Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 01:42 PM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by CedricDur View Post
To Lord Aposno.

It bothers me to call you a liar because I don't know you. You might be a very unlucky person and it is a very abrasive thing to call someone, but at this point we either need to discuss the fact you are lying, or that you have a terribad luck with missions, or that you rolled in an empty server because what you say does not jive with mine and my friend's experiences.

But.

I started with Slicing. Two friends of mine have as well. We spoke about it as we leveled together. General consensus? From the first time we started sending our companions to do slicing missions we got rewards starting with 100 or so credits.

A pittance, a drop in the bucket, such a small profit. But a profit.

Once... in... a... while... a mission fails, or the lockbox does not cover the cost. This is offset by a wide margin by the times when missions drop. From 500 credits (dumb bike schematics) to epic missions (ranging from 5k to 25k).

And still the lockboxes bring that tiny bit of profit. Miserly, I agree. When you have 700k getting a profit of 200-500 credits is almost nothing. But note, it's an almost nothing for *free*. I can keep on getting that while I RP, while I browse the GTN, while I quest, while I do FPs.

If you missed what I posted above I had 200k at 28, 450k at 33, and at 35 I now have 815k with two epic missions yet to sell.

I posted I was going to reach 1 mill by level 40 but at this rate I will overshoot that goal completely.

It is my first character so I have no idea. Is 815k much for a first character at level 35 or about right?



I could definitively say the same about you. My findings are the same for me and my brother in law who plays on my server. They are the same results for every slicer I have spoken to in my guild. from my experience slicing has been nerfed to the ground. Your results seem as a fantasy to me. From my experience I can not fathom how you earned so much from slicing. Even the luckiest slicers in my guild have no where near that success. Every in game person has had varying experiences, but the consensus is that slicing is no longer profitable. If you read throughout the thread you will notice many people claim to have made a profit, while others are reporting their losses. I expect half the people claiming that they are making so much money are lying because these are the same people that cried nerf when slicing was a magic money machine.



I am neither lying nor falsifying data. I am merely making a post so the devs can take another look at slicing and correct the knee jerk over-nerfing they did to the profession. From my own experiences I can not see how slicing is remotely profitable. In this situation I will believe my own experiences to what you have stated as your results. They seem utterly impossible in the post-nerf world of slicing. I hope you are not lying in order to nerf slicing again.


I run the bountiful or Rich lockbox missions. My results have been posted, I stand by my posts. Believe what you will.
Lord Aposno


CedricDur's Avatar


CedricDur
01.31.2012 , 02:08 PM | #372
Very well. Then if we are to assume neither of us is lying I don't know what to say. Though I back up my theory about the GTN making the difference. Best thing I can offer is to post screenshots as I level up and my earnings accumulate.
Leandrea - Jedi Sage @ The Progenitor

100% behind the article.

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 02:10 PM | #373
Quote: Originally Posted by CedricDur View Post
Very well. Then if we are to assume neither of us is lying I don't know what to say. Though I back up my theory about the GTN making the difference. Best thing I can offer is to post screenshots as I level up and my earnings accumulate.

GTN and local server economy will make a huge difference. My post was never on the GTN, but on the ridiculous nerf to lockbox missions.
Lord Aposno


CedricDur's Avatar


CedricDur
01.31.2012 , 02:39 PM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAposno View Post
GTN and local server economy will make a huge difference. My post was never on the GTN, but on the ridiculous nerf to lockbox missions.
...

But then you're taking things in a vaccum. using a WoW's analogy with Herbalism, it is as if you were complaining the Frost lotus (the bonus, rare plants that sometimes spawned when you picked a normal herb) droprate was nerfed while you still make a ton of cash selling the normal herbs.

Screenshots as offered. I went down from 815k by having bought a new helm.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...013120300.jpg/
Leandrea - Jedi Sage @ The Progenitor

100% behind the article.

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 02:55 PM | #375
Quote: Originally Posted by CedricDur View Post
...

But then you're taking things in a vaccum. using a WoW's analogy with Herbalism, it is as if you were complaining the Frost lotus (the bonus, rare plants that sometimes spawned when you picked a normal herb) droprate was nerfed while you still make a ton of cash selling the normal herbs.

Screenshots as offered. I went down from 815k by having bought a new helm.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...013120300.jpg/


First of all, no you do not make a ton of cash. This is completly relevant to your server and server economy. Mission skill drops sell for 5k max, on my server. Augments can go from 1k to 15k, depending on type, and quality. 15k is rare. And they don't always sell.
If comparing to wow, its like you go and pick a frost lotus but instead you loot nothing and end up dropping 200g on the ground.
Lord Aposno


PhoR's Avatar


PhoR
01.31.2012 , 02:56 PM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by LeperJack View Post
Here's a more important question: When was the last time you genuinely did slicing? Not sending out the occasional mission, but sending out several at once over a long period of time and tracked the results?
I specifically said above that I tracked 20 missions straight for three straight nights by hand.
60 total.
Not an overly large sample size, but certainly not "sending out the occasional mission".
That's about 2 hours per night of constantly having all 5 companions on missions for three nights in a row.

From my experience, affection doesn't seem to affect the outcome at all, as C2-N2 is coming back with just as many crits and "failures" (VERY rare to actually fail a credit box mission and get nothing, but if I ever lose money on a mission I count it as a failure) as any of my max'd affection companions.

What it does do is lower the amount of time it takes a companion to complete a mission.
10k affection = +10 efficiency
ı≡≡≡≡≡≡ıı₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

CedricDur's Avatar


CedricDur
01.31.2012 , 03:15 PM | #377
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAposno View Post
First of all, no you do not make a ton of cash. This is completly relevant to your server and server economy. Mission skill drops sell for 5k max, on my server. Augments can go from 1k to 15k, depending on type, and quality. 15k is rare. And they don't always sell.
If comparing to wow, its like you go and pick a frost lotus but instead you loot nothing and end up dropping 200g on the ground.

Okay, then you need to be clearer about how Slicing brings no cash (on your server), and I don't think changing crew skills will make a difference since the path to profit with professions comes from selling to players, not selling to vendors.

This is Rift all over. I rolled in a RP server and noticed nothing I put on the AH sold. I took a look... Cloth armor? There were six, three from the same guy. A whole server had six pieces of armor. Obviously cash can not be made like this.

Seems like you should pick a crew skill that complements your play style and make cash by grinding dailies. The good side is that since the things sell so cheap/badly you can buy whatever you want for low prices too, right?

P.S. it's obvious that the profession should be taken as a whole and not in a vacuum. If we still sold missions for a bundle *and* made another bundle from lockboxes it would be insane. In fact, it was, and then it got nerfed. The profit from lockboxes is lowered because it complements what we get from missions. If your GTN does not sustain mission selling then Slicing is no good for you.
Leandrea - Jedi Sage @ The Progenitor

100% behind the article.

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 03:28 PM | #378
Quote: Originally Posted by CedricDur View Post
Okay, then you need to be clearer about how Slicing brings no cash (on your server), and I don't think changing crew skills will make a difference since the path to profit with professions comes from selling to players, not selling to vendors.

This is Rift all over. I rolled in a RP server and noticed nothing I put on the AH sold. I took a look... Cloth armor? There were six, three from the same guy. A whole server had six pieces of armor. Obviously cash can not be made like this.

Seems like you should pick a crew skill that complements your play style and make cash by grinding dailies. The good side is that since the things sell so cheap/badly you can buy whatever you want for low prices too, right?

P.S. it's obvious that the profession should be taken as a whole and not in a vacuum. If we still sold missions for a bundle *and* made another bundle from lockboxes it would be insane. In fact, it was, and then it got nerfed. The profit from lockboxes is lowered because it complements what we get from missions. If your GTN does not sustain mission selling then Slicing is no good for you.



I am not calling for slicing to go back to the old days of money machine, I would like it more in line with the other professions. Currently the other skills provide multiple products for sale. Slicing produces one item; augments. Mission skills are not guaranteed to drop. As a matter of fact the drop rate has gotten even lower. The other crew skills allow you to actually pick what product you are going to get, which in turn will sell on the GTN.


lockbox missions were over-nerfed. They should bring in some kind of profit. They don't. It doesn't have to be excessive, just somewhat profitable, they way it was advertised. Give us more drops, better profit return. Right now slicing is useless.
Lord Aposno


Vertibirdo's Avatar


Vertibirdo
01.31.2012 , 03:40 PM | #379
*sigh*
I have a total feeling, that i am doing something wrong. I manage to make profit from slicing, and yet people in this thread tell, that it's impossible. Uneasy feeling, really. Makes me wonder, is it me, so lucky and stuff, or maybe others are just a bunch of whiners...

Some clarification, anyone?
Trask Ulgo- Praxedes, Bodyguard.

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 03:50 PM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by Vertibirdo View Post
*sigh*
I have a total feeling, that i am doing something wrong. I manage to make profit from slicing, and yet people in this thread tell, that it's impossible. Uneasy feeling, really. Makes me wonder, is it me, so lucky and stuff, or maybe others are just a bunch of whiners...

Some clarification, anyone?


Any post that start with *sigh* is full of fail.


Its you, you are super awesome. You win at video games, pat yourself on the back. Be sure to come out of your mother's basement every now and then for fresh air.
Lord Aposno