Cut Content aka What could have been?

Limariko

I've long been into hearing about little known areas or cut content in MMOs. Whether it's in WoW with Kharazan's Crypt of Upside Down Sinners or the Creepy Children of Goldshire, or here in SWTOR about Darksided Jedi Knights weren't granted the Master title but were given General or Sith Warriors who didn't remove Vette's shock collar and continued to shock her would eventually have her dialog taper down to just begging to have the collar removed before committing suicide by airlock.

I'd like to hear more of what content was present in beta but ended up removed like the Jedi Knight's option to betray the Jedi Council and work for the Emperor.

I've heard it said that was in beta as well as in alpha so who knows at this point.

I'm a little more inclined to think ones like the Sith Inquisitor at one point had a chance to become a Jedi agent on Taris since they were a former slave pushed into this is most likely a rumor, but I could see the one about the Smuggler catching on earlier to who Darmus was and working for the Empire for a while is a more plausible one.

I’d love to hear from devs on this topic, it’d be interesting to hear about, if nothing else.

Maybe they could detail some of the cut content and have us vote on some of it to restore? That would be a fun way to include fans/community in finding ways for the game to develop/grow. (Of course, the devs and writers would have complete say in *how* they go about restoring/adding/including it.)

Edited by VelvetSanity

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that Quinn could be killed off early on once you found out he was two-timing you with Baras. Only reason they cut that part was because he was the healer companion and a Warrior kinda needed one of those, as none of their classes can be speced for that.

I also heard that Quinn was supposed to be a romantic option for either gender of SW.

I also heard the Balmorra Star Fortress recruit was supposed to be Zenith, and I wonder why that didn't pan out as they have Baker on speed dial already. It would make sense that Mr. "Head Tails, Sniper Rifle, and Attitude Problem" would be just as cheesed off at Zakuul camping out on Balmorra as Imperials invading. Balmorra is a polluted, bug-infested dumpster fire of a planet, but it's HIS polluted, bug-infested dumpster fire.

I've heard that Quinn could be killed off early on once you found out he was two-timing you with Baras. Only reason they cut that part was because he was the healer companion and a Warrior kinda needed one of those, as none of their classes can be speced for that.

I also heard that Quinn was supposed to be a romantic option for either gender of SW.

I also heard the Balmorra Star Fortress recruit was supposed to be Zenith, and I wonder why that didn't pan out as they have Baker on speed dial already. It would make sense that Mr. "Head Tails, Sniper Rifle, and Attitude Problem" would be just as cheesed off at Zakuul camping out on Balmorra as Imperials invading. Balmorra is a polluted, bug-infested dumpster fire of a planet, but it's HIS polluted, bug-infested dumpster fire.

I know Quinn, Kaliyo and Skadge definitely had kill options, not sure on some of the others. The outcry over killing off Quinn since he was heals gets mentioned the most since etiher people didn't expect it to be a permakill or didn't know or want to get the ship droid kitted out to be replacement heals. Most of the companions were supposed to have a special quest or two as well, like Khem Val's, Kaliyo's and Vette's but time was getting down to the wire and the rest became the 'have to go do Thing-fade to black-all done' bits.

• 1 month later...

Most cut content dates to original post-launch plans. Varl was suppoused to be a daily area, tho it might have been 'organically' morphed into Makeb which in turn was suppoused to be just a content patch before first actual big expansion. That one had Ziost (Imp-exclusive planet with class stories), Bothawui (Rep-exclusive) & Sleheyron. Ziost map with slight tweaks eventually got released (with a completly different story ofc), Bothawui assets went into Zakuul map. Some of the story content involving Dread Masters/Shroud have been used in Macrobinocular/Seeker Droid quest chains in 2.0 expansion. Sleheyron unfortunately never made it in any form. Perhaps some assets got morphed into Makeb. Funny enough, it's the 2nd time Sleheyron failes to make it into a Bioware SW game - it was cut during KOTOR 1's developement too.

Yavin had different intiial plans too, possibly as part of 1st expansion but very little information is out about that.

Edited by Pietrastor

• 6 months later...

In terms of pre-release stuff, the only thing I am fully aware of is that certain companions could be killed, but numerous complaints from people who apparently didn't actually expect them to die resulted in it being removed. I also heard that in the Jedi Consular story, you would originally receive debuffs for using the shielding technique to save the infected masters. If what I heard is correct, then I imagine it was changed because of how badly it would gimp light-sided players.

In terms of post-release stuff, I've heard that originally the class stories were meant to be expanded beyond their endings, but when the game didn't do as well as expected, EA gut the budget. Thus, the unified story we have today.

IDK about the cut planets [kotor 2's droid planet is an excellent case study for when cutting planets is a GOOD thing] but it seems like most of the cut content is stuff that would have been awesome to have, wouldn't have been particularly expensive, but was cut because of whiny testers. It would be ironic if BW used that experience as their reason for disregarding forum feedback.

I know Quinn, Kaliyo and Skadge definitely had kill options, not sure on some of the others.

I'm pretty sure Ashara was supposed to have one as well, as i recall seing a kill option at the end of the Taris storyline, but then stupid Zash stoped me from doing that. Then she's mostly useless after Taris, you have to find another apprentice anyways and most of her dialogues don't really make sense with a DS SI.

Why she was not granted an actual kill option like these other 3 is beyond me though.

Edited by Goreshaga

Geez, what's with people being "surprised pikachu face" at the fact that the kill option actually kills people?

I don't suppode the Gormak in the Inquisitor story line on Voss was ever supposed to be a companion? I was always a bit bummed we didn't get that dude instead of the amazingly bland Xalek.

• 2 weeks later...
Geez, what's with people being "surprised pikachu face" at the fact that the kill option actually kills people?

I don't suppode the Gormak in the Inquisitor story line on Voss was ever supposed to be a companion? I was always a bit bummed we didn't get that dude instead of the amazingly bland Xalek.

Very much agreed. He was a lot more interesting, and would have been a fine ranged tank.