stats. If you open your character menu (its mostly keybound to "C") you will see that you have stats. These stats are thanks to parts in your armor, which are armoring, mod and enhancement. You can see these parts when you hover you mouse over a gear piece, but you have to enable to see details in the Inferface Menu.

Thanks to the Outfit designer however, you can just input this CM gear to server as your "looks" and keep your stats just as before.

Note - when upgrading mods it's not necessary to remove the old mods unless you want to keep them for some reason. The new mods can simply overwrite the old ones.
If you are pulling the "old" mod, thinking you can sell it and get back some of what you paid for it, don't. The cost to pull the mod will, in nearly every case, be more than what you will get for it from a vendor, usually many times more.

In general, the only reason to pull mods is to transfer them to an alt with legacy gear. It's cheeper to augment a new piece than to pull the mods and place them into your existing augmented shell.

I don't know the price for 258 pieces, but for 248 pieces it costs just shy of 150k credits per mod.

In general, the only reason to pull mods is to transfer them to an alt with legacy gear. It's cheeper to augment a new piece than to pull the mods and place them into your existing augmented shell.

I don't know the price for 258 pieces, but for 248 pieces it costs just shy of 150k credits per mod.

the price is roughly the same, i have a couple of 258 pieces on my sentinel