Thoughts on how to reanimate Team Ranked PvP

rolandps

Any ideas? The simplest solution would be reintroducing some sort of mats. Then low-skill teams will queue, accordingly to that the mid-skill teams will start queuing again, the higher-skill teams will queue more often. And so on. Not saying I'd support this in its entirety.

4 vs 4 has to much class in-balance, and players get pissed off by this. Bring back 8 vs 8 Ranked and it will bring PvP guilds back.

PvP guilds are near to zero on my server.

Other ideas;

- create a ranking, title, and some (fluff) based on Guilds successes in ranked

Fluff unique gear color choice for the top ten teams on each server with a point threshold.

You have to bring Guild and team motivation to make people do it more.

Look PvE guilds gain new members now with the new boss. Why? Because he is not easy and people need to work out together to do it.

Edited by limenutpen

Any ideas? The simplest solution would be reintroducing some sort of mats. Then low-skill teams will queue, accordingly to that the mid-skill teams will start queuing again, the higher-skill teams will queue more often. And so on. Not saying I'd support this in its entirety.

So your theory is like lets put in simple rewards so that we get farmers into que. These farmers will encourage decent players to que so they farm the farmers. This will be used by the elite guys to farm the reward farmers and gain a bit more rating by farming the decent farmer farmers?

:D thats what has been here till now. You need something to make the Elites que against elites only, but they will not do that, cause that would pose an actual challenge..... but they just want to farm rating on lower skill people.

In my opinion Bioware should get rid of separate ranked queues and just make regs give rating. So every match you play counts towards your ELO.

Ranked - be it team or solo - is a joke. Seasons last forever, the rewards are not worth it and the attitude of players is just plain bad.

Make regs give rating and fix the matchmaking to ensure better games.

First there were cries of mat farmers destroying the oh so precious queue, now its crying the queue is dead. :o

With upping the weekly the com got exactly what it was crying for, no? Does TR pop at all now?, haven't seen anybody search for groups in weeks. Classic case of careful what you wish for imo.

So your theory is like lets put in simple rewards so that we get farmers into que. These farmers will encourage decent players to que so they farm the farmers. This will be used by the elite guys to farm the reward farmers and gain a bit more rating by farming the decent farmer farmers?

:D thats what has been here till now. You need something to make the Elites que against elites only, but they will not do that, cause that would pose an actual challenge..... but they just want to farm rating on lower skill people.

And once again a useless post by you. You don’t have any clue what’s going on in the community and especially not about ranked players. It’s just a shame that you reply here since I never saw you queuing team ranked anyway.

In my opinion Bioware should get rid of separate ranked queues and just make regs give rating. So every match you play counts towards your ELO.

Ranked - be it team or solo - is a joke. Seasons last forever, the rewards are not worth it and the attitude of players is just plain bad.

Make regs give rating and fix the matchmaking to ensure better games.

Well that is actually in the game according to Eric, he said there is some raiting that the game is tracking in regs so.... they can just use it. That would however vastly depend on a great number of factors and people would complain as hell.

You don’t have any clue what’s going on in the community and especially not about ranked players.

You don't exactly have to be Sherlock to figure it out. Just look at leaderboards, its the same people over and over again, they play, get high rating and stop. Then in the end, after rewards and tiers are announced they fill in their alts and secure top 3 for whatever reason. Even now it was funny to see the last minute top 3s from the know pvpers, its just so silly and so obvious, but if it makes them feel good to have these titles, I really do not mind.

First there were cries of mat farmers destroying the oh so precious queue, now its crying the queue is dead. :o

With upping the weekly the com got exactly what it was crying for, no? Does TR pop at all now?, haven't seen anybody search for groups in weeks. Classic case of careful what you wish for imo.

People like you Who read through fingers only 1/3 of actual texts always made me mad. PEOPLE CRIED ABOUT MAT FARMERS IN SOLO RANKED NOT TEAM RANKED. Got it? Next time pls read threads more attentively.

People like you Who read through fingers only 1/3 of actual texts always made me mad. PEOPLE CRIED ABOUT MAT FARMERS IN SOLO RANKED NOT TEAM RANKED. Got it? Next time pls read threads more attentively.

No, they complained about mat farmers in TR. I know, ground my way through that cess pit of hate to get a full set of augments and most my credits for quite a bit. It was an endless stream of hating. One idiot actually told me he would rather only he and his friends get to play, regardless of anyone else being in TR. Like bioware wants to keep the servers running for his mighty little bottom while the rest of us are excluded from playing.

A lot of voices in the community pushed for this, and were warned of the consequences. Now TR has been ruined for everyone involved. Not sure if Bioware cares or not. Maybe they genuinely bought the pvp propaganda that this would somehow make things better. Or maybe they just got tired of the whining and decided to nuke pvp as asked and are sitting back smirking over it, who knows? For now it just means my alt won't be getting a full set of augments, and as such probably isn't worth bothering to level. Both pvp and pve are very stat competitive in their own ways after all.

No, they complained about mat farmers in TR. I know, ground my way through that cess pit of hate to get a full set of augments and most my credits for quite a bit. It was an endless stream of hating. One idiot actually told me he would rather only he and his friends get to play, regardless of anyone else being in TR. Like bioware wants to keep the servers running for his mighty little bottom while the rest of us are excluded from playing.

A lot of voices in the community pushed for this, and were warned of the consequences. Now TR has been ruined for everyone involved. Not sure if Bioware cares or not. Maybe they genuinely bought the pvp propaganda that this would somehow make things better. Or maybe they just got tired of the whining and decided to nuke pvp as asked and are sitting back smirking over it, who knows? For now it just means my alt won't be getting a full set of augments, and as such probably isn't worth bothering to level. Both pvp and pve are very stat competitive in their own ways after all.

Havent seen anyone crying for mats in tr but saw many threads about whining about mats in sr. Definitely it wasnt pvp players who whined about tr. in any case devs didnt remove mats they just made it much harder to get them through same tr

Havent seen anyone crying for mats in tr but saw many threads about whining about mats in sr. Definitely it wasnt pvp players who whined about tr. in any case devs didnt remove mats they just made it much harder to get them through same tr

I dont recal people complaining about farmers in SR. They all went to TR cause you got almost double the mats. All of ranked is pointless now since they have made one currency, which is PVP ranked coms and you can simply farm those and eventually you can buy any ranked reward. Besides the flairs and titles you get for tiers.

thats what has been here till now. You need something to make the Elites que against elites only, but they will not do that, cause that would pose an actual challenge..... but they just want to farm rating on lower skill people.

As much as it pains me to say it, Mero is right on this. Introducing more mat farmers will indeed entice decent teams to queue...but only to farm the mat farmers. As soon as a better team than them queues, they stop queueing and wait until it's only mat farmers again. These teams are only interested in rating, not actual competition.

For those saying the "be careful what you wish for" nonsense, you are wrong. if granked completely dies from lack of mat farmers, so be it, it deserves to die. There is no point in having a "ranked pvp" mode that only consists of average players beating up on complete noobs and then thinking they're good because they get a high rating. If all of the good granked teams left are unwilling to play against each other then that is their issue. I will be very interested to see what ratings will look like in season 11.

Mero is right on this.

Omg someone pinch me!

But seriously. Ranked suffers with low population and a small band of pvpers who alwyas get top spots with many different ways. Lets be honest they are very very good players, I always said that. They just want top spots secured for them. I do not think there is a way to fix this. There would suddenly have to be way more good players in ranked and that is simply not happening.

I will be very interested to see what ratings will look like in season 11.

Its actually simple, group ranked will become what it was in season 9, it will be a fast and easy way for cheaters to get easy top 3s since overall rating will be low.

For those saying the "be careful what you wish for" nonsense, you are wrong. if granked completely dies from lack of mat farmers, so be it, it deserves to die. There is no point in having a "ranked pvp" mode that only consists of average players beating up on complete noobs and then thinking they're good because they get a high rating. If all of the good granked teams left are unwilling to play against each other then that is their issue. I will be very interested to see what ratings will look like in season 11.
Tbh group ranked is pretty much the only place you can reliably execute complex strats, since solo ranked has no voice comms and also no population for the ELO system to work (meaning you oftentimes don't have enough decent players to execute the more intricate strats). Team ranked was a great thing that the devs inadvertently brought it to life, and it is a shame that it is going to die.

Also, I really do not see how incentivising players to try it in one shape or form is bad. With the current matchmaking, you really cannot inflate people to 3k rating anyways, mat teams or no mat teams. Furthermore, having mats would allow players to get into the scene. Decent players would actually form teams for casual team ranked, that no longer happens (unlike in WoW).

That, and nobody wants to be a decent player but get utterly farmed in team ranked because they're the worst of the total of 5-6 teams who are willing to queue team ranked. Just like how a tournament grade LoL team would not want to be placed in wood league just because only world champions are queueing when they do. The game has a population issue and "punish the top teams for their unwillingness" isn't really the way to solve this.

Edited by Metthew

Tbh group ranked is pretty much the only place you can reliably execute complex strats, since solo ranked has no voice comms and also no population for the ELO system to work (meaning you oftentimes don't have enough decent players to execute the more intricate strats). Team ranked was a great thing that the devs inadvertently brought it to life, and it is a shame that it is going to die.

Also, I really do not see how incentivising players to try it in one shape or form is bad. With the current matchmaking, you really cannot inflate people to 3k rating anyways, mat teams or no mat teams. Furthermore, having mats would allow players to get into the scene. Decent players would actually form teams for casual team ranked, that no longer happens (unlike in WoW).

That, and nobody wants to be a decent player but get utterly farmed in team ranked because they're the worst of the total of 5-6 teams who are willing to queue team ranked. Just like how a tournament grade LoL team would not want to be placed in wood league just because only world champions are queueing when they do. The game has a population issue and "punish the top teams for their unwillingness" isn't really the way to solve this.

But what you're asking for is what was already in place before the recent change to the weekly. The competitive utopia that you're wishing for did not exist then, and it would not exist in the future if things went backwards. Again, all that happened was farming mat farmers and queue dodging. That's what it would return to. At least now it will be harder for average players to farm rating that they don't deserve. Perhaps Mero is right and it will be easier for actual wintraders to manipulate, but that's up to bioware to monitor.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

But what you're asking for is what was already in place before the recent change to the weekly. The competitive utopia that you're wishing for did not exist then, and it would not exist in the future if things went backwards. Again, all that happened was farming mat farmers and queue dodging. That's what it would return to. At least now it will be harder for average players to farm rating that they don't deserve. Perhaps Mero is right and it will be easier for actual wintraders to manipulate, but that's up to bioware to monitor.

Why keep using the present ELO system that has failed for years now? For instance, if "rating" is accrued via points that are gained from wins/losses meaning players are not punished horribly for losses, wouldn't this encourage more to participate?

Say a win gives you 5 points, a loss gives you 2 points... At least you still gain something even on losses, at least you don't lose anything.

200 points = bronze

300 points = silver

500 points = gold

Something like this. ^

First of all, BW has shown they are incapable of stopping queue dodging, win trades, and other shenanigans the players love to employ to gain high ELO.

Secondly, players feel pressure to not lose due to the importance of each win... This only encourages people to avoid losses at all costs.

There's just far too many angles for people to troll their way to high ELO, and it's clear these types of players care nothing that others suffer due to such shenanigans meaning they will not stop.

Having a points system based on wins or possibly wins/losses eliminates the need to avoid losses, it also encourages people to play more matches because they will need more than 10 matches to get a decent rating.

Do you not think this would be better than the present ELO system SWTOR has, and if not, explain why? You sound reasonable, I want to hear yours and others' opinions why this would not be better, or if you agree it would.

Wintraders right now literally queue four bots into team ranked with 1 rating, if there were mat farmers at all hours, those bots would only get farmed by matfarmers. Furthermore, the problem with matchmaking was that you'd have one 2.5k rated person and three people on low rated players so the top team would just keep getting matched with mid-rated teams FAST. That only gave an advantage in the top 3 race, and it has been fixed since.

You couldn't get a top 3 by queue dodging and farming matfarmers at night (because decent teams queued at all hours). You COULD grind up to gold ELO with silver plays by clever queue dodging, but that only means that we want the queue to be MORE active, not less.

Do you not think this would be better than the present ELO system SWTOR has, and if not, explain why? You sound reasonable, I want to hear yours and others' opinions why this would not be better, or if you agree it would.
It doesn't pretend to be a mechanism which separates the riff raff from the skilled.

For all its worth, with the current ELO system, a high ELO does indicate skill (or cheating). What you propose would just take all meaning from the tiers.

Edited by Metthew

Wintraders right now literally queue four bots into team ranked with 1 rating, if there were mat farmers at all hours, those bots would only get farmed by matfarmers.

Usage of bots stopped some time ago due to the system recognizing multiple accounts launched from 1 IP. Unless the people seriously have 4 computers at home running the game. Yes, there are ways around it, but I did not see any one doing it, people launched 1 or 2 bots at most. What happened this season was simply people helping people.

Why keep using the present ELO system that has failed for years now? For instance, if "rating" is accrued via points that are gained from wins/losses meaning players are not punished horribly for losses, wouldn't this encourage more to participate?

Say a win gives you 5 points, a loss gives you 2 points... At least you still gain something even on losses, at least you don't lose anything.

Yes but that suggestion favors those who play everyday. It would eliminate these last minute top 3s, but why should I be punished for not playing 24/7 since I have a family and RL?

Yes but that suggestion favors those who play everyday. It would eliminate these last minute top 3s, but why should I be punished for not playing 24/7 since I have a family and RL?

The same reason you get punished by the 5.10 gear grind, if you can't invest the time and effort for BiS gears, toys, rarities, mounts, etc., well then too bad. BiS pixels should require some time investment.

I don't say it's necessarily fair, but life aint fair and neither are MMOs with handing out pixels...Except! SWTOR, where bad behavior and cheating is rewarded with the BiS aesthetic PVP rewards. All it takes is 10 matches and some "friends" to win trade and voila you get top rewards.

I'd rather see a time investment requirement, than have a easily cheated ELO system that not only rewards the best cheaters but also ruins the competition for those who go to ranked looking for it.

It's a fact that the ELO of individuals is meaningless due to so many cheaters who find ways to get ELO without investing anything. Better to make people put in time and have a system that cannot be cheated.

How would people cheat a wins/losses point system, if a certain amount of points would be required for rewards? I don't see any way people could cheat. What it would do is bring more people to the competition too.

Right now, ranked is notorious for having a small population of toxic, cheating scumbags. Remove the ability to cheat, and well, at least you then have a fair system that everyone has a chance to win in who are willing to put in a little bit of time.

Since when did MMOs start rewarding BiS pixels for little time investment, anyway? Time investment has always been a staple of what it takes to get the best things on a MMO.