State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

Coming to your Cartel Market soon.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, this game revolves around the CM atm

Yeah...you gotta love a "State of the Game" update where the only thing worth mentioning (advertising) to the playerbase, is an upcoming Cartel Market purchase...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) It's not like it really matters, I just knew that when they said 6-8, we could expect it in 8. I just don't want 8 to become 10 now that 8 seems to be the new goal...not even mentioning 6 any longer...

I agree. I would hate for that to happen. But, they have been able to stick with their goal so far. (Other then around Christmas, but that was expected.) So, I'm... cautiously optimistic.

My main worry is that after Makeb Qol will be the focus. Qol inprovements should be an ongoing effort. The focus after the first digital expansion should be on the second expansion. Or are we going into WAR-esque maintenance mode?

Good to hear about 2mil new accounts created since f2p. Rest if the blog tho... not exactly inspiring stuff.

Don't take the 2 mil new accounts thing too literally. It may not mean anything like 2 million new players.

I personally was responsible for 3 of those new accounts. I created characters to group up to make a guild. Other than that, those accounts will never be played.

There may be others out there like me.

There may be even more who tried it through part of their capital world, grew frustrated by the punitive f2p restrictions on UI capabilities, and quit.

RETENTION is the key. How many accounts logged in and played more than an hour in the last week? And the last month? And how does that change week-over-week and month-over-month?

They're never going to tell you that, because it's probably not a very positive number.

Edited by DarthTHC

I took away a few things from this dicussion.

1. Cathar will not be launching with Makeb.

2. We will get a barber shop! Exciting that you can change species as well.

3. Most likely guild updates will be in the works after Makeb drops (Quality of life, guilds have been really neglected.)

Anyways, I like the way the game is headed. Though it would be nice to ease some more restrictions on F2P people.

I wonder how many of the devs are going to sit there, read all this then think quietly to themselves

"Iv'e got a bad feeling about this"

:rak_05:

My guess? None. They don't read here. They got their own plans with the game, why bother with, like..... players. :cool:

Yeah...you gotta love a "State of the Game" update where the only thing worth mentioning (advertising) to the playerbase, is an upcoming Cartel Market purchase...[/quote

If I were Bioware, I would focus more in advertising the content they plan to release. That way, subscribers and f2p players will be more motivated to keep playing the game. Cartel Market is working already, now focus on content and give us a reason why we should keep playing and subscribe.

Hmmm.... typical forum responses... get wrapped around the wheel on 6-8 weeks. Lol! 8 weeks is absolutely great despite whatever peeps think might have been said before. No issues in book with content updates every 2 months.

Next... well, you have the Cartelphobics. Nothing to do there but grin and nod. Yes, yes, EA is destroying the world. Yes, yes, fluff will cost you something. There, there. All better now?

Now, to the actual content of the Jeff's message. Ok, so the state of the game is improving. Generally we can see it with increased pops on the servers. Ok. Agree. Good to see and good to hear. But generally that is stating the obvious.

The barbershop is a great addition and a good bit of information. Don't mind that it will cost something, but... l'll reserve judgement until I see the pricing and the setup. Here is an area where subs should get some preferential treatment in my view in the form of discounts or freebies.

As for RoHC? Well, there is no question that a lot is invested in the success of the xpac. I think it will, in large part, set the course for the year. So... we will see. One thing that is still not clear, are the Cathar part of the expansion or not? It seems like they should be, but I have heard or seen it clearly defined.

In general a positive message. Thanks for the update. But a great deal remains to be seen with regard to the success of the game this year.

You would get a lot of brownie points for an update with just the hood toggle. Make a 3 second trailer showing a character flipping the toggle back and forth - it will get many hits. It's hard to imagine how big a deal that is for many.

$10 says that's released as a Cartel Market item, like an emote, when it's ready

"And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer."

Ok, maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm excited about this. Sure, I have some caveats to that - if the cost via cc is ridiculous for a simple change like hair style, I won't be pleased, and/or if there's not some way to buy them with credits via the gtn, I'll be disappointed.

However, being able to finally make changes to a character you built over a year ago in about three minutes and have afterward spent entirely too many moments going "I really wish I hadn't put that scar there" is wonderful! And I've been looking forward to Cathar for a very long time.

Hope this is implemented well.

They said in the post it will take CC to change appearance...better be below the allotted 500/month subs get. I am really hoping subs get 1 free one o month per toon or something like that. Edited by Philastra

As a subscriber, I'm not really feeling the love from EA recently. Why bring things out that require Cartel Coins that could be bought by in game credits? (ie. the barbershop) I'm already resigned to the fact that all major updates I'm going to have to pay real money for but something that should have been included from launch? It seems quite unfair.

Charge for racial changes.

Don't charge for simple cosmetic changes.

At least, not for subscribers. Have it as an cartel unlock for F2P players. That I would consider fair.

"...our 8-week new content cadence..." which was before now presented as 4-6 weeks, which didn't last past newyear (which actually took 9 weeks, but taking longer due to holidays is understandable, would still aim to be shorter in the window then). Well, I don't care if it's 4, 6 or 8 weeks, if new things are added, but the cartel market exclusives I do not count as such.

The barber shop is nice and much desired, BUT CARTEL MARKET EXCLUSIVE? Basic cusomization should be available for credits, at least for subscribers. Not talking about species change or anything drastic, but at least hair/cosmetics should be easy without charging subscribers extra.

With all the cartel market focus it doesn't feel like subscribing will be enough. Do you want to chase off subscribers?

And Cathar... Can you stop advertising them? It started long before beta when you were showing character detail & customization material, and when they were officially announced they kept being delayed and delayed. I was hoping they'd be added with or close to 2.0 (new expansion, new species, new reason to start from the beginning)...

NOW I HIGHLY DOUBT THEY WILL COME THIS SUMMER OR EVEN THIS YEAR! Just stop advertising stuff that is already been delayed so often and readvertised time and again. Just give a more concrete time period for release, if you can't then just don't even mention it. You just keep people strung along, getting their hopes up and eventually they just won't bother to trust anything you say.

Other than that it's pretty vague, but portrayed as a success. Hope that is the case, though sounds like it might just be to ease some minds, so I''m skeptical. To me it looks like it's more and more being cartel market oriented, which tells me it's not doing as good as they want us to believe.

Rock on, thanks EA. While I can't agree with everything you in in your games, I'm thoroughly enjoying SWTOR since head-start. Didn't think I would find an MMO again, after quitting wow after Cata launch, that would hold me for so long.

Thanks again.

As a subscriber, I'm not really feeling the love from EA recently. Why bring things out that require Cartel Coins that could be bought by in game credits? (ie. the barbershop) I'm already resigned to the fact that all major updates I'm going to have to pay real money for but something that should have been included from launch? It seems quite unfair.

Charge for racial changes.

Don't charge for simple cosmetic changes.

At least, not for subscribers. Have it as an cartel unlock for F2P players. That I would consider fair.

I'm hoping that there will be a "Happy medium" with the barbershop system. Like with legacy unlocks and most Cartel Market stuff, you can use either credits or Cartel coins to buy stuff. I could see the major one (Species unlock) costing a bit, but to change from one hair style to another might not cost a whole lot. (20 CC maybe?)

He said a whole lot of nothing. Playable content seems to be a secondary focus at this point. Post-Makeb production will focus on quality of life? Have you ever seen how quickly MMO players consume content? The production should focus on additional content AND quality of life.

You're adding a barbershop feature to the game, but gating it through the Cartel Market. Why shouldn't players be able to change their appearance using in-game credits? I understand charging for a racial change.

Pretty uninspired state of the game address. Take some passion in what you guys do, or has EA beaten the creativity out of you?

QFT

I could not agree more.

Cartelcoins for the barbershop is so LOL, sry €A but why should i pay real money for a tiny little feature that i become for (very little) in game money in every other game i know?

He said a whole lot of nothing. Playable content seems to be a secondary focus at this point. Post-Makeb production will focus on quality of life? Have you ever seen how quickly MMO players consume content? The production should focus on additional content AND quality of life.

You're adding a barbershop feature to the game, but gating it through the Cartel Market. Why shouldn't players be able to change their appearance using in-game credits? I understand charging for a racial change.

Pretty uninspired state of the game address. Take some passion in what you guys do, or has EA beaten the creativity out of you?

I agree, sounds like they have no content planned after makeb, and those 5 levels will be had quickly and back to nothing to do by a lot of people, out of those 2 million ACCOUNTS, what % logs in and plays, accounts do note equal players, all in all state of the game #3 is a big let down, and does not give me hope for the future.. /sigh

As for RoHC? Well, there is no question that a lot is invested in the success of the xpac. I think it will, in large part, set the course for the year. So... we will see. One thing that is still not clear, are the Cathar part of the expansion or not? It seems like they should be, but I have heard or seen it clearly defined.

In general a positive message. Thanks for the update. But a great deal remains to be seen with regard to the success of the game this year.

Cathar were announced a long time ago. My theory is it got swept under the rug because they didn't figure the logistics too well (i.e. would people be allowed to switch toons to new races, only apply to new characters). This I think is the only real solution to that. Seems like a small inconsequential thing, but new races and the ability to change is probably on my high end of things I wanted to see happen. Curious as to how far they'll go with that in terms of just changing skins or essentially let you re-create your character down to body and facial features.

Edited by LordHartigan